Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Building the CalderCraft Imara  (Read 166620 times)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Re: Building the CalderCraft Imara
« Reply #425 on: August 04, 2019, 07:31:37 pm »

Thank you, Colin!
If I keep up my pace, this one day will be in late September 3054  {-)
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Stairs and Steerings and Railings, oh my!
« Reply #426 on: August 11, 2019, 07:45:59 pm »

After painting and varnishing the stairs and railings, I glued everything in place.
Also the helm and some other pieces of the bridge are now glued firmly in place. I guess she starts to look like a ship.
Next up are probably the life boats and davits. This is going to be interesting.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #427 on: August 11, 2019, 08:10:38 pm »

Wow that is beautiful work  :-))

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #428 on: August 11, 2019, 08:21:48 pm »

I couldn't agree more and so realistic - congratulations on the build  to date  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #429 on: August 11, 2019, 08:49:40 pm »

Why, thank you guys! 

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #430 on: August 11, 2019, 09:35:38 pm »

Yes, absolutely superb work as usual.
Colin

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #431 on: August 12, 2019, 08:20:48 pm »

Thank you! I really appreciate all of your encouraging words!

I have a small subsequent delivery in the form of the upper water tank. Finished many moons ago, it is now also glued in place.  :-)

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #432 on: August 12, 2019, 08:28:07 pm »

Another fine example of your work. I like the way you have added the suggestion of rust to the pipe exit hole and below the inspection plate.

Regards,
Ray.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #433 on: August 13, 2019, 06:02:01 am »

Yes, it's an old and leaky, slightly rusty thing they probably got from a second-hand dockyard in Dar es Salaam  ;)

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #434 on: August 14, 2019, 03:03:52 pm »

Excellent  :-))

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #435 on: August 14, 2019, 08:08:21 pm »

Thanks!  :-)

I was just browsing through my remaining collection of white metal parts, identifying the ones I'm gonna need next, when I stumbled upon these ten (10) strange threaded V-rods.
No idea where they are supposed to go, couldn't identify them on the plans and they also do not look familiar. Any ideas, guesses, tips or hints regarding what they are and where they're supposed to go? 

taucher

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #436 on: August 14, 2019, 08:26:08 pm »

separated each by each. perhaps paired for casting ?

Ralph

awvs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #437 on: August 14, 2019, 10:24:17 pm »

Hi Dom,
they represent the mounting bolts for the davits (you would have to split the V's into two bolts). I threw them away and used real mounting bolts.

Regards
Wilhelm

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #438 on: August 15, 2019, 06:34:25 am »

Aaah, that makes sense  O0
Thank you guys!

Dom

benny

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #439 on: August 20, 2019, 09:43:03 pm »

An excellent model you have created, the detailing is first rate. I am really envious of your 3D printing skills.
Looking forward to the sea trials .

Regards Phil
Solent steam launch, HMRT Envoy, Chant tanker, Kreigfischkutter, Fairmile 'B'

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #440 on: August 21, 2019, 09:31:45 am »

Thank you very much for your kind words, Phil.
And say hi to Edinburgh. I love Scotland  O0

neptune

• Shipmate
« Reply #441 on: August 29, 2019, 10:45:12 am »

Wow what a beautiful build, I wish I had found this six months ago, I will go back to start and read it right through, I'm approx three quarters way through my Imara, and I think I will pick up a lot of tips from your build log,
  best regards John,

neptune

• Shipmate
« Reply #442 on: August 29, 2019, 12:12:27 pm »

Thanks!  :-)

I was just browsing through my remaining collection of white metal parts, identifying the ones I'm gonna need next, when I stumbled upon these ten (10) strange threaded V-rods.
No idea where they are supposed to go, couldn't identify them on the plans and they also do not look familiar. Any ideas, guesses, tips or hints regarding what they are and where they're supposed to go? 

I used them on my Imara, here are a couple pics,

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #443 on: August 29, 2019, 12:43:57 pm »

Wow what a beautiful build, I wish I had found this six months ago, I will go back to start and read it right through, I'm approx three quarters way through my Imara, and I think I will pick up a lot of tips from your build log,
  best regards John,

Thanks, John! Glad you like it.
And thank you for the pics. Looking awesome! I got a bunch of real 2mm nuts and bolts now for the task  :-)
Please do show us some more pictures of your build! I'm always curious and interested in other Imaras.

Dom

neptune

• Shipmate
« Reply #444 on: August 29, 2019, 04:20:30 pm »

Thank you Dom, I suppose I should start a catch up log, here is a pic of where I am at at the present, but please be aware that I have used lots of builders license, I have looked at a lot of Imara's on the internet and almost all look different in some ways, also the plans and instructions dont help much, thanks once again,
  best regards John,

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #445 on: August 29, 2019, 08:20:48 pm »

Yes, the plans and instructions aren't of much help, unfortunately. I long ago abandoned the instructions and only use the plans as a means to identify what goes where.
Your Imara looks very neat and I think we're approximately at the same build stage.

Davits filled and partly sanded, foots fitted with bolts and nuts and hanging out to dry.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #446 on: October 01, 2019, 07:46:36 pm »

The davits are now painted and being glued in place.
Also painting the.... hoists? Or what do you call those little pulleys? Where the lifeboats will be hanging from  :-)

Next up will be the lifeboats. That's going to be interesting.

awvs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #447 on: October 01, 2019, 11:43:13 pm »

Looking good Dom. I am in contact with model slipway about my next model, the "Maggie M."

Regards

Wilhelm

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #448 on: October 02, 2019, 03:15:31 am »

Dom...

Those pulley or sheeve blocks you show in your image 4417 appear as 2 fall [2:1] and 3 fall [3:1] were I believe wooden pulleys in steel hoops

So as difficult as it may sound, the pulley rings would be wooden coloured with contrasting paint  on the externals........possibly the same colour as the chimney

This then begs the question of the davit posts?........they too could have been the same chimney colour

The examples sheeve blocks you show appear to be electroless nickle plated which is extremely difficult to remove, or get any chemical or paint to adhere to the surface >>:-(

Wooden pulley disks can be purchased or manufactured, brass strip could be used to form the hoop

Only way to establish actuals for the period & type of vessel life boats is research  %) 

PS......if the davit arms were the same colour as the chimney, then mast/flag pole just aft of the auxiliary ships wheel would also be the same chimney colour

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #449 on: October 02, 2019, 07:56:17 am »

Looking good Dom. I am in contact with model slipway about my next model, the "Maggie M."

Oh, that also looks like an interesting model with lots of detail  :-))

Those pulley or sheeve blocks you show in your image 4417 appear as 2 fall [2:1] and 3 fall [3:1] were I believe wooden pulleys in steel hoops

Ah, that explains a lot. Thank you for the clarification, Derek!
I was wondering about the materials they were made from, but somehow couldn't be bothered witd actually doing some research. I figured they were made of some sort of metal, so I went with "Burnt Iron" from the Vallejo metal range colors. That's what you can see in the picture above - the pulleys are actually white matal parts.
I don't think the (wooden) pulleys will be visible after rigging, so I'm not going to bother with coloring them differently from the hoops.

This then begs the question of the davit posts?........they too could have been the same chimney colour
...if the davit arms were the same colour as the chimney, then mast/flag pole just aft of the auxiliary ships wheel would also be the same chimney colour

Yes, you're absolutely right in that I took some liberties in my color scheme as I'm not aiming for perfect accuracy. I think the funnel would actually have been blueish, according to the manual anyway, but I didn't like that so went with buff instead. A lot of parts I just go with the color that seems right to me rather than what it probably was  ok2

Dom
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.