Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laquer or varnish?  (Read 1925 times)

IanLloyd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
Laquer or varnish?
« on: March 07, 2017, 08:58:38 am »

OK I am beginning to think I am either stupid or just being thick here so bear with me please, must be an age thing!

I am wanting to put a clear sealing gloss coat over a boat I am restoring. The paintwork is OK but a bit dull and the wooden deck looks like it has been varnished.

I have read many of the articles and suggestions on here and am still a bit confused. Can I buy something that I can either spray or (preferred) brush on all over the boat to seal it, give it a gloss finish. and make sure it is waterproof.

I have seen varnishes and laquers although to be honest am not sure exactly what the difference is. I understand some types will react possibly so am prepared to try small patches first. I also have no idea what has been used on the boat already so I know I must take care although it looks like the hull has been spray painted and the wooden deck varnished.

Is there one thing that will cover both?

What is the difference between lacquer and varnish?

Any help would be appreciated.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Laquer or varnish?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 09:43:00 am »

In your situation I would definitely go for interior polyurethane varnish (NOT the water based quick dry variety).

This will go on over just about any existing fully dry surface without reacting and can be brushed or thinned and sprayed. You need the interior version as the exterior one contains anti UV pigments which give it more of a tint.

The interior version will slightly darken or tint the existing surface and this will be more apparent on light colours. If your hull is white then it is better to repaint with white paint.

Poyurethane varnish is avaiable in small tins from Blackfriar, Rustins and Ronseal although you will probably need to go to an ironmongers to find it as the big DiY chains often don't stock it these days.

They all come in Gloss, Satin and Matt clear versions.

http://www.blackfriar.co.uk/product/polyurethane-varnish/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rustins-POSC250-250ml-Satin-Varnish/dp/B001GU4BQW

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/36n/Ronseal-UTVHG250-250ml-Ultra-Hardglaze-Internal-Varnish/B001GU4BGW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1488879500&sr=8-4&keywords=interior+gloss+varnish

Colin

IanLloyd

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 10:25:35 am »

Thanks, will visit the local hardware shop and see what they have.

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 02:31:03 am »

As a broad generalisation lacquers have a solvent base meths cellulose etc and varnishes an oil base of one sort or another .Again broadly speaking lacquers should not be applied over varnishes or oil based paints. The other way round is ok  Usually Test first in a hidden area       Good luck
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.