Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Building the CalderCraft Imara  (Read 166618 times)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Re: Building the CalderCraft Imara
« Reply #475 on: March 09, 2020, 07:38:37 pm »

It's been a while since I put her two parts together. Today I hauled her hull down into my dungeon to start completion of the last couple of details. Well, there's still some work ahead, but I'm getting there.I think she looks quite impressive so far. Although there are some things I made and painted some time ago that I would like to amend, modify or change altogether. We will see.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #476 on: March 17, 2020, 02:35:34 pm »

Fender time. And I just noticed the old lady got a bit dusty over time  :o Time for a wipe with a wet towel I guess.
Thanks Wilhelm for the tip with the eyebolts and rings  :-))
Dom
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

awvs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #477 on: March 17, 2020, 05:12:26 pm »

A mighty fine old Lady

Wilhelm

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #478 on: March 17, 2020, 08:09:38 pm »

Excellent result. It's definitely going to need a glass case.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #479 on: March 18, 2020, 07:51:47 am »

Thank you guys.
A glass case... definitely something to ponder over. That would solve the dust problem.

Tug Hercules Fireman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #480 on: March 18, 2020, 04:03:52 pm »

Excellent build.

In Your IMG_4783; What Figures are they, in the three packs? What Scale? What Manufacturer?

Thank You.
Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

“Ideals are like the Stars; We never reach them, but like
Mariners of the Sea, we chart our course by them.”

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #481 on: March 19, 2020, 07:05:53 am »

In Your IMG_4783; What Figures are they, in the three packs? What Scale? What Manufacturer?

They're Preiser Figurines: https://www.preiserfiguren.de

Mine are 1:32 and from the "steeplejacks" series (which is most probably a bit of a mistranslation, as "industrial workers" would be a better fitting translation from the german "Industriearbeiter").

Tug Hercules Fireman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #482 on: March 19, 2020, 06:11:42 pm »

Thank You for the information on the Preiser Figurines; appreciated.

This is one of my favourite builds; great tutorial to help with my Tug.

A couple of more questions;

On the Grab Ropes, on the Lifeboats, what did You use to simulate the little Cork Floats? are they just black tubing cut to small lengths?

Could I ask You to post a closeup photo of the Foredeck Anchor Winch?

Thank You.
Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

“Ideals are like the Stars; We never reach them, but like
Mariners of the Sea, we chart our course by them.”

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #483 on: March 20, 2020, 08:04:56 am »

On the Grab Ropes, on the Lifeboats, what did You use to simulate the little Cork Floats? are they just black tubing cut to small lengths?
Yes, they're short pieces of shrinkable tubing, cut to lenght with a scalpel.

Could I ask You to post a closeup photo of the Foredeck Anchor Winch?

Here you go. Hope this helps!
Incidently, is anyone else experiencing weird behaviour of the message editor here on the forum? I mean even more than usual  %) What with weird font sizes, line breaks et cetera.... it's a bit cumbersome to get the formatting right.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #484 on: March 21, 2020, 09:22:59 am »

Editor an probably a browser update....  {:-{

Love the winch color scheme.... rust look particularly real!  :-))

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Rmay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #485 on: March 21, 2020, 12:49:08 pm »

The weathering on the chain looks amazing :-))

I recognize some of the “extra parts” I got in my Marie Felling winch kit.  %)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #486 on: March 22, 2020, 08:02:11 pm »

Thanks guys!

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #487 on: March 28, 2020, 04:04:20 pm »

Sometimes there's good news and some bad news.On the bright side, I airbrushed the propellers and got the color to match the one from the hull almost exactly. I used two parts of Vallejo 70.605 German Red Brown and one part of 71.085 Ferrari Red. I'm writing this for anyone who may be looking for a nice antifoul red but also for me as a kind of record should I ever need it again.I gave them a couple layers of varnish today and now leaving them sitting there for a couple of days to cure.

On the downside, while shaking one of the color bottles it slipped my hand and took one of those lids right off. No big harm done fortunately but after glueing it back in place the superglue worked its infamous magic by clouding the surrounding black paint. Although I knew this would happen I failed to protect the paint with some duct tape... it is a bit of a nuisance and something I will need to amend later.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #488 on: March 30, 2020, 09:44:14 pm »

All done with the propellers and the color is an almost perfect match to the hull.
I started making the steering chain and steering spring boxes. Some additional weathering to follow.
The water hose is now threaded through the hydrant (a 3D printed part from many moons ago). I intend to lead the hose to a sailor on deck who will then be able to splash some water on unexpecting spectators. Mwahahahahaaaaah, world domination! <insert evil laughter>Ahem. Please excuse me now while I retreat to take my medicine  :}

taucher

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #489 on: April 01, 2020, 06:10:13 pm »

only the background unmasked the model :-))

Ralph

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #490 on: April 01, 2020, 07:13:56 pm »

only the background unmasked the model :-))

Ralph

I have to agree - that is one beautifully built tug  :-))

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #491 on: April 02, 2020, 08:44:24 pm »

Thank you very much, Gentlemen!
Dom

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #492 on: April 05, 2020, 07:50:14 pm »

Time to populate the ship with some more details and figurines. I got another batch of Preiser figurines (shhhhh, they're actually railroad figurines - don't tell anyone!)  ;) One of them was wielding a pickaxe which does no good on a ship. I picked off the pickaxe and replaced it with a small mop that I built from an iron rod and some thread. Now pickaxe guy has got a new duty and will be moping the deck. Lick of paint for the mop handle pending  :-) Slowly getting there, some more details and minor paint jobs missing. I so wish I could put her in that swimming pool at our friend's house but alas, due to the Virus lockdown we're all confined to our own houses for the time being. Maybe I'll put her in the tub one of these days for some balancing and testing.
Dom

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #493 on: April 07, 2020, 07:55:55 pm »

Hey guys
Any suggestions regarding transportation of the ship from the car to the pond and back again?
Dom

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #494 on: April 07, 2020, 10:33:45 pm »

Firstly, what a beautiful build you have achieved over the last few months since I have been away Dom! I love every part of that ad I salute you sir  :-))

Just a thought for the figures: If you have done this then ignore me, but did you pin the figures to the model? I ask because knocks and bangs at any point between getting her into and out of the car, into and out of the water and occasional bumps while sailing might dislodge one of the crew (They'll strike for better conditions!!!)

For transportation, people often obtain or make a trolley that breakdown or fold up so it fits neatly into your vehicle. I have seen the metal four wheel trolley (I was recommended to get one with a car like steering as this is more stable around corners), one made with Wheelchair wheels and numerous ones with rubber wheels, shopping trolley wheels or other. Try and get a good balance between weight and strength.
Pond weed is your enemy

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #495 on: April 08, 2020, 12:20:42 am »

Not the most easily steered, but you might find a newer one.
Mine came from our daughter.  Getting rid of it when she stopped providing family day care.  %%

Space below for Tx. batteries, tools etc.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #496 on: April 09, 2020, 11:46:54 am »

Firstly, what a beautiful build you have achieved over the last few months since I have been away Dom! I love every part of that ad I salute you sir  :-))
Why, thank you very much!

Just a thought for the figures: If you have done this then ignore me, but did you pin the figures to the model?
Sound advise there. While I did not literally pin them to the model - I was considering drilling into the feet and into the deck and using small pieces of metal rod for pins, but then dropped the idea). But I used Araldite epoxy to glue them down. Where they're standing on plastic  I bored into the surface to give the glue something to grip on to. That should do the trick I guess.

For transportation, people often obtain or make a trolley that breakdown or fold up so it fits neatly into your vehicle. I have seen the metal four wheel trolley (I was recommended to get one with a car like steering as this is more stable around corners), one made with Wheelchair wheels and numerous ones with rubber wheels, shopping trolley wheels or other. Try and get a good balance between weight and strength.
Not the most easily steered, but you might find a newer one.
Mine came from our daughter.  Getting rid of it when she stopped providing family day care.  %%

Space below for Tx. batteries, tools etc.
Thank you, guys, for your insights and recommendations. I will be on the lookout for something useful.Not that I can go near the pond anytime soon what with the current Virus situation, but one needs to be ready.Neat set of wheels you got there Brian  :-))

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #497 on: April 15, 2020, 03:07:11 pm »

Almost done, only some minute details missing  %%
One of these days I will do a proper photo shooting outside in the sunlight.
I put her in the tub again for some balancing (she needs yet more weight in her bow) and a short test run. Everything seems to be working: lights, peristaltic pump, water pump (note the hose guy portside stern), sound fx (that thing is LOUD) and also the steam engine. I made a short movie from yet another break-in dry test run and uploaded it to youtube for your viewing pleasure. Sorry for the vertical video, I usually don't shoot this way but my mind was probably somewehre else...  {:-{

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #498 on: April 15, 2020, 04:36:59 pm »

So much detail that really is a fantastic build  :-))

awvs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #499 on: April 15, 2020, 07:51:57 pm »

Hi Dom,
Excellent.  :-)) :-)) :-)) Your steam engine seems to work great.

Wilhelm
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.