Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Building the CalderCraft Imara  (Read 166694 times)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Re: Building the CalderCraft Imara
« Reply #375 on: January 31, 2019, 08:05:29 pm »

Today I soldered the SMD LEDs for the interior lights and the red and green navigation lights. The latter are the smallest pieces of electronics that I ever have put a soldering iron to  :-)
With only 3 x 1,5 mm they are rather tiny and delicate indeed. I used 0,3 mm enameled copper wire for the connection. It's considerably sturdier than the 0,1 mm wire that I had to use for the mast lights, but I will still be a ble to conceal it well inside the structure.
This gives a total of 5 lights for the cabins and bridge (two warm white interior lights, one warm white light inside the binnacle, and one red and green position light, respectively.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Dreadnought

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #376 on: February 01, 2019, 05:50:46 am »

Wow those LEDs are really small!  :-))

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #377 on: February 03, 2019, 03:31:34 pm »

Yes, they are, aren't they? They are only about half as "big" as the warm white ones. Didn't realize it until I started soldering the other day.
But now this is done and I glued the stairs and railing into place. Next up is the woodwork for the bridge.
As a side project, I started weathering some fender tires. They're still fresh and shiny, this will not do  :-) I will apply several coats of Deadflat from the Rustall set until they look old and worn and then work my way up from there with rust, moss, stains, and what not.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #378 on: February 19, 2019, 08:42:04 pm »

Some more work done:
For the lamp wires, I milled channels into the lower part of the bridge deck. This will ensure that I can glue the top part of the deck flush onto it. At least that is the intention. I must confess that I didn't think this completely through. But I will deal with the wires once I have all of the parts ready  :embarrassed:
The lower part of the deck is now also filled, primed and painted white. Although it takes ages with the airbrush, it gives a neat finish. And I can paint no matter what the weather outside.
The boxes for the position lights are also assembled, sanded, filled, primed and painted white. Next off will be painting the inside red and green, respectively.
The railing boards for the bridge are filled, sanded and glazed.
The fender wheels got a coat of flat and some dirt pigments. Not yet finished as I intend to experiment with some washes (rust, moss, dirt).

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #379 on: February 21, 2019, 08:16:24 pm »

I used Vallejo liquid mask to protect the edges of the position light boxes before airbrushing the insides red / green. I had no previous experience with this stuff safe for a youtube tutorial. It turned out well enough, but i still had to amend a couple of spots where the color managed to penetrate the rim. Still, it's a nice option to have for masking difficult areas.
All they need now is a small hole for the wires and a coat of varnish.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #380 on: February 25, 2019, 07:35:47 pm »

Test running the position lights and flush-mounting the wires for all the lamps. Binnacle is now glued to the bridge deck and its wires will also fit the groove in the board below.
After that it's all clamps on deck; the two pieces of the bridge deck are joined with the wires sandwiched in between.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #381 on: March 05, 2019, 07:54:37 pm »

A new batch of white metal parts plus the 3D-printed upper water tank are now ready for priming and painting. I also made a couple of lampshades for the kitchen and the wardroom.
The telegraphs need some dials - I sketched them up in Inkscape and printed them. The dials are rather tiny, but at least "STOP" and a couple of other signs are still legible  :-)
I wish I would have made the same with the compass rose  %)  Too late for that now.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #382 on: March 07, 2019, 08:34:44 pm »

Dials are glued into the telegraphs. Levers and varnishing next up.

awvs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #383 on: March 08, 2019, 01:20:10 am »

Hi Dom,
the dials are looking great. :-)) :-))

Regards
Wilhelm

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #384 on: March 08, 2019, 02:16:59 am »

Hullo Dom.......are the Telegraphs repeaters for the Bridge Wings?.......Derek............[getting thirsty for some steaming  O0 ]
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #385 on: March 08, 2019, 07:03:15 am »

Thanks, guys!  :-)
Derek, not exactly bridge wings. But she does have one set of telegraph and speaking tube on either side of the helm.

I will have to polish the Mr.Metal brass color with a cotton bud to make it shine and then preserve it with a coat of clear metal gloss varnish.

Dom

awvs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #386 on: March 08, 2019, 03:06:46 pm »

Hi Dom,
I just finished the control panel with the shockwave2 sound module.

Wilhelm

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #387 on: March 10, 2019, 07:15:50 am »

Looks impressive, Wilhelm! What are these counters for? They look like time bomb displays in movies  :o

Dom

awvs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #388 on: March 10, 2019, 12:53:17 pm »

Hi Dom,
Sorry to disappoint you, these are DVM's (Digital Volt Meters) to check the voltage of the port and starboard batteries. The one on the left hand side checks the output voltage of the UBEC for the Rx..

I am still waiting for warmer weather in order to paint the hull. >>:-( >>:-(

Regards
Wilhelm

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #389 on: March 11, 2019, 08:02:06 pm »

Ah, volt meters, nifty!  :-))

Some more painting and weathering done: lampshades, telegraphs, helm, upper water tank with some rather rusty plumbing. Also a piece of brass tube with copper finish. This will contain the wires and will run inside the cabin.

Dom

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #390 on: March 22, 2019, 06:58:12 am »

Bridge railing cut and glued. Unfortunately the glue didn't hold the one corner in place (me taking off the duct tape too early may also have been part of the problem  %)  )
Will have to tear it apart and firmly glue in place again.
The rail on top will once again be 3D printed and is already work in progress. Also in preparation are the six pillars that will support the bridge deck.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #391 on: March 22, 2019, 08:15:16 am »

She’s looking so crisp  :-))   :-)
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #392 on: March 22, 2019, 10:11:54 am »

Thank you, Sir! Just don't you go a-lookin' too closely  :embarrassed:

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #393 on: March 31, 2019, 07:29:59 pm »

Voila, the bridge railing from the 3D printer. After sanding and glazing I glued it to the balustrade along with the decorative strip.
The four brass pillars will support the bridge deck. I wrapped the connection with copper wire and added a drop of superglue to hold everything in place.
The white parts of the bridge deck still need some touching up. Also still to-do are the doors to the captain's lair and the kitchen.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #394 on: March 31, 2019, 11:59:05 pm »

What plastic did you use?   :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #395 on: April 01, 2019, 09:02:40 am »

Martin,

I used colorFabb woodfill filament. It's PLA with 30% of wood fibre. After sanding, it looks and feels almost like an ordinary piece of timber.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #396 on: April 01, 2019, 10:59:57 am »

Beautiful build ... But (I have to ask!) what modelling use is the sieve in post #391?  %%

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #397 on: April 01, 2019, 12:39:18 pm »

Andy,

Good question! I use the sieve for washing and rinsing the white metal parts after filing them  :-)

Dom

Rmay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #398 on: April 01, 2019, 03:52:18 pm »

Been watching your build for some time now - great work. Are you happy with the props you chose? 65mm?

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #399 on: April 01, 2019, 08:59:19 pm »

Thank you! The propellers are 75 mm four bladed - they're what Krick recommend on their web page for steam propulsion.
If you're going with electric motors, they're recommending 65 mm three bladed.
Can't say much about them so far, though. Only had her running in the tub once so far  :-)  But they produced lots of wash when pushed.

Dom
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.