Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Building the CalderCraft Imara  (Read 166622 times)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Re: Building the CalderCraft Imara
« Reply #200 on: November 05, 2017, 12:00:13 pm »

Ye, my LEDs are of the warm white kind. Nothing wrong with them. The problem was only due to the roof not being dense enough. After adding two coats of black, everything is ok now  O0
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #201 on: November 05, 2017, 12:15:42 pm »

I had the same problem with the superstructure deck lights shining through the boat deck overhead. I used some black insulating tape to cure it.

Colin

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #202 on: November 05, 2017, 08:29:02 pm »

Here we go again, filing another batch of white metal parts for the engine house structure. It isn't as arduous and boring a task if you can spread it out throughout the build.
The deck house is now ready for priming and painting. To prevent the light of shining through, I will give the inside a coat or two of black. Lesson learned  8)

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

T33cno

« Reply #203 on: November 05, 2017, 09:31:26 pm »

So much satisfaction  O0
Have you even considered what next  :-)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #204 on: November 06, 2017, 06:59:09 am »

You mean "what next" as in "after I finished this build"? Not really... I guess this one will occupy me for another year or so.
Only the flying spaghetti monster knows what happens then  ok2

But if I'm going to build another ship (that's an if, not a when), it most probably won't be steam driven. The Resolve would be tempting, but I'm not sure I'd want to go with another CalderCraft kit. A somewhat more modern vessel with bow thruster would also be nice.
I don't know. I'll cross that bridge once I'm down at the river, I guess.
In any case, don't quote me on anything  {-)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #205 on: November 06, 2017, 08:58:54 am »

Dom...

We see the Talcum powder plastic bottle and Talcum on your work paper  ...are you using this as an anti caking/anti clogging medium on your files when cleaning the soft white metal components?

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #206 on: November 06, 2017, 09:20:05 am »

Yes, that's correct. I got that brilliant piece of advice from ballastanksian awhile back.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
More lights
« Reply #207 on: November 07, 2017, 08:43:19 pm »

Tonight was another soldering session. I made a resistor bank for the machine house lights (two interior lights and one position light on the roof).
I glued the two interior LEDs directly to the electronics board which itself will be mounted on the inside of the roof.
Let there be light  :D

As soon as the weather allows it, I will rattle can spray the machine house.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #208 on: November 08, 2017, 09:29:06 am »

With regard to your leds shining through plasticard.

I am now using A paint from Vallejo model paints in their Metal Colors range. The colour I have used is 'silver', this paint is very high in powdered aluminium so has reflective properties. I paint on two coats of it and then overpaint that with the colour of the actual item -white for my particular application. It seems to work quite well for me, I use it on floodlight fixtures. The led is embedded in resin which is the shape of the floodlight, so the whole thing becomes luminous when lit. The Vallejo has at the moment has done the trick of letting it shine just through the front 'lens'

Edit: its also acrylic so goes on by brush and clean up is ordinary water,  a second application can be done in as little as 20 minutes as well.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #209 on: November 08, 2017, 10:50:36 am »

Thank you, Brian!
Although I don't have any more plasticard structures, that's something to consider in the future and I have saved the link to Vallejo model paints for further use  :-))

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Bend it, bandit!
« Reply #210 on: November 19, 2017, 08:30:42 pm »

And what was I up to in the last couple of days? Well, for one, spray painting the machine house despite the cold and nasty weather. Since the paint won't dry very well outside I bit the bullet and moved the paintery inside my workshop. Oh well.

The windlass and the anchor chains are now installed. I think the rust job on them is not too bad. It looks even a tad better in real life than on the pictures.

And then I started work on the tow rope guards. I soaked the wood stripes in ammonium hydroxide (ammonia solution) to soften the lignin. Worked a treat, but if you ever try this be extra careful and only do it outside wearing gloves and safety glasses.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Sound, Light!
« Reply #211 on: November 20, 2017, 06:47:41 pm »

Fiat lux, let there be light. The 3 SMD LEDs in and on on top of the rear building in action. The windows will be matted a bit and some "ornaments" are not yet painted in their eventual color, but it gives a good impression of what it is going to look.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Slow Progress
« Reply #212 on: December 03, 2017, 08:20:51 pm »

Progress is slow but steady. Rope guards are taking shape, but since I don't have enough clamps I have to draw out the gluing. I guess I should add some more clamps to my christmas wish list  ok2
Anyway, also some more detail added to the machine house (painted the latches and the air vents, added door handles).

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #213 on: January 03, 2018, 07:36:26 pm »

Hey guys, I'm still alive and kicking, although work was a bit slow over the holidays.
Who would have thought that these rope guard rails were that much work  :-)
But now I'm almost done, painting was a bit laborious with two colors and two coats each, but slow and steady will do it.

Pictures show the progress so far. After the paint is dry and the supports are glued in place, I will then apply some weathering.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #214 on: January 03, 2018, 07:51:28 pm »

Looking good!

Colin

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #215 on: January 09, 2018, 08:18:43 pm »

Thanks, Colin!

The rope guard rails are finally done and done. They were not difficult by any standards, just surprisingly complex to make with bending, glueing, painting, fitting... but very satisfying.
Now up to some more white metal parts. The stern capstan... this got to be the worst moulds so far. Lots of stepping, mould lines and foul edges and corners. No way to file this to perfection. I will have to wind a rope around it when finished to conceal part of the imperfections 

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #216 on: January 10, 2018, 10:36:40 pm »

Ooh, that is a sickly baby isn't it Dom. I can see the metal has crystalised and the mould was probably scalding hot when that was cast. Better in resin in my opinion. She's looking a top class model, and like the cabin with all the rivets and rounded plates  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #217 on: January 11, 2018, 09:48:21 am »

Yes, but fortunately this seems to be the worst part of the kit. Everything else I've seen so far looks OK.
But the package with the capstan parts is a t'urd. Even the frame is bent out of shape. But I guess once bent back, filed and painted, it's gonna look OK.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #218 on: January 11, 2018, 11:58:08 am »

Ask them to send you a replacement.

Colin

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #219 on: January 16, 2018, 08:16:47 pm »

Some exciting news: I made myself a late little christmas present and got an Ultimaker 2+ 3D-printer  %%
This will allow me (among other things) to replace some of the more cumbersome parts that came with the Imara kit with plastic printed 3D parts  ok2
I already test ran it with a couple of things I found online (some cool battered oil barrels and a wooden barrel, see pics).
Today I got a bit adventurous and tested my skills at 3D designing... with an easy initial part which is the aft oil tank of the ship. I made it from 2 parts that are supposed to fit together with a triangular guide.
Fits perfectly, but I will have to re-print it again because of a couple of imperfections due to me not calibrating the print bed properly before printing.
Anyway, looking forward to doing some of the fittings in 3D. The refrigerator and the water tanks come to mind  :-)

Can you tell I'm excited?  :police:

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #220 on: January 17, 2018, 10:43:40 am »

I would also be excited it I could get quality like that..   

Looks great.   :-))

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #221 on: January 17, 2018, 11:08:40 am »

Thanks  :-)

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #222 on: January 17, 2018, 02:19:26 pm »

Beautiful work. I am very jealous... %)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #223 on: January 18, 2018, 09:18:13 am »

Thank you, Footski!  :-)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #224 on: January 19, 2018, 07:09:03 am »

The second time around, the aft oil tank came out much better after properly calibrating the printer bed plate. No more warping of the corners.
Also, I 3D printed the large water tank that will eventually sit somewhere on the main upper structure. Of course this ain't no very challenging part to print as it's basically just a square block of plastic, but it was still fun to make instead of the wooden parts provided with the kit  {-)
However, I got a bit more adventurous yesterday and CAD-designed the wooden aft rope crate. Took me about an hour and a half to design according to the plans. This will be a bit more challenging to print as the top section contains some overhanging of the top boards, which is by nature a bit difficult to print. I will probably have to try-and-error some printer settings to print it OK.
I intend to print it with wood filament to give it a, well, wooden look. You guys (and gals) will be the first to know how it turns out. Watch this space  :-)

Anyway, the aft capstan is also work in progress, pictures showing assorted parts in different states (primed, first coat of color etc).
Also you can see some 3D printed "battered barrels" I was talking about in an earlier post.

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.