Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building the CalderCraft Imara  (Read 78039 times)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Re: Building the CalderCraft Imara
« Reply #450 on: October 13, 2019, 07:38:19 PM »

Rigged up the funnel and the davits today.
I guess the lifeboats are next. But I have no idea where to start. Cutting them free from their vacuum forms, I guess.

Dom

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #451 on: October 13, 2019, 07:49:46 PM »

Your model is turning out to be a beauty - absolutely stunning  :-))
I'm sure you will make a great job of her lifeboats.

Regards,
Ray.
Pop top campervan needed

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #452 on: October 13, 2019, 07:57:26 PM »

Looking absolutely superb Dom. The lifeboats offer an opportunity to take the model to new heights.

As I mentioned in my original review, the boats are steel and therefore flush sided so no need to plank them. I chose to leave both of mine open to give the opportunity to provide internal detail and fittings (not very good photo below - you will do better).

There is lots of information online about ships lifeboats and the way they were rigged and handled.

Colin

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #453 on: October 14, 2019, 07:31:05 AM »

Thank you, guys!  :-)
Colin, your model is still a sight to behold. And your review is also still plenty helpful  :-))
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #454 on: October 14, 2019, 09:10:40 AM »

It's nowhere near as good as yours though Dom!

Colin

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #455 on: October 20, 2019, 06:52:32 PM »

Nonsense, Colin.

Anyway, lifeboats: Let's dig right in. The ABS vacuum forms are quite thin and light, which makes them easy to cut. After I figured out what goes where, I cut everything free and put it tentatively together.
After the glue cured, I used a sharp knife to remove excess plastic and then sanded it down.
Some car body filler and a couple of hours of rubbing down later, this left me with two smooth lifeboats. Who would have thought  :-)
I cut the sitting boards from plasticard. I cut the small holes that will later hold the supports for the grab lines.
The orange supports are 3D printed and make work quite a bit easier :-)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #456 on: October 31, 2019, 08:07:55 PM »

I didn't want the lifeboats to be white, so I mixed some buff / light sand color into the white for the hull. The interior was supposed to be a bit darker, so I used the light sand right from the bottle, but I think the whole thing looks a bit odd.
I sanded the plasticard benches with coarse sand paper to simulate wood grain and then applied some wood color magic courtesy of Vallejo.
But today was a bad day for painting. After airbrushing the green top color, the masking tape ripped the base color and varnish right off   >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(
I will sleep over this (maybe a couple of nights) and then decide whether to try to repair the damage or start over with a different color altogether.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #457 on: November 11, 2019, 07:37:43 PM »

I finally found the courage to repair and rectify the damage done by the three times cursed masking tape.
Airbrushed the interior with a fresh coat of light sand and then patched the dark green with a very small brush and a somewhat steady hand. I think it turned out well considering the circumstances.
After this has cured properly I'm gonna apply a couple coats of varnish before carrying on with the grab lines, oars and stuff.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #458 on: November 11, 2019, 07:47:09 PM »

Disaster averted - leaving it alone for a while is half the battle - looking good again :-))

Regards,
Ray.
Pop top campervan needed

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #459 on: November 17, 2019, 08:09:50 PM »

Thanks, Ray. Yes, you're absolutely right - sometimes it's best to forget it for a while and then look at it with fresh energy from a different angle. This sure helped in this case.
On with the boats, manufacturing about 40 tiny lugs from 0,3 mm copper wire for the grab lines. Bending the wire around a piece of 1 mm brass rod. Glued them in place with slow curing super glue.

Dom

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #460 on: November 17, 2019, 09:35:11 PM »

On with the boats, manufacturing about 40 tiny lugs from 0,3 mm copper wire for the grab lines. Bending the wire around a piece of 1 mm brass rod. Glued them in place with slow curing super glue.

Dom

Great solution! That one is definitely going in my 'good ideas' book  :-))

Regards,
Ray.
Pop top campervan needed
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19]   Go Up