Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Smit Rotterdam  (Read 17037 times)

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Smit Rotterdam
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2017, 09:13:07 pm »

WOA....if the paint has crazed then dont bother to recoat it as it will react....it needs to be rubbed down all the way though the crazying

Dave

{-) Don't panic it will be, what I meant by that was the deck with be rubbed down but some of the attachments (cranes etc) are crazed but to me this makes it look authentic so will leave some of this that last thing I want to do is make it look like a brand new boat I hate that look

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2017, 08:49:28 am »

OR.... you could weather it to the same extent as this plastic model %% ...................

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2017, 10:54:52 am »

OR.... you could weather it to the same extent as this plastic model %% ...................

my topside is finished then!!  {-)
on a serious side I got the hull sanded back yesterday, sealed with shellac and then primed and started filled the imperfections it's looking better already at least those horrible cracks have gone, still undecided what paint to use for the antifouling colour, I like the red oxide but if I do that colour then I don't want the shiny look but I need to seal it with some sort of clear coat, I have already bought a tin of the Humbrol no 19 bright red as per the original instructions but to me this doesn't look right 

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2017, 01:12:11 pm »

As you don't know what it was originally painted with its a difficult choice. I would say the best bet to avoid paint reaction is Humbrol, with it being enamel based it doesn't usually react with other unknown paints - but there is always a chance! Humbrol does have a close colour to red oxide in its matt enamel range. Once painted you can spray a Humbrol satin or matt clear coat, available in spray cans.

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2017, 07:19:23 pm »

Here's a couple of photos in the state it's in at the moment, still needs some more filling and sanding but it's getting there slowly

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2017, 12:40:57 pm »

Few more pics of it coming along, obviously still has the masking tape on, I took the decision to hand paint the black in humbrol enamel paint as I wanted to keep the older look to the boat which I think you lose with spraying, got to make a couple of repairs to the mast and rear crane but they are being repainted anyway

Still lots to do

mersey dave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2017, 11:39:40 am »

Looking good :-)) keep at it you are doing a grand job.

Regards Dave.

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2017, 12:04:09 pm »

Looking good :-)) keep at it you are doing a grand job.

Regards Dave.
Cheers Dave that's very kind of you,
but it's not up to the standards of your stuff, to be honest I've found this is rather more difficult undoing someone else's work and trying to put right the poor paintwork that was on it due to it's age especially around the deck that's looking like a pain in the rear, much rather build something from scratch or at least a kit
This morning I've managed to fit the new portholes this morning see pic (bit un-tug like) some might say but I though I would change it a little, rear cranes have been taken off and sanded down ready for re-painting also I made new rear cover for the rudder access as that had curled up of age (she is 38 years old)
it will be respectable & usable once done and I will probably give it to my son once I've built myself something else after this is finished 

here's a pic of the portholes

mersey dave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2017, 12:10:05 pm »

They look good Paul, I am like you I like my tugs to look like they have done a bit of work.... don't like them looking to clean a few scuffs here and there and to me they look better.

Regards Dave.

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2017, 12:37:49 pm »

They look good Paul, I am like you I like my tugs to look like they have done a bit of work.... don't like them looking to clean a few scuffs here and there and to me they look better.

Regards Dave.

Yes I have to say when was the last time you saw a clean shiny tug? you've probably seen a few tugs around the Liverpool docks

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2017, 08:10:36 pm »

Right I've done a little more on the Smit and I've got a conundrum and need your help, more of that later but the parts I've done is to strip the funnels off the bridge section and separated them from the main mast the mast as its being fitting with lights and a working radar (or 2  ok2 ) and will be repainted before being refitting, the funnels have been rubbed back ready for painting.
I've also finished the strips around the bow in the correct colours.
Anyway back to my conundrum the previous owner gave me a large pot of Humbrol Number 3 "Brunswick Green" paint and said that it was for the deck, but this is a gloss paint and I'm not sure it will look right  {:-{ although it does seem correct to the original instructions, to me it looks like the old council park bench green you used to see everywhere and also being gloss doesn't seem right for a deck (I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong) but can anyone please suggest what colour and whether gloss or matt to do the deck?  green is ok or any other colour suggestions gladly accepted

Pic of hull so far

T33cno

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2017, 08:11:59 pm »

looking great Paul  :-)

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2017, 08:14:47 pm »

thank you, I've found it harder to redo an old build than to build it up from scratch, but it will be ok in the end  :-))

T33cno

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2017, 08:44:35 pm »

The decks should be duck egg blue which is a pale green if anything.

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2017, 08:49:42 pm »

The decks should be duck egg blue which is a pale green if anything.

Yes that looks far more like the colour I was thinking it should be and being matt it's far more appropriate, thank you T33cno your a star  :-))

T33cno

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2017, 08:54:29 pm »

There is a brunswick green on the paint schedule but its not for the decks. However I have seen a number of ghastly models where it was used for the decks and I believe the early kits had quite poor instructions that led to this

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2017, 09:03:16 pm »

hence why the chap said that what he used and I have to say I believe him as the where faded but in placed like under the superstructure it was still dark Brunswick green (Yuuk!!)

Anyway I've just ordered the correct #23 duck blue x2 I'll be happy once I've done the decks as there are so many nooks and cranny's to get around I'm not looking forward to that although I have removed most of the decks hardware.

anyway yours is looking good  :-)) I see you've cut a hole under the rear cranes are you going to make them work? mine where stuck solid but I've removed them carefully for repainting etc but I was just going to fit them loose so that I could at least remove them easily or maybe later make them move 

T33cno

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2017, 09:05:20 pm »

Thanks
No Paul the hole is already laser cut and where the dowel locates nothing more.
Mine has stood still for a while while spare time and interest is diverted to my Portgarth
I will continue when the time is right  :-)

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2017, 09:24:07 pm »

Ah ok so that must be a later modification then as mine has solid decks under the cranes although easy enough to drill through and connect up if needed

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2017, 10:36:05 pm »

Hi ya Paul, that duck-egg blue is what I used on my Smit Nederland rebuild and it does look good. A tip from Carlmt (linkspan models) is to square off the end of the paint brush to avoid getting "fine hair trails" of paint where the bulwarks meet the deck. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2017, 11:05:07 pm »

Hi ya Paul, that duck-egg blue is what I used on my Smit Nederland rebuild and it does look good. A tip from Carlmt (linkspan models) is to square off the end of the paint brush to avoid getting "fine hair trails" of paint where the bulwarks meet the deck. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

Great tip thank you Ray, I've ordered the duck egg now so just have to await delivery before I can get painting again

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2017, 07:36:23 am »

Found one tin of duck egg blue in my stash of so got started on the decks, looks better already  :}

Not sure what to do about the railings, I hate making railings!! just thought I'd get that out the way they are currently painted and where a little bent about so do I reuse them as they are and try to re-straighten them as best as possible or do I strip the paint from them and completely re-make them with new wire, just think the new wire is going to get bent fitting it anyway as it's so thin hmmmm!!

mersey dave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2017, 08:09:47 am »

Hi Paul, looking good mate...... as for the railings I would have a go at new ones mate, you could spend a lot of time trying to salvage the old bent ones. :-)) :-)) :-))

Regards Dave.

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2017, 07:17:27 pm »

Hi Paul, looking good mate...... as for the railings I would have a go at new ones mate, you could spend a lot of time trying to salvage the old bent ones. :-)) :-)) :-))

Regards Dave.

Yeah I think your right Dave but I might straighten & refit the originals for the time being as I'm desperately trying to get this on the water soon but I would like to make some new one's and solder these as the original are just thin wire going through the stanchions which the wire is not soldered
Anyway some new pics for you, I've been doing a bit on it this afternoon as I got home early from work

New motors in place

Rear deck painted

Forward decks given 2nd coat after rubbing down as I wasn't happy with after the first coat

White stripe on the bow done

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2017, 08:29:02 pm »

managed to get quite a bit done today, connected up the Action P94 to the P92 power board and the receiver all plugged in but I've got no transmitter yet so when I turned the power on only 1 motor was running  {:-{ , hopefully this is because it's not set up with the transmitter yet? (should be here by Tuesday)
also got the funnels re-painted & re-glued back on just got all the deck bits to glue on, railings to finish off and the front mast to fit nav lights too before re-fitting.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 23 queries.