Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Building the CalderCraft Imara  (Read 166632 times)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Building the CalderCraft Imara
« Reply #500 on: April 16, 2020, 01:09:18 am »

Beautiful clack-clack-clack-clack sound of her engines Dom..... :-)) .......again superd low speed speed control that will only be further enhanced with the water loading on the propellers

The audible sound will also be reduced in water as the engine sound instead of rolling around the hull, will be partially adsorbed from hull into the water

Looking forward to watching your Imara on the water

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #501 on: April 16, 2020, 06:16:36 pm »

Thanks guys!  :embarrassed:
Yes, Derek, you're right that in the water the engines do run a lot smoother. I had her running in the tub for a couple of minutes and it made a huge difference.
Dom
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

taucher

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #502 on: April 18, 2020, 06:10:49 pm »

like the videos, donīt forget detail images on the pondvideos  :-)  please

Ralph

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #503 on: June 01, 2020, 06:59:14 pm »

I inherited an old coaster wagon from a friend of mine who used to cart his kids around with it  :-)
That should get the transportation problem sorted. Slowly transforming it into a moving cradle for the steaming lady.The drawbar was a bit messed up so I'm in the process of prototyping a new connector that can easily be detached by way of simply plugging a splint. Makes loading it into the car much easier than fumbling with a screw and a wing nut.The green part is only a conceptual print. Once I'm satisfied it will be printed with a sturdy carbon fibre filament.
Dom

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #504 on: June 07, 2020, 01:20:49 pm »

Almost done. I will add a small "doorstop" for the bow keel to prevent it from sitting too far to the drawbar.I'm almost a bit prowd of my self designed and printed quick releasing drawbar attachment  :D Now, if only the weather was a bit better, I could haul her to that test pool at our friend's for her maiden test voyage  %)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #505 on: August 09, 2020, 09:08:36 pm »

Hello folks  :-)
Finally, the moment we all have been waiting for: Mayden Voyage!  :police: The weather was fine, winds were low, sun was beating down and the pool at our friends' was ready for her mayden voyage.See a very short movie of the incident on Youtube. A friend of ours was kindly sailing her while I was taking the movie, so the guy you can see shortly ain't me  ok2
Everything went well so far, except the bilge pump started running after a couple of minutes due to some condensation from the steam engine triggering the leak sensor. I will have to amend the placement of the sensor to prevent that from happening.And I had to remove some buckshot from her bow because she was sitting a bit too far down at first.Steering her was a bit tricky as space was quite limited in the pool, but I think with some practice (and a bigger pond) it should be OK.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #506 on: August 09, 2020, 09:21:26 pm »

My heartiest congratulations Tafelspitz, your 3 1/2 years of dedicated model work has finally paid off.
She's looking fantastic, even in confined waters - well impressed  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

awvs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #507 on: August 09, 2020, 10:13:35 pm »

Hi Dom,
congratulations, one fine looking "Imara". I hope you can sail her in a pond or lake pretty soon.

Great job.

Wilhelm

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #508 on: August 09, 2020, 11:45:59 pm »

Bravo Dom  :-)) ........she is superb on the water.....and the handling appears fine.....[obviously a few Children also think so!]............... 

Would be interesting to understand how you have your radio control settings/functionality for the fwd/astern + speed/speed of both engines

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #509 on: August 10, 2020, 02:46:52 pm »

Thank you very much, Ray, Wilhelm and Derek  :-) Yes, looking forward to sail her in a bigger pond within the next couple of days. I just wanted the first time to be in a confined environment without too many spectators.This gave me the opportunity get everything prepared slowly and meticulously.
Would be interesting to understand how you have your radio control settings/functionality for the fwd/astern + speed/speed of both engines
Well, using the sophisticatd programming abilities of my RC kit I set it up in a way that both engines are controlled by the same channel and also proportionately by the rudder channel.So when moving straight forward / backward (please forgive me for not using the correct nautical terms for the sake of clarity [primarily mine, that is  ok2 ]) both engines will get the same amount of steam.When steering left, the left engine will get proportiionally less steam and at the very leftmost position of the controller will even start to move in the opposite direction.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Finally... on the Pond!
« Reply #510 on: August 20, 2020, 09:23:15 pm »

Finally... first time in the wild on the Pond!
Taking advantage of the nice, warm weather I gathered a friend of mine and my parents and dragged them to the pond. The setting sun was great for taking a couple of pictures.The second image shows my Dad at the helm and me pal on the left watching her.Everything went absolutely smoothly and she's a beauty on the water, methinks  :-) Steering needs a bit getting used to but with some practice she's quite agile. I set the timer to half an hour and that's as long as the water for the steam engine lasts (with some reserve, of course).After that it's back to shore  :-)
Cheers!Dom

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #511 on: August 20, 2020, 10:30:05 pm »

Well worth the wait.

awvs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #512 on: August 20, 2020, 10:40:39 pm »

Hi Dom,

nice to see that you shared the moment with your parents! :-))

Great boat and nice pictures, an all around success.

Wilhelm

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #513 on: August 22, 2020, 07:31:10 am »

Thank you, guys!  :police:
Dom

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #514 on: August 22, 2020, 09:15:14 am »

Beautiful!! Well done :-))
Hama

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #515 on: August 22, 2020, 10:24:14 am »

Looks just great Dom, worth all that care and effort you put in. You can be really proud of her.

Colin

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #516 on: August 22, 2020, 02:59:30 pm »

Thank you Hama and Colin!  :-)

Rmay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #517 on: August 25, 2020, 01:20:46 am »

She looks beautiful on the water. Great pictures. Great job.

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #518 on: August 26, 2020, 12:42:32 am »

Great looking tug! Looks some fine in the water. And you built a nice transport system. Well done. :-))

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #519 on: August 26, 2020, 12:41:10 pm »

Thank you guys!  :police:

Phil22

• Full Mayhemer
  • Nothing is impossible to the willing mind.
« Reply #520 on: November 18, 2020, 09:21:56 am »

What a thoroughly enjoyable build diary and such an exceptional result! Love how you incorporated the 3D printing in so well. You've provided me with a lot of inspiration and ideas!

Thanks,
Phil

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #521 on: November 22, 2020, 08:28:44 am »

I have discovered this thread late, but it was a really interesting read.
Congratulations for the successful build and thank you for posting so many details.

Have you run the ship lately? How does the Regner steam plant perform?

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #522 on: February 17, 2022, 01:38:28 pm »

What a thoroughly enjoyable build diary and such an exceptional result! Love how you incorporated the 3D printing in so well. You've provided me with a lot of inspiration and ideas!

I have discovered this thread late, but it was a really interesting read.
Congratulations for the successful build and thank you for posting so many details.

Very late answering these, please forgive me  :-X

Thank you very much for your kind words, and you're welcome!

Have you run the ship lately? How does the Regner steam plant perform?

Ashamed to say that so far I have only sailed her once... but I intend to do so more often come this spring and summer.

Also, I'm looking forward to another build. Will you follow me?  :-)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #523 on: August 17, 2022, 07:53:06 pm »

Taking advantage of the nice and warm weather, the old lady enjoyed a dip in the pond last weekend.2 x approx. 30 minutes, that is, two boiler fillings of water. It would probably last longer, but better safe than sorry.
Two short clips on Youtube:
Clip 1
Clip 2 (a friend of mine was at the helm while I was filming and he got a bit carried away with the sound module  :D )

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #524 on: August 20, 2022, 08:06:35 am »

Congratulations, it is beautiful and looks great against the greenery at the lake!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.