Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbe just saying hello  (Read 2099 times)

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Newbe just saying hello
« on: March 06, 2017, 07:45:22 am »

Hi,
Just joined the forum hoping for advise, pee taking and general banter on my new refurbishment job, I've just bought a Billings Smit london/rotterdam model it hasn't been used for approx 25 years and is in dire need of complete refurb esp on the Hull + deck areas, it has got 2 motors already fitted (unbranded) also a brand new BUT antique Hi-tec SP6/10A gold ESC   {:-{ so will be looking what ESC/Motors/batteries I need to use also need to ask about whether I should go 6v or 12v system.

I'm not new to R/C but have not had a boat for 25+ years so completely out of touch with more modern equipment

Will post up some pictures later if anyone is interested

Thanks
Paul

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Newbe just saying hello
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 10:33:46 am »

Welcome to the Forum Paul.   :-))

We would be very interested to see and to follow your restoration of the Rotterdam.  Pictures would be very nice as you progress with the overhaul.  I, myself have always fancied this range of craft so will be watching with interest.

Just 5 posts to go before the security questions cease ........ :}

Cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 02:59:00 pm »

thank you for the welcome, I will post some pictures up this evening as I cannot do it on my phone

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 05:56:53 pm »

here you go, as you will see there are some large cracks in the paint but they are only the paint and don't seem to go through to the hull, I was going to cover the hull with fibreglass resin once the paint is stripped before re-painting

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 11:48:46 pm »

Hullo Paul........just a few observations...

1. the hull appears to be wooden, probably plank on frame.......an image of the inner hull [via a deck hatch opening] will confirm this
2. the cracking on the deck both FWD & AFT would also suggest wooden, possibly part ply sheet and plank
3. the overall cracking on both the hull and deck would suggest that the final paint system may have reacted with the primer coat/s....
4. we have a number of members with years of experience in painting/repainting models, paint systems and compatibility of the same etc
5. my only initial thought for the hull would be a complete chemical paint stripping, that way you will be able to remove all of the existing paint from around the curvature of the propellers and nozzle's etc without damaging the hull exterior surfaces and fitment'[portlights] too much
6. the deck is another matter as the existing deck paint surface extends around many vertical surfaces ....so you know where to begin, but where do you stop?

The condition of the stripped hull will then dictate a preferable process for the actual repair/repainting processes

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 09:33:17 pm »

Hello Derek,
Thanks for the reply,
yes you are correct in the fact it is a wooden hull with ply and plank on frame construction,
the paint is cracking because it's been on there for 38 years so it's not looking too bad for it's age,
I will be stripping all the paint off the hull and some off the decks (as much as I can get too sensibly) with some chemical stripper as suggested and then will be sealing, filling, sanding, priming, filling, sanding re-priming and finally re-painting it over the coming weeks, I will be leaving some of the cracked paint as it gives it a nice aged look which I like as boat's/ships rarely look brand new in real life so some cracked or flaking paint looks ok in my personal opinion, some basic touching up will be done just to freshen it up around deck & superstructure

Thanks for the comments and advise  :-))
Paul

T33cno

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 10:14:34 am »

Hi again Paul
I would consider just how much work and expense is involved and whether it may be a better return for your efforts to builds a new model at only £266
The latest kit is much better than the early one and all laser cut

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 10:47:36 am »

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum, once the hull is stripped back i would cover with light glass cloth, with resin, then fill and prime, this will help stabilize the planking and give a firm surface to add the colour, dont scrap a good hull for the sake of some elbow grease. the model can easily be re-finished for less than £50.

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 12:47:53 pm »

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum, once the hull is stripped back i would cover with light glass cloth, with resin, then fill and prime, this will help stabilize the planking and give a firm surface to add the colour, dont scrap a good hull for the sake of some elbow grease. the model can easily be re-finished for less than £50.

Mark

Hi Mark,
Great thanks for that advise  :-)) I will do that as I would like to strengthen the hull a bit before painting, going to start stripping at the weekend and see how we get on

Cheers
Paul

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 11:09:46 pm »

Hi Paul, go gentle to start, a chemical stripper might be the best, then a light sanding. The glass cloth i mentioned will do all the strengthening the hull will need, once you have applied the cloth (smoothly) snad to find the flat spots, then etch primer, more expensive but will key the paint, 2 coats of primer sanded in between, then the top coats, i prefer semi gloss rather than full gloss, seems to look better on the model, mirror finish only seems to go well on lifeboats

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Yoshic48

• Retired
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 10:31:32 am »

Hi yes I am new to (MAYHEM) looks like this will be a good place for me to help with my build (TUG) 1/48 scale I did see a chap on the front cover who is building one? so will try not to mess up and post in the wrong places I have been in model making for decades not electric boats though? only glow fuel? so know a fair bit on builds but (the wires) (controls) and costs ?? Well thanks to you all for any help
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.