Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Building the CalderCraft Imara  (Read 166601 times)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Re: Building the CalderCraft Imara
« Reply #450 on: October 13, 2019, 07:38:19 pm »

Rigged up the funnel and the davits today.
I guess the lifeboats are next. But I have no idea where to start. Cutting them free from their vacuum forms, I guess.

Dom

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #451 on: October 13, 2019, 07:49:46 pm »

Your model is turning out to be a beauty - absolutely stunning  :-))
I'm sure you will make a great job of her lifeboats.

Regards,
Ray.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #452 on: October 13, 2019, 07:57:26 pm »

Looking absolutely superb Dom. The lifeboats offer an opportunity to take the model to new heights.

As I mentioned in my original review, the boats are steel and therefore flush sided so no need to plank them. I chose to leave both of mine open to give the opportunity to provide internal detail and fittings (not very good photo below - you will do better).

There is lots of information online about ships lifeboats and the way they were rigged and handled.

Colin

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #453 on: October 14, 2019, 07:31:05 am »

Thank you, guys!  :-)
Colin, your model is still a sight to behold. And your review is also still plenty helpful  :-))
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #454 on: October 14, 2019, 09:10:40 am »

It's nowhere near as good as yours though Dom!

Colin

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #455 on: October 20, 2019, 06:52:32 pm »

Nonsense, Colin.

Anyway, lifeboats: Let's dig right in. The ABS vacuum forms are quite thin and light, which makes them easy to cut. After I figured out what goes where, I cut everything free and put it tentatively together.
After the glue cured, I used a sharp knife to remove excess plastic and then sanded it down.
Some car body filler and a couple of hours of rubbing down later, this left me with two smooth lifeboats. Who would have thought  :-)
I cut the sitting boards from plasticard. I cut the small holes that will later hold the supports for the grab lines.
The orange supports are 3D printed and make work quite a bit easier :-)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #456 on: October 31, 2019, 08:07:55 pm »

I didn't want the lifeboats to be white, so I mixed some buff / light sand color into the white for the hull. The interior was supposed to be a bit darker, so I used the light sand right from the bottle, but I think the whole thing looks a bit odd.
I sanded the plasticard benches with coarse sand paper to simulate wood grain and then applied some wood color magic courtesy of Vallejo.
But today was a bad day for painting. After airbrushing the green top color, the masking tape ripped the base color and varnish right off   >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(
I will sleep over this (maybe a couple of nights) and then decide whether to try to repair the damage or start over with a different color altogether.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #457 on: November 11, 2019, 07:37:43 pm »

I finally found the courage to repair and rectify the damage done by the three times cursed masking tape.
Airbrushed the interior with a fresh coat of light sand and then patched the dark green with a very small brush and a somewhat steady hand. I think it turned out well considering the circumstances.
After this has cured properly I'm gonna apply a couple coats of varnish before carrying on with the grab lines, oars and stuff.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #458 on: November 11, 2019, 07:47:09 pm »

Disaster averted - leaving it alone for a while is half the battle - looking good again :-))

Regards,
Ray.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #459 on: November 17, 2019, 08:09:50 pm »

Thanks, Ray. Yes, you're absolutely right - sometimes it's best to forget it for a while and then look at it with fresh energy from a different angle. This sure helped in this case.
On with the boats, manufacturing about 40 tiny lugs from 0,3 mm copper wire for the grab lines. Bending the wire around a piece of 1 mm brass rod. Glued them in place with slow curing super glue.

Dom

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #460 on: November 17, 2019, 09:35:11 pm »

On with the boats, manufacturing about 40 tiny lugs from 0,3 mm copper wire for the grab lines. Bending the wire around a piece of 1 mm brass rod. Glued them in place with slow curing super glue.

Dom

Great solution! That one is definitely going in my 'good ideas' book  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #461 on: December 30, 2019, 03:07:03 pm »

Only some minor progress over the last couple of weeks. Lots of other things coming into the way, but I probably got some building days ahead  :-)
Done some rigging on the mast, I think it's looking quite good so far.
3D-printed some tiny bits that are supposed to be lifeboat rations (biscuits and water presumably). They're still raw and waiting for some sanding and a lick of paint.
I also made a couple of lifeboat tarpaulins but as I'm gonna leave the boats open, they're rolled up for stowing.
Next up is painting the oars and I also need to create a pair of smaller (wooden) lifeboat pedestals for the actual build. The ones I have so fare were only for building and painting purposes.

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #462 on: December 30, 2019, 11:34:49 pm »

Stunning detail. Excellent work.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #463 on: December 31, 2019, 12:02:54 am »

Great to see some tension in the wires Dom  :-)) ....

We see you have working turnbuckles, but did you solder the wire twists/twirlers to maintain the tensions?

Best wished for the coming season

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #464 on: December 31, 2019, 10:33:49 am »

Stunning detail. Excellent work.

Thank you!

We see you have working turnbuckles, but did you solder the wire twists/twirlers to maintain the tensions?

Derek, the turnbuckles are mere white metal props without function  :}
And the "wires" are pieces of black Billing Boats rigging thread. I secured the twisted ends with a drop of superglue. It was not easy to get the right tension so as not to bend the mast and on the other hand not have slack lines, but after two or three trials I got it done.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #465 on: January 01, 2020, 01:04:49 am »

Great work. Looks like you're almost in the home stretch.
I've just re-read this thread from the beginning again and i've saved a lot of your photos for 'how to' reference on my future projects. Thanks.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #466 on: January 13, 2020, 08:01:13 pm »

Thanks, Steve! I'm glad you find some of the pictures useful. I'm also always glad to find reference pics in other building blogs.

Lifeboats are finally done. The ration cans turned out nicely and after putting everything in place I did some weathering.

Ralph

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #467 on: January 13, 2020, 09:28:41 pm »

Dom, that's a beautiful model you're putting together.  Just read your post about getting the right tension in the rigging.  If a model mast is self supporting and the rigging is just "for show" as it were, then I use shirring elastic rather than thread or cord - easy to tension and has enough give to absorb any pondside knocks without damage. It's lasted over 20 years on my Yorkshireman without going slack although I do store the model in a box so UV damage will be minimal.

Keep up the good work
Ralph  :-))

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #468 on: January 14, 2020, 07:56:38 am »

Very good idea there, Ralph, and something I will definitely keep in mind.

Dom

awvs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #469 on: January 14, 2020, 09:28:10 pm »

Hi Dom,
everything is looking great. :-)) :-)) :-))

I just started working on the "Maggie M".

Wilhelm

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #470 on: January 23, 2020, 09:11:25 pm »

Thank you, Wilhelm! be sure to show us some pics of your Maggie sometime.

I got the boats installed and rigged. Next up will be the gantry on the bridge and then some bits and bobs on deck that yet have to be finished. Like Steve Mahoney said a couple of days ago, it looks like I'm on the home stretch. I guess I will be able to sail her for the first time come spring or summer  :police:  Friends of ours have a swimming pool and they said I can use it for a test run or three. That would be really cool.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #471 on: January 23, 2020, 09:20:10 pm »

Now that the boats are rigged up to the davits they look even more realistic - lovely work  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #472 on: February 10, 2020, 07:36:44 pm »

Thank you, Ray. Appreciate your feedback!
I built the gantry over the last couple of days. I realized that the Vallejo airbrush primer and paints don't stick to the brass and steel rods too well. So I went back to the Revell rattle can primer for the undercoat. After that the Vallejo paint works OK. You learn something new every day  %% Anyway - somehow I seem to have run out of 3 x 1,5 mm wooden beams. So I just made my own to measure on the 3D printer and then painted them with Vallejo's "old and new wood effects".The superstructure is now almost completed, safe for a couple of small details like lifebuoys and emergency axes and some figurines. I think it is now time to once again marry the superstructure and the hull to complete the rest.Still some ways to go but she definitely starts to look like a boat  :-)

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #473 on: February 10, 2020, 07:51:23 pm »

Regarding the paint problem on the brass /steel - I usually use 400 grit wet 'n dry (used dry) to give it a good key for the primer and paint to adhere to.

Anyway, you've still managed to get another great job done there  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #474 on: March 07, 2020, 03:55:54 pm »

Regarding the paint problem on the brass /steel - I usually use 400 grit wet 'n dry (used dry) to give it a good key for the primer and paint to adhere to.
Thanks for the hint, that would probably help. In the meantime I have found a great airbrush primer for metal and plastic. It's by a German company and so far I'm very happy with it. it flows and airbrushes with ease and I think the paint really sticks to it as it should. Pity I haven't found out about this earlier.
I now built the ropewalk and experimented with a couple of different yarns to make some rope. It's quite fun.Also, the last batch of white metal parts is now filed, sanded, primed (with the metal primer mentioned above), painted and somewhat weathered.Everything falls in place neatly and in the next step I will put everything together.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.