Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Building the CalderCraft Imara  (Read 166712 times)

Rmay

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Building the CalderCraft Imara
« Reply #400 on: April 02, 2019, 05:11:45 pm »

Been watching your build (again, great work) while doing research on my next build - a Marie Felling. The hulls are the same, or at least that's what I've read. I can see several of the metal fittings are the same as well. Mine will be electric and most likely go with a 65mm prop. Was looking at the same set you have, but also considering the solid brass props. But not sure if the performance/aesthetics difference is worth the 100% increase in price %)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #401 on: April 03, 2019, 12:31:49 am »

Dom......this is an interesting scenario......

"The propellers are 75 mm four bladed - they're what Krick recommend on their web page for steam propulsion. If you're going with electric motors, they're recommending 65 mm three bladed." :o

This is sort of back to front to conventional engineering ....[99%] of propellers for steam applications have a higher [or more aggressive] pitch ratio to diameter over electric drive

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #402 on: April 03, 2019, 07:51:56 pm »

(...)also considering the solid brass props. But not sure if the performance/aesthetics difference is worth the 100% increase in price %)

That hull effectively looks exactly like the Imara's. Didn't know that there was another model based on her hull out there. Interesting. Please do keep us updated on your build!
I just took a shot from her rear end (I know, not a very polite thing to do with a lady  ok2 ). Maybe this helps for your decision process. Unfortunately you can also see how very damn sloppy her water line is in that area  :((  This is actually very embarrassing 

This is sort of back to front to conventional engineering ....[99%] of propellers for steam applications have a higher [or more aggressive] pitch ratio to diameter over electric drive

Interesting fact, Derek! I would have thought that with steam engines, having a much slower rotary speed than electric motors, bigger propellers would make perfect sense.

Dom
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Rmay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #403 on: April 03, 2019, 08:33:28 pm »

These are Googled images of the Marie Felling. She was built by the same company as the Imara. She operated out of Mombasa harbor from the late 1920's into I believe late 70s/early 80s. I know showing a ladies backside could be considered bad form - but in this case we could be considered like a doctor, right :embarrassed:

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #404 on: April 04, 2019, 01:09:13 am »

Dom.....I was not questioning the recommendation by Krick ..vis ...steam or electric, and the option for alternate propellers.......however if the steam powered prototypical has large 4 blade propellers, then an electric powered model could also remain as prototypical with large 4 bladed propellers and use a speed controller to achieve suitable shaft speeds  :-))

It is acknowledged that when the model Imara was first produced, larger current capacity electric speed controllers would have been limited to the likes of Bobs Boards    {-)  so this may have influenced  the Krick recommendations?......any thoughts?

So we see that the Marie Felling appears to have used the same Builders hull design & build, however her steam machinery may have been different?

The other possibility is her intended location just below the equator & higher temperatures may have dictated the steam plant require more air and hence the extra pair of very large air intake ventilators just behind the bridge....being over & above those fitted to the Imara etc

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #405 on: April 14, 2019, 03:24:36 pm »

It's almost time to marry the bridge with the main structure. Lower water tank is finished and glued in place.
The pillars are also painted and rusted and waiting to be put in place. Wiring is sorted and threaded through the deck. After the bridge deck is glued in place, I can then thread the short piece of "copper" tube which will contain the wires from below.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

awvs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #406 on: April 15, 2019, 01:04:18 am »

:-)) :-)) :-)) Great. I am looking forward to the next set of pictures.

We did have a warmer day last week and I could paint the Deck, today back to 0 Celsius. Maybe it is getting better next week.

Regards
Wilhelm

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #407 on: April 15, 2019, 07:38:59 am »

You need some chess men for the crew.  %%

Rmay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #408 on: April 15, 2019, 02:23:34 pm »

Luis over at Shapeways makes several 1/32 merchant crew that would look right at home on your Imara. 
https://www.shapeways.com/product/Y7VC4SDNY/1-32-merchant-navy-crew-set-1-5?optionId=60914838&li=marketplace
I bought a few from him and like the quality. He's doing some of the work in house, so the prices are better too.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #409 on: April 15, 2019, 08:08:58 pm »

:-)) :-)) :-)) Great. I am looking forward to the next set of pictures.

Thank you, Wilhelm. You won't have to be waiting long for the next set of pictures, as you will see below  :-)

You need some chess men for the crew.  %%

That's a good idea for putting this tile floor to some good use  :}

Luis over at Shapeways makes several 1/32 merchant crew that would look right at home on your Imara.

Thank you for the link! However, I have already a whole crew of sailors standing by for the maiden voyage  :-))

Just washing the glue off of my fingers after marrying the bridge deck with the main structure. After the glue cures I will need to do some touching up here and there and of course there's still yet some decorative strips and stuff like that missing.
One thing after the other...

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #410 on: April 17, 2019, 09:11:17 pm »

I fed the wires into the tube and made the electric connections to the resistor bank at the underside of the superstructure. The wires there are still a bit of a mess and I will have to disentangle them a bit before continuing  :-)
But I'm happy to report that all the lights are lit (kitchen, captain's den, green and red position light, and binnacle).

Rmay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #411 on: April 18, 2019, 03:47:03 pm »

Impressive!

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #412 on: April 18, 2019, 08:50:27 pm »

Thank you!  :-)

awvs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #413 on: April 19, 2019, 03:48:30 am »

Hi Dom,
keep up the good work. Great progress. :-))

Wilhelm

Rmay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #414 on: April 26, 2019, 02:22:55 pm »

Started my build of the Marie Felling over at RCGroups:
[url][/https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3291877-Marie-Fellingurl]
Hopfully I can build it nearly as well as your Imara!

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #415 on: April 27, 2019, 08:12:51 am »

Thank you, guys!  :-)

And I shall follow your Marie Felling build, that looks interesting!

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #416 on: May 05, 2019, 01:41:05 pm »

I think I still owe you a picture of the wire salad I made with all of the connections from the lamps. Here you go!

Otherwise I've been busy with a small side project that hasn't got anything to do with model boats. I've always been a fan of MYST, the puzzle computer game.
I love the cover artwork from the soundtrack CD album (see picture below) so I went and recreated the steam-punky cogwheel and logo in CAD and made a 3D-print of it.
After some filling and painting it now makes a nice prop for the bookshelf.

I shall now return to the Imara build at hand  :}

awvs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #417 on: May 05, 2019, 03:11:29 pm »

Hi Dom,
you better draw some nice schematics of your "wire salad". In a couple of years you ask yourself what did I do...…. just my experience. It also helps if you decide to sell the model some day.

Kind Regards
Wilhelm

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #418 on: May 05, 2019, 08:10:34 pm »

Sound advice there, Wilhelm!

Lower wooden band around the cabin is now in place.
I almost forgot the doors to the cabin and kitchen. Cutting and glueing the windows was a bit messy... the canopy glue cures crystal clear but one still can see the mess I made  <*<
Door hinges will be painted brass.
Speaking of brass: I never quite liked the brass colored evaporator. Now that I got the whole range of Vallejo metal colors, I decided to go with "Dull Aluminium". Picture showing coat one of two  :-)

Dom

awvs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #419 on: May 05, 2019, 08:28:09 pm »

Hi Dom,
looking good.  Everything is coming together quick now.  O0
Yup, no matter what, if you use canopy glue or something else, you can see the smallest mess in the windows.

I am still waiting for parts from the UK to finish the IMARA. I am also looking for three scale figures (1/16) for my Lobster boat. Any advice?

Anyway, I am looking forward to your next report.

Wilhelm

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #420 on: July 06, 2019, 10:18:04 am »

It's been a while and I haven't done as much in the last couple of weeks, but still some progress on the bridge and stack.
Thought I'd show you a couple of pictures of the progress.

While drilling the holes for the funnel platform, some of the plastic chipped away since I forgot to cover it with a piece of adhesive tape. Some minor repair work necessary there. Fortunately I still have some paint left in that Tamiya sand color spray can, since they're no longer available over here in Switzerland.

Next up are the stairs leading up to the bridge, after which I can complete the railings.

I'm still mulling over the decision what color to use for the steam whistle and fog horn. They're painted black as for now, but maybe I'd rather go with some metallic color. Brass? Dull aluminium? Steel? Any suggestions, guys? 

Rmay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #421 on: July 07, 2019, 03:53:40 am »

Completely un-scientific it appears that the Marie Felling (built by the same company) may have had a shiny brass whistle. And, again in my opinion this picture of the Perseverance the whistle doesn't appear to be black. However (and this is where my opinion becomes totally useless %) ) the ship's bell in both pictures does not appear to be brass. I took note that the engine telegraph on the Marie Felling is not brass, but more of an shinny steel or aluminum in color.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #422 on: July 07, 2019, 08:59:34 am »

Brilliant. Thanks a lot!  :-))

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #423 on: August 04, 2019, 07:19:33 pm »

Moving on to the stairs and railings to the bridge. After assembling and painting the stairs, I realized that they turned out turds. Part of it is me *cking up, of corse, but it's also due to the white metal parts not lining up properly. So naturally I'm blaming it all on the white metal parts  ;D
I found some stairs on Thingiverse for the Titanic that I could modify slightly to fit my needs. Off to the printer they went. Perfect replacement  :-))
The railings are also bent and soldered. Everything is now waiting for a lick of paint which I will probably do later this week.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #424 on: August 04, 2019, 07:26:16 pm »

Looking really good. One day you will finish this model!
Colin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.