Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Proboat Shockwave 26" issue, propshaft.  (Read 2131 times)

Oh How Original

• Full Mayhemer
  • A noob learning.
    • RC Fun Everyday
Proboat Shockwave 26" issue, propshaft.
« on: May 15, 2018, 05:18:04 pm »

I was running my Shockwave last time out and it ran fine up until it started making a very loud vibrating noise.
I immediately brought it in and noticed the prop shaft had a little bit of movement, that ended the day and I assumed it was just a bush or something.
I've had a look today and noticed quite excessive wear on the part the shaft goes through (forgive the non technical terms lol)
It's been greased correctly when used and this is after 5 or 6 packs, which seems quite premature.
I wondered if anyone knows how to replace it or is there an upgrade?
I don't want to have to do this every 6 packs.
It (to my untrained eye) doesn't look replaceable without taking everything out of the hull and removing all the epoxy, which again, I don't really want to have to do if I can help it, given the boat is barely used.
Can anyone shed any light on this for me please?
I've left it a bit late but hoped to take it out tomorrow, I can't see that happening now lol.

Tombsy

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Proboat Shockwave 26" issue, propshaft.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 06:04:56 pm »

From what I have read this seems to be an issue with these boats even when the flex has been properly lubed. But it sounds like Horizon has been replacing boats with this issue under warranty. I’d try a call to Horizon and see if maybe they can arrange something with your local hobby dealer.
Brian

Oh How Original

• Full Mayhemer
  • A noob learning.
    • RC Fun Everyday
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 07:00:14 pm »

From what I have read this seems to be an issue with these boats even when the flex has been properly lubed. But it sounds like Horizon has been replacing boats with this issue under warranty. I’d try a call to Horizon and see if maybe they can arrange something with your local hobby dealer.

I would if I thought it would do me any good, unfortunately I've contacted Horizon twice before about problems with brand new products and they play deaf and dumb.
It took something like 8 weeks to get them to simply give me some information about this boats ESC, nothing was online, well, not what I needed.
I don't have the receipt either, although the boat was new and still wrapped, I bought it off a friend rather than from a shop, he bought it and didn't use it.
Looks like I might be screwed  {:-{

Tombsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 07:20:39 pm »

If you want to put in a new tube for a flex shaft and a new strut, sometimes if you put a soldering iron up the existing tube it will melt the epoxy enough to get it out. The Chinese epoxy usually isn’t the greatest.
Brian

Oh How Original

• Full Mayhemer
  • A noob learning.
    • RC Fun Everyday
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 08:05:59 pm »

If you want to put in a new tube for a flex shaft and a new strut, sometimes if you put a soldering iron up the existing tube it will melt the epoxy enough to get it out. The Chinese epoxy usually isn’t the greatest.

To be honest I can't even find the replacement part.
The only reason it's vibrating is due to an extra like spacer thing, but I can't find another either.
If I could cut that end down a bit, then put another spacer on it, I think it'd be fine, but can't find that part either.
Such a pain in the 'bottom' trying to find some of these parts.

Tombsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 01:22:40 am »

Usually there is a bushing nested in the tube that goes in the strut like this
https://youtu.be/XSAaeknjTxk
You can make your own from some brass tubing, drill some holes in it and solder on a small lip of the next size up tubing. Here’s a how to
http://www.modelgasboats.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=328:make-your-own-strut-bushings&catid=18&Itemid=142
So that’s the regular setup with a strut, I’m not sure how your boat is setup but hopefully you can adapt something to fit.

Brian

Oh How Original

• Full Mayhemer
  • A noob learning.
    • RC Fun Everyday
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 07:07:24 pm »

Usually there is a bushing nested in the tube that goes in the strut like this
https://youtu.be/XSAaeknjTxk
You can make your own from some brass tubing, drill some holes in it and solder on a small lip of the next size up tubing. Here’s a how to
http://www.modelgasboats.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=328:make-your-own-strut-bushings&catid=18&Itemid=142
So that’s the regular setup with a strut, I’m not sure how your boat is setup but hopefully you can adapt something to fit.

I did wonder about being able to do something like that actually.
Thanks for much for those links, I might give that a go.
It doesn't actually seem too difficult when seen in pictures.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.