Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Building the CalderCraft Imara  (Read 166603 times)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Re: Building the CalderCraft Imara
« Reply #350 on: November 21, 2018, 07:08:18 am »

Railings look very good. Well done.

Thank you, Colin!

What were the generator supply voltages?....110V or 240V?

[just wondering for the refrigerator?, or if a refrigerator was actually in the Bridge area?]........Derek

Derek, I don't know about the voltages on the actual vessel, but according to the plans of the kit, there's supposedly a refrigerator in the captain's den. Don't know about its operating principle, but it may as well have been a gas driven absorption refrigerator for all we know.
The one from the kit is provided from wood panels, however, and I don't like that mainly because of the wooden texture  %)
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #351 on: November 21, 2018, 10:19:52 am »

BTW, I had to glue the wire railings to the stanchions instead of soldering. The heat would have melted the handrail which needed to be in place for alignment  %)
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #352 on: November 27, 2018, 08:47:46 pm »

Started building the shack. Some sanding needed as I go, but I don't glue anything to the deck as of yet so I can trim the parts as needed.
After that I'll just have to glaze over the seams.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #353 on: December 09, 2018, 07:55:02 pm »

While sorting out the next batch of wooden parts I need for the kitchen, I realised that I somehow overlooked that the deck actually was supposed to be made from two layers of wood  :o
Oh well, too late for that now and I don't think anyone will notice or miss the second layer  :police:
Anyway, sanding and glazing some parts for the sink unit and cupboards.

By the way, any ideas what the strange parts in the third picture are for? Can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.

Dom

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #354 on: December 09, 2018, 08:00:42 pm »

Cradles for the ship's boat?

Regards
Ray

awvs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #355 on: December 10, 2018, 12:32:34 pm »

These are the deck brackets for the side companion ways of the superstructure (front and back).

Regards
Wilhelm

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #356 on: December 10, 2018, 06:22:13 pm »

Ah, you mean parts #62 and 63 on the plan?

Thanks!
Dom

awvs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #357 on: December 10, 2018, 09:12:11 pm »

Yup, parts #62 & 63. I am working on an Imara too. Thanks for your build log.

Regards
Wilhelm

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #358 on: December 11, 2018, 07:01:06 am »

I am working on an Imara too.

Aaaah, a fellow Imara builder  :embarrassed: %%
Would you like to show us some pics of your build?

Dom

awvs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #359 on: December 11, 2018, 04:06:33 pm »

Hi Dom,
So far I have done only basic work on the hull and preparing some of the building modules. Painting the hull and most of the bigger parts has to wait until spring time. I hate painting inside the house and it is way too cold in Canada right now for this job.  {:-{ So far very few items have actually been mounted on the superstructure.
Did your kit come with brass stanchions, mine are all white metal?
Regards
Wilhelm

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #360 on: December 12, 2018, 07:25:05 am »

Did your kit come with brass stanchions, mine are all white metal?

That looks all very neat, Wilhelm! Thank you for posting your pics. I like your personal touches like the map on the wall in the cabin!
Yes, my kit came with brass stanchions, but I understand that they used to be white metal in older kits. Maybe yours is from an older batch? I would suggest you either contact your supplier for replacement or get some brass ones from somewhere else and discard the white metal ones as they sure bend very easily  {:-{

Dom

awvs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #361 on: December 12, 2018, 06:17:52 pm »

Hi Dom,
my kit must be one of the older ones, no brass stanchions and no laser cut wood. I just ordered the brass stanchions from Cornwall Model Boats in England. Let's see how it goes.

Regards
Wilhelm

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #362 on: December 12, 2018, 07:41:11 pm »

Did you get an older kit from your seller or did you just buy it some time ago? Just wondering.
And just as a reminder, should you ever want some of my 3D parts for your kit (to either have them printed or print them yourself), feel free to download them from thingiverse.

Dom

awvs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #363 on: December 12, 2018, 08:09:41 pm »

Hi Dom,
And thanks for your generous offer. I might get in contact with you concerning your door hinges which I really like.
I did buy the kit about a year ago not knowing about the changes and improvements. Oh well, in the end it is not a big deal, you win some and loose some.

Anyway, I will keep an eye on the progress of your build. Well done so far!

Regards
Wilhelm

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Tea Time
« Reply #364 on: December 27, 2018, 02:28:53 pm »

Tea time, everybody!
Tea got a bit dark, I reckon  :embarrassed:

Dreadnought

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #365 on: December 27, 2018, 05:43:06 pm »

That's brilliant!  :-)) 
I love the detail!!  :-))

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #366 on: December 27, 2018, 06:08:36 pm »

Thanks!
The fridge is empty and non-functional, though  :-)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #367 on: January 08, 2019, 07:30:05 pm »

I found some nice stands for my Vallejo bottles and Revell thinners and cleaners on Thingiverse which I printed over the weekend. Adds a neat and tidy touch to the workbench  :-))
Model wise I started building the rails for the stairs to the main deck. Although I'm rather good at electronics soldering (if I may say so myself), I have zero practice in soldering brass stanchions. I think it shows  Some tidying up with the file will be necessary.
Inspired by Wilhelm's build, I added an Africa map to the captain's wardroom wall. Filling, sanding and touching up the corners of the cabin is also high on top of the to do list.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #368 on: January 08, 2019, 08:58:28 pm »

Oh, I just forgot... I also designed a foot for the binnacle. The kit comes with a white metal base, which is OK but I don't have the correct diameter tube for the pipe that goes between the foot and the actual binnacle, so I fired up the CAD and made one. The plans and descriptions do not provide any measurements, so I had to guess the hight from a picture I took at a maritime museum in Husum, Germany, while on vacation there. I printed it in black PLA because I want to fit an LED to illuminate the binnacle from the inside. The black color will help preventing any light leakage through the walls of the foot. I try not to repeat any previous mistakes  %)
Binnacle not yet filed and sanded, just popped it onto the base as proof of concept.

awvs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #369 on: January 08, 2019, 09:17:17 pm »

Hi Dom,
your railings and your binnacle are looking pretty good. I like your 3D printing skills.

The weather gods were kind to me and I could paint many parts of the main superstructure and could almost finish it. I hope you are not offended if I attach a view pictures . By all means, I don't intend to hijack your excellent build log.

Kind Regards
Wilhelm

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #370 on: January 09, 2019, 06:35:45 am »

I hope you are not offended if I attach a view pictures . By all means, I don't intend to hijack your excellent build log.

Au contraire, Wilhelm, I'm always glad to see pictures of other Imaras. Not least so I can refer to them with my own build. Keep 'em coming  :-))
Wow, so much progress on your upper structure. Looking very good indeed!

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #371 on: January 28, 2019, 07:52:55 pm »

The binnacle is now finally done. I mixed and matched some of the white metal from the kit with 3D printed parts from my own making to get the result I wanted.
I still couldn't find a convincing and satisfying dark brown "wood" color, so I primed the base with a mixture of Revell wood brown (way too light for my taste) with some Revell "rust". This got me there somehow but I still used wood glazing afterwards. I'll have to check out Vallejo colors to see if they have something convincing.

Anyway, I painted the binnacle top with Tamiya brass polish and used the two red and green "iron balls" from the kit, but without the collar because they would just kinda stick out on the side, but actually they would be mounted on top of some "wings", so I designed and printed a new collar that would also fit the compass. Today I fitted the base with an LED to illuminate the compass inside the binnacle from below.

The images show the evolutionary building process.

awvs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #372 on: January 28, 2019, 08:00:29 pm »

Hi Dom,
simply amazing.

Wilhelm

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #373 on: January 28, 2019, 08:51:58 pm »

Thanks, Wilhelm!
Except my compass rose looks a bit like a kindergarten drawing  :-X But then again, I guess it won't be much of an eye-catcher inside the binnacle. Still, I like your compass rose way better. Looks like you just printed one from a photograph?

Dom

awvs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #374 on: January 28, 2019, 09:48:46 pm »

Yes, I copied a compass rose from the internet to photopaper, cut it with a pair of scissors and applied clear spray paint. Nevertheless, the illuminated binnacle is a great idea and you did a fine job.

Regards
Wilhelm
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.