Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendation for Starter Boat  (Read 7877 times)

thedukeofno

• Shipmate
Recommendation for Starter Boat
« on: March 11, 2017, 10:19:09 pm »

Folks:

Just joined, glad to be here. Lots of good info.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a good first boat for my 5-year old son (and his 47-year old dad!). I'm looking for something that's not a toy and not a speed boat. Something he can control.

Ready-to-sail out of the box is not a requirement, but I would like the kit to include everything I need to get started (i.e. radio & servers).

FYI I'm located in the UK.

Thanks in Advance!

david48

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Recommendation for Starter Boat
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 11:09:01 pm »

Welcome to the world of Mayhem . The UK is a  big place, it is really useful to put your town or area where you live , not your address . There might be someone near or a club that could be helpful, to you .
Davi
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

MartinL

• Full Mayhemer
  • Founder member Westham Ocean Racing Yacht Club
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 11:13:26 pm »

In answer to your request I think you couldn't go far wrong with Aeronought,s Mowe II which you will find is being built on a current thread. Yes it would be useful to know roughly where you were.

http://www.aero-naut.de/produkte/produktsuche/single-view/?tx_edxproductman_pi1%5Bproduct%5D=309100&tx_edxproductman_pi1%5Bsearcharray%5D%5Bsubject%5D=309100&tx_edxproductman_pi1%5Baction%5D=show&tx_edxproductman_pi1%5Bcontroller%5D=Product&cHash=e7a3d043a655b04

thedukeofno

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 11:16:07 pm »

Thanks for the advice. I've updated my profile. I'm located in Guildford, Surrey.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 09:28:05 am »

Get something reasonably simple.  Cabin cruisers are a good example, also small tugs like those by SHG.  It is highly unlikely that you will find any kind of kit that goes as far as including anything more than basic running gear. After the first model, most modelers have a radio and a collection of other parts, the market for kits reflects this.  A few contain a motor, none that I know of come with a radio or servos or speed control.
The only exception to that is yachts like the DragonForce (small) and Laser (not small), but I don't think that that is what you intend.  Not kits as such, but very much RTR with rather poor radios are items like the "Smasher Destroyer" that can be found on ebay.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 09:38:26 am »

Models like the Smasher destroyer, and the Seaport tug have a 'toy'grade radio, in the 27 MHz frequency range, but they will just get swamped if anyone else is using 27 MHz, also, you cannot sail two of them together with the original radio due to both transmitters trying to control both receivers.

However, the Seaport tug is ideal for simple conversion and is otherwise ready to sail out of the box. They are also cheap and there are many conversions on here. In fact we have a whole board devoted to them http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,125.0.htmlIn theory, you could buy two, then sail one with your son, while you convert the other.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 05:43:26 pm »

hi there

this is one downside of Forums - we can never tell a person's capabilities - not meaning to be of an insult - but, are you handy with ya hands - ie. able to make stuff.  Because, there are numerous laser cut/easy to build wood pack kits which are available - which may be enjoyable for you and your son to build together.   I know it is difficult to keep a 5 year old interested in what is going on for more than 10 mins - but it may be worth a try.    Here is a link (below) have a look for the boat by Glyn Guest - this is a plan & woodpack kit.   You will still need to supply the obvious things like glue etc.   There will be a written article in a Model Boats magazine which you should be able to purchase and this will give you all of this information.

https://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/323106/mm2079-ute-plan-woodpack-

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 06:21:48 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

thedukeofno

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 12:09:52 am »

hi there

this is one downside of Forums - we can never tell a person's capabilities - not meaning to be of an insult - but, are you handy with ya hands - ie. able to make stuff

---------------------------------
Thanks, John. I'm quite handy. I've built and detailed quite a few plastic models, mostly WWII-era naval aircraft. I can work with wood, weld, solder, etc. No worries on that front.

I'm a marine engineer by education, have been involved in the marine industry for 25+ years and am currently on a project where we are designing / building 20+ ships. Oddly enough, I've never built a model of something that floats, other than a VW Beetle. Maybe never wanted work / hobby to mix. But the kids are coming of an age where they are interested in what I do for a living, and this might be a fun way to expose them to it.

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 07:15:24 am »

All good advise but no one has explained what he does about R/C gear .Come  on you experts fill him in on this. I will offer one piece of advice  is join a club.Most of them will welcome you with open arms

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 08:55:56 am »

All good advise but no one has explained what he does about R/C gear .Come  on you experts fill him in on this. I will offer one piece of advice  is join a club.Most of them will welcome you with open arms
If there is a handy club, that's a great idea. 
The actual control bits depends on the boat, but any of the basic 2.4GHz radios will provide a good starter provided that the advertising for it either does say "full range" and/or DOESNT say "park flyer".
A kit was originally mentioned, but for someone not afraid of marking and cutting wood, a "Springer" would be a good candidate.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 09:28:44 am »

Hi how's about we find out the where the chap is going before we tell him how to get there and what to use  O0 O0

john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 11:13:14 am »

He already told us what is needed and of his abilities.He obviously must have access to water or he wouldn't be thinking of doing this so come on let's steer him straight. My thought is one of those plans  from a plans service that supply cut parts kits to go with.Obviously accessories would need  buying seperately but it could work out cheaper and he could get something more suited to his needs. Outerzone comes to mind and there are others

thedukeofno

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 02:03:16 pm »

Thanks, folks. I appreciate the input.

I live in Guildford and we have a nice purpose-built model boat pond in a nearby park. I've never seen anyone using the pond in my numerous visits. While that can be good, it also seems unfortunate in that there doesn't seem to be a local club. I also haven't found an RC model shop in Guildford or the immediate surrounding area.

At the moment all I'm doing is research (and building a nice workbench in my garage to accommodate our new undertaking as shipwrights). I'm liking the idea of tugs for slower speed and maneuverability ideal for a 5-year old. I want to stay away from anything too "toyish". I'd like to have something that the boy and I can assemble / paint / launch together and he can keep as an adult, much as I kept the model rockets I built with my dad almost 40 years ago. He's young, he'll become impatient and he'll become distracted, so I might want to avoid a full-on scratchbuild unless it's something I can bang out in a few weekends.

Some I'm thinking about:

Graupner Pollux 2 (but seems expensive)
Mowe (as was recommended above)
SHG's "Saucy Sue" (I'm worried that the vac formed hulls might be a bit thin and "cheap")

Eventually, I want to scratchbuild a model of one of the vessels I'm currently involved with. Don't know if I want to make it radio-controlled, however.

thedukeofno

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 02:46:24 pm »

MartinL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 09:02:27 pm »

That's why I recommended it but wasn't sure if it was ok to quote specific firms.

Daleb

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 10:17:57 pm »

Wouldn't think you can go wrong for that kind of money, I'm doing the Aero Naut Jenny and it's a well thought out and easy build kit. Just my opinion but I think that Mowe 2 package is ideal for what you're looking for with your lad  :-))

thedukeofno

• Shipmate
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 11:42:09 pm »

Daleb, I think you might be spot on!

I think I feel a new time & money-consuming hobby coming on.  %)

MartinL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 07:12:02 am »

The very best of luck with it, please keep us informed. I built a boat with my daughter in 1986 and we had great fun with it. It has just been refurbished for my granddaughter who has just turned 2. Not too long to wait!
Martin.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2017, 01:19:14 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 05:52:50 pm »

You could try one of these and upgrade when required.
These have a 2 channel radio ESC and great for a 5 yr old.
I have got 3 of these for mine and others grandchildren.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252809577781?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 05:57:36 pm »

I've got one of those too Bob!
Almost ready-to-run, so no building required.   :-))

andymart

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2017, 01:30:15 pm »

Chertsey Model Boat club are looking for members and that is approx 10 miles from you.

Dreadstar

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 08:28:48 pm »

Don't discount the SHG vac-form kit,as I've had no problems with the King Midas tug kit since I built mine back in 2012.
Vosper MkIII Corvette
Type 24 Frigate
HMS Cyclops
King Midas tug
Sovremenny GMD
Geobukseon(Turtle ship).

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2018, 02:25:52 am »

several starter boats, club 500, and vacform kit from Sarik, SHG vac form kits, Kadet by deans marine, and if you are handy with a couple of power tools springer tugs.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.