Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boat hooks  (Read 3703 times)

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
Boat hooks
« on: August 21, 2007, 11:23:13 pm »

Here's one for all you ex RN types.

Is there a standard length for an RN boat hook? I need to model a couple for TB 80 (1886). I don't suppose any of you old salts can remember that far back, but all help gratefully accepted

Rick

Roger in France

Re: Boat hooks
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 07:31:48 am »

All boat hooks are six inches shorter than the gap you are currently attempting to reach across!

Roger in France.

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 11:44:52 am »

Nice one Roger! Same length as a ladder, then?

Rick

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 06:52:17 pm »

I suspect boat hooks are like Engine Room brooms. The length is entirely dependent on how much has been sawn off to make plugs etc. Taken to extremes this could lead to Firemen/Greasers complaining of backache as they pushed brooms with 3' handles around the decks.

Barry M

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 09:00:12 pm »

I don't think you will be very far wrong with a 15' length and a diameter of 1.75" or 2". The "hooky" end (brass or gunmetal) could be about 13" or so. But don't quote me on that. Whatever its length, it was and is a very good invention by some long forgotten and probably very wet tar.
Notes from a simple seaman

bigH

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 11:32:43 am »

Boat hooks were originally based on the pike that was used by land soldiers and was used by crewmen as far back as Roman times, if you study old paintings you will see sailors using them, the land pikes were too tall for use on board ship, ( Up to 15' in length ) and were cut down to a more manageable length for ship fighting.   These then were used as boarding hooks and stabbing spears, when these became redundant they were shortened more as well as the hook and spear head.    The head was blunted and in some cases the Hook became a ceremonial thing, ( You can see pictures of them being used on Admirals launches etc ) all the pictures I have seen seem to show the sailor holding it upright with the butt on the deck and the hook appears to be approx; 12" above his head.   I have taken this info from 'Ferrington's book of 1912 'Weapons of the navy', now sadly out of print, I would say that this would appear to make the hook about 7' in length,  of course as already stated, it was probably shortened to suit the user....    Harry

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 07:12:39 pm »

Boat hooks were originally based on the pike that was used by land soldiers and was used by crewmen as far back as Roman times, if you study old paintings you will see sailors using them, the land pikes were too tall for use on board ship, ( Up to 15' in length ) and were cut down to a more manageable length for ship fighting.   These then were used as boarding hooks and stabbing spears, when these became redundant they were shortened more as well as the hook and spear head.    The head was blunted and in some cases the Hook became a ceremonial thing, ( You can see pictures of them being used on Admirals launches etc ) all the pictures I have seen seem to show the sailor holding it upright with the butt on the deck and the hook appears to be approx; 12" above his head.   I have taken this info from 'Ferrington's book of 1912 'Weapons of the navy', now sadly out of print, I would say that this would appear to make the hook about 7' in length,  of course as already stated, it was probably shortened to suit the user....    Harry
Always wondered why the things had a spike on the end! Thanks.BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 10:23:44 pm »

Thanks guys. Been away on hols for a while - nice to have some answers on my return.

Rick

farrow

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 09:48:01 pm »

I was playing with one the other day with the sea cadets, it was pusser issue and about 8 ft in length total with a brass double hook on the end. The issued boathook is I think the one used on the fairmile 12m workboats that used to be issued to the 42's.

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 09:18:29 pm »

Thanks. Not done much to TB80 lately - diverted onto 1:1 scale Austin 7s and a 1:32 Nile paddle gunboat! But info stored away for future use.

Rick

farrow

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 09:52:35 pm »

MoD issue boathooks are about 7/8ft in length, they are what they had on the chevington launches. I was using one a few weks ago with the sea cadets.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.