Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tethered hydros  (Read 3978 times)

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
Tethered hydros
« on: March 06, 2017, 09:37:46 pm »

Anyone here have an interest in tethered hydros?

With invaluable help from Ray Sparkes and Jim Free,  I've just commenced building one...a single step boat, based loosely on a vintage boat called  'Mona', and to be powered by a Saito .120 four stroke motor.

The phrase "a vertical learning curve" springs to mind....
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
Re: Tethered hydros
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 10:38:57 am »

This is the bare hull of my boat, as built by Ray Sparkes...more or less ready to prime and paint, it measures 30" x 12"
Rich

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 11:49:17 am »

%%  Wow ! I haven't seen tethered boats / hydroplanes for many a day , flash steam was a favourite at one of our local clubs , the thought of something doing 60 mph plus in a circle a foot from your crown jewels still sends a shudder down my spine .
Wouldn't elf & safety / insurance be an issue these day's ?
It's certainly a spectacular sight.
Bill

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 12:28:16 pm »

Hi Bill,

I've always fancied one of these monsters, I did see a few boats running many years back in London somewhere, that's what started me off with them.

Insurance...well, I would imagine that a club insurance would cover that, but I will check and make sure. Same as H&S...
Rich

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 12:52:26 pm »

You'll need a substantial rotating tethering post too , anyone you know with a reliable design ?
And a kill switch also , you aint going to stop it with your mitts  %%  I seem to remember a rod sticking up from the throttle / feed assembly & the operator held out a stick to knock it down as it sped past , shutting off fuel or steam supply .
Out of interest anyone got photo's of one of these events ? paste them here on this post ?
Bill

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 12:59:18 pm »

You'll need a substantial rotating tethering post too , anyone you know with a reliable design ?
And a kill switch also , you aint going to stop it with your mitts  %%  I seem to remember a rod sticking up from the throttle / feed assembly & the operator held out a stick to knock it down as it sped past , shutting off fuel or steam supply .
Out of interest anyone got photo's of one of these events ? paste them here on this post ?
Bill

I'll only ever run the boat at a proper regatta, Bill...I wouldn't dare risk it at our local lake, the warden would commit hari-kari!

Fuel shut off is being sorted as I go...for photos, go take a look here: www.onthewire.co.uk 
Rich

Vintage

• Full Mayhemer
    • Artisan Works
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 05:43:31 pm »

Anyone here have an interest in tethered hydros?

Oh yes  :-))

Sounds like a great project, it'll be great to see your updates...

That second image you posted shows "Betty" - quite a famous hydroplane that was built and raced by "The Innocent Brothers"  ⬅︎ (link to On-The-Wire).

I managed to find an old Wicksteed hydro "JEP" that was a contemporary of Betty and was raced against her for "The Timpson Trophy" at Wicksteed Park in 1933.

Needless to say that Betty seemed to be in a class of her own...

JEP was originally owned and raced by a Mr H R Perkins who is shown, with another of his hydros, in the image below (JEP is the 4th from the left).

There's more about it all on the following link ➡︎ Wicksteed Park Model Boat Club history page.

Good luck with the project  :-))

Mark
Reproduction wooden stands for the full range of vintage Star Yacht models are available from Vintage Pond Yachts

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 05:59:53 pm »

Hi Mark,

I'll do my best to keep the updates coming, although it may be a long, drawn out, build up. I have but very little in the way of tools and equipment now, so if I can't do it with what I have, I have to go on the scrounge and find a willing volunteer.

It's going to be interesting though, the thought of the thing flying round a pole with a big old Saito .120 four stroke on full song, is to put it mildly....frightening!
Rich

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 11:21:52 am »

Well, here we go then...prop arrived this morning from Prestwich Models. 61mm, two bladed alloy, threaded for a 5mm shaft. Lovely job...

And, the brass fuel tank also arrived, courtesy of Ray Sparkes. Beautiful piece of work...thanks Ray, much appreciated.
Rich

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 12:27:50 pm »

Your prop looks a little low pitched for a tethered hydro. Here's a couple from the stand at Alexandra palace.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 05:28:22 pm »

Low pitched...really?
Rich

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 11:24:55 pm »

61mm diameter x 86mm pitch, Jim....
Rich

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 12:59:11 pm »

If you look at the two props in the photo  they look like an extremely high pitch. The front is at least 80 degrees with only the rear showing much of a lower angle. This was one of the first things I noticed  when I looked at the stand.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 01:22:05 pm »

Good grief...yes,  I see what you mean Jim. More research needed, methinks...
Rich

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 04:31:40 pm »

Hi I think you will find there are very precise rules for the wire and the tether on the hydroplane, try the MPBA web site, assuming you want to have insurance cover.
I have a risk assessment for tethered hydroplanes produced for running at our local lake, you may also need a flexible fencing between you the boat and any casual spectators.  It runs to rather a lot of pages.
regards Roy

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 05:53:04 pm »

Hi I think you will find there are very precise rules for the wire and the tether on the hydroplane, try the MPBA web site, assuming you want to have insurance cover.
I have a risk assessment for tethered hydroplanes produced for running at our local lake, you may also need a flexible fencing between you the boat and any casual spectators.  It runs to rather a lot of pages.
regards Roy

Fear not, Roy...I'd only ever run the thing at a proper meeting with proper organisation.  The lake warden at our local club lake would commit hari-kari at the first signs of the boat, plus we don't have the proper equpment to allow these boats to be used.
Rich

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 06:22:26 pm »

Hi there Roy

I think you will find the size and pitch of the props will be governed by the size of motor you are using and the class of boat you are building/  These will be set out in Rules somewhere.  I strongly suggest you join an online club, such as '0n the Wire' to find out all of the rules governing tethered hydros.  As you know, the races of these classes aren't done every day.  A long time ago, I used to race the straight running 3 point hydro planes a lot like the model Slow Motion.   I left the tethered hydro running to my good mate, Bob Kirtley, as I used to get a twisted neck watching them go round the poles :-) - here are a couple of links of the flash steam tethered hydro planes running.  Watch and listen because when they start up they sound a lot like a gas turbine some of them - and also watch for the boilers glowing red.

Note how they start them with a cord :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77NGg79U_mc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJBG7k3DIms

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 08:27:13 pm »

Hi Bluebird we used to host 3 hydroplane meetings a year at the St.Albans lake and they were international events.
Unfortunately we had a scare about waterbourn infections and the local hotels allegedley refused to have the the competitors stay with them.  So we have not seen any hydroplanes for the last few years. 
Several world record runs have been recorded here, not sure whether it will ever start up again.
regards Roy

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2017, 03:21:00 am »

I always  thought Tethered Hydros ran in an enclosure like RTP flying models  A wire mesh affair on metal poles secured around the perimeter
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.