Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Average age of members ?  (Read 6788 times)

slewis

Average age of members ?
« on: August 21, 2007, 10:30:29 pm »

As the poll says , what is the average age of members on here ? I am interested to find out how many of you are retired /work full time etc etc ,
Nothing more than clicking a button is required but it does give us some feedback into the membership on here so we can cater to you or perhaps cater to the ones we are missing !  O0
Shane

Roger in France

Re: Average age of members ?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 07:40:52 am »

Shane, I think the way the Poll is structured could be misleading.

Are you inviting members to "Guess and vote for the average age" or "Give their age so an average can be calculated"?

I gave the age bracket that includes my age.

Roger in France.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 09:33:39 am »

Shane if you are 60 do you click on the 50-60 or the 60-70 ?  ???
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 11:02:39 am »

Interesting. This thread has been read 70 times but only 39 votes (at time of writing). Is this because model boaters don't know how old they are.  ::) 

Anyway age is surely a mental as well as a physical thing. I know people in their sixties who look and act positively ancient and I know people in their late eighties who need to be kept off ladders when the roof needs fixing.  8)

Cheers

Doug
Don't Assume Check

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 11:56:40 am »

I see the sixty-plusses are still well in the lead. Dougal is right, though. Age is partly a mental thing. I try to keep my brain active with all sorts of things - reading, quizzes, old-car restoration and rallying and, of course, model-making.

As regards the physical side, I'm sixty-two with the body of a twenty-year-old! Mind you, he wants it back as he reckons I'm stretching it out of shape ::)

Rick

PS Alway remember, growing old is better than the only alternative!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 12:38:38 pm »

Interesting. This thread has been read 70 times but only 39 votes

It's because we're all making return visits to see where we fit in!

OneBladeMissing

• Full Mayhemer
  • Man overboard! Leave Him! (Eric Sykes)
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 12:44:31 pm »

MODERATED

Perhaps the reasons people don't want to vote on this is :
Does it matter what age people are on this forum?  No it does not matter what age you are on this forum
What's it to do with Shane? If you read his original posting it will be clear why Shane started this thread
Who's Shane? Shane is a member of the forum and has been since February, he is also a moderator on other threads

Brian
"Give me a tall ship and a star to steer her by ..... or a short ship and a GPS!"

Captain Povey

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 05:40:58 pm »

Hi All, I am not surprised at the response because if you try looking up members profiles on this forum you will find that very few give away much information apart from their name. Perhaps there is just a healthy distrust of having all this sort of stuff out for public view. How many of us have the cookies blocked for example? Cheers Graham (61) going on (16) same digits different order. 8)

Cargo

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 06:21:46 pm »

Sounds a bit paranoid to me... if i someone really wants to know something about you... he finds a way  ;)

Shane asked, feel free to vote or not  ::)

Hamburg, Germany, 40, Jan...  O0

slewis

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 06:23:37 pm »

Ok lets put a few of these queries to bed .
The thread was started with an idea to acertain what sort of "population" the forum has . Ie is it all an older age group and if it is (as looks the case) we could then work out ways of creating  a wider appeal to the up and coming younger boaters and get them on board  .
As for giving away private details on a public forum I couldnt agree more with the idea of giving away as little as possible that could be used against me . I dont really think a button click with an age gap of 10 years is going to be an issue here.
Richard if you are unsure where you fit in click on the higher one as you are really leaving the 60th birthday behind day by day as you move towards 61  O0

I hope this clears up a few points  :)

Shane

kiteman1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 07:08:02 pm »

Who cares how old you are as long as you wake up every day.................. O0 O0

madrob

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 07:22:37 pm »

not really supprised at most of the members being older, my 11 year old son has no intrest what so ever in model boats, he prefers his playstation. its this kind of person this place has got to attract more of

Rob 41

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 07:27:50 pm »

Sounds about right kiteman.......every day you wake up is a bonus make the most of it especially if you make it to 80 the powers that be are so proud of you that they enhance your state pension by 25p mind you they take 5.5p back in tax
                                          getting older by the day and more cynical
                                                             BobB ::) ::)
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 08:28:51 pm »

Cheers Shane not sure about that, it puts me in the same bracket as BobB that cant be right. :'( :'(
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

omra85

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 10:25:48 pm »

That CAN'T be right Dicky - I'm in the same group as you  :P :P

Is it just me, or do you "lock" on a certain age mentally?  I can distinctly remember when I thought I was 37 for about 8 years!!
You know, when you have to fill in a form with "age" and you automatically put "37" (or such)  before your realise and have to count up from your birth year!!
I'm currently "stuck" at about 45  :o :o   - then some bit of my body reminds me I'm not - like when I'm laying a patio (OK at the time - then next day .........)  :'( :'(

Danny
who did vote in the 60 to daisies group  ;D

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 10:47:14 pm »

Not me!!!!! well not for another 20 years or so.

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

OMK

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 11:00:39 pm »

I was born in an up-side-down year, dudes - 1961. (Turn your monitor 180-degs' - you'll see what I mean.)
And if that wasn't bad enough, my folks tell me I popped into the world one day too late (Apr. 2nd).
So then, Shane, I'll let you work the math.
Mind you, I don't believe a WORD what you said. I reckon you only posed the question in the first place simply because...
Well, f'rinstance, look at me. I've managed to retain me youthful bod' and me Adonis-like good looks... and still most of me barnet AND the common curtesy to stay away from Mayhem gatherings purely on the grounds that all the wives and girlfriends would start causing ructions, clamouring my attention and stuff, see?

So why do I feel like MILES older than I be?

Answer: Because you said this...

The thread was started with an idea to acertain what sort of "population" the forum has . Ie is it all an older age group and if it is (as looks the case) we could then work out ways of creating  a wider appeal to the up and coming younger boaters and get them on board.

Nonsense!
We've already been here. Over a year ago - a same-similar thread.

Mate, you can't play God. If any up-and-coming young boaters get aspirations of getting into this modelling caper, then they will - on their own accord. I mean, YOU did, right?
Age doesn't come into it, bro'.
The only reason most of the younger one's aren't attracted to the hobby is because most of 'em are too busy kicking ten bales of s***e from each other.
And then there's the grumpy-old-git stigma, of course.
Try and deny it, but that stigma is indeed live and well. So the kids today are having more fun bunging stones at your boats, rather than building their own.

My take is that the genuine ones will join when they're good and ready.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 11:15:23 pm »

My take is that the genuine ones will join when they're good and ready.

And Old....

slewis

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 11:26:15 pm »

Mate, you can't play God. If any up-and-coming young boaters get aspirations of getting into this modelling caper, then they will - on their own accord. I mean, YOU did, right?
Age doesn't come into it, bro'.
I would be the last person on the planet to even try to play that role  O0
My purpose was along the lines of making the forum more popular to the lesser members than trying to get Johnnie hoodie to give up his psp fix and do something more rewarding instead .
The poll was to find out the age groups activley using the forum . What would you of said if the results had been reversed and the majority of users were between 20-30 ? or even 16-20 ?

I  cannot see any reason why we should not put ourselves out and try to activley recruit youngsters into this hobby and this poll is showing that the average age of boaters is close to or above retirement age .
Do you or anyone else have any ideas for getting the youngsters involved ?

Shane

Captain Anonymous

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 11:36:58 pm »

The biggest problem is showing any interest in kids these days they think your a pervert, so most wise men leave well alone. :-X :-X

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2007, 11:44:58 pm »

Let them smell the cellulose thinners..  

No seriously  the Youth of today want instant gratification , they buy an X Box turn on put it on the easeyest level and think they are the greatest ,  where as in modeling there is a long period of building by time the glue has dried on the stand they are bored, if they buy a ready to run boat /car/ plane some get fed up waiting for the batteries to fast charge . Kids don't fix bikes anymore , they say its broke can I have a new one . but the problem goes back to the parents of the kids about today , 30 somethinks to early 40es who are in the same boat and cannot show there kids how to do it so the kids don't get started .. this prob goes back to when apprenticeships started to be phased out , and working with your hands where for the grubby people ., so there is a lot of work to be done as far as I can see to get us back to where kids think of work with there hands as a future job..
well thats my thoughts

Peter,, who served an apprenticeship

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 02:49:46 am »

Attracting young people to our hobby seems to be a problem everywhere, I know it is in our club. It is hard to compete with the computerised games mentality of our younger people, to a point where the Australian government has started a campaign to try and encourage young ones to get out and do something active. We have a big problem with childhood obesity here, and I believe other countries do too, so anything that will entice them away from the computer is to be applauded.
As far as the poll goes, I don't have any objection to anyone knowing my age, I thought it was only women who were coy about the subject, but it seems many men are too.  ::) As some wise person once said - old age is better than the alternative :D :D
Peter.

Roger in France

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 07:17:36 am »

I am afraid that many of the pat phrases, sweeping generalisations, intrinsic disapproval and suspicious hostility contained in many of the comments above is the reason why there is a gulf between some young folk and their elders. This applies in many spheres, not just model clubs.

Lighten up folk, treat every person as an individual and be open and friendly. Above all, ensure you are the kind of role model you would have enjoyed emulating when you were young.

Roger in France (one time head of the Youth Service in a major English local authority).

Pirate

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 08:46:31 am »

On board the pirate family ship at Grantham and district mbc I have myself (44) my two sons (13 & 16) and my wife ( I would not dare to say!). At the dock side our membership was largely of the retirement age plus but has been rapidly increasing with youngsters joining via families watching our activities on and about the pool and I and other members getting there rears unfastened from the dock side and inviting the young ones in ( fun boats etc). Net result ....... an almost even balance of older and younger. The key here is ............. Communication at the appropriate level.
 MAYHEM has it all but I fear not many of the youth feel encouraged to ask and receive.
Just my thoughts and opinions.
Carry on the good work Captain

Pirate

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 09:38:47 am »

I think that there is one fundamental difference between the older and younger generations. Us mature types generally had to make our entertainment to a much greater extent, today you buy it. If you buy a game for a Playstation then you are always dancing to somebody else's tune - the programmer who wrote it. And there's nothing too show for it afterwards except maybe a high score If you build a model then you are creating something which in some cases may see you out! I know what I would consider to be the more valuable experience.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.