Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Science Museum - Maritime section - 2004  (Read 5786 times)

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Science Museum - Maritime section - 2004
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 04:56:50 pm »

It's a pity that all their shop models are now in storage off site.

Colin

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 05:23:01 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 05:23:30 pm »

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 05:24:11 pm »

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 05:24:38 pm »

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 05:25:06 pm »

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 05:27:02 pm »

It's a pity that all their shop models are now in storage off site.

Colin

Yes, what a shame!   {:-{

What is the state of Greenwich Museum these days?

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 05:18:42 pm »

Utube video at the Science Museum 2011:
https://youtu.be/TSA5AW_YXBQ

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 08:22:12 pm »

Yes, what a shame!   {:-{

What is the state of Greenwich Museum these days?

I think the majority of their models are in storage at Chatham where a few are on display but can't be closely examined. It's a few years now since I was at Greenwich and I was very disappointed in their displays. Most were of the modern type with a few objects in a large case with dumbed down labels. Greenwich was an excellent museum containing a lot of material but I suppose this is not suitable to keep the interest of the school kids on their annual school trip. When I first visited there was an excellent bookshop containing a large range of maritime reference books. The last time the shop was the usual souvenir trash.
The destruction of the ship gallery at the Science museum was criminal. OK it was rather dated and therefore not interesting to many of today's visitors with an attention span shorter than a goldfish. With a bit of reworking I'm sure that it could have been improved and there wouldn't have been the loss of many models that were on loan as long as they were on display. Now these ship models are lost for open display.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 08:43:17 pm »

Alas both the Imperial War Museum and Science Museum have long since cleared out virtually all their ship models to make way for quick walk through dioramas for time-limited school trips.

Nowadays if you want to see a really interesting collection of model boats you have to go to a model boat show. 
Often hundreds on display, without glass cases that prevent you taking decent photographs.
If you don't like "dumbed down labels" then at least you have the opportunity to discuss the ship in question with its builder, who has probably spent countless hours researching her during the build.

HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 01:49:47 pm »

Interesting to see some of my models pictured again after all these years

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 04:30:27 pm »

The last time I visited the Science Museum just before the gallery was closed, I found it to be quite dated really, Yes, the models were of interest especially the working engine models - to me, but not to many others from what I could see. From what could find out the gallery had changed very little since it was opened in the sixties I think, and a lot of the models especially, the older ones were in need of a lot of TLC. It must also be faced that a majority of the exhibits had no relevance whatsoever to the lives of the younger, and not so young, generations. That of course might change in the future but if it does it will be a long way off.

Whilst on the subject of disappearing maritime collections, does anyone recall the "Oakhill Manor" Museum in Wiltshire? It was widely advertised in Model Boats in the seventies and I visited it in the mid seventies. It was crammed full of models especially maritime subjects including show case models from the shipping company's. One of which was, probably, the builders model of the Campania; the same vessel that can be seen in the pictures above, but before she was refitted with the extended forecastle and after deck extensions early in her career. This model I might add, was kept in the semi outdoor café with no glass in the case and just covered with tarpaulin!

LB

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 04:52:32 pm »

I did discuss the closure with the curator not long before it happened. As LB says, the gallery had hardly changed at all since it was set up in 1963. In recent years I used to visit every year or so but unlike other parts of the museum it attracted hardly any visitors at all and was taking up a lot of space that could be used more usefully from the Museum's viewpoint.

My regret is that the opportunity wasn't taken to continue with an updated smaller display which, with perhaps a bit of imagination, could have been presented in a more contemporary fashion. For example, that wonderful giant model of the Queen Elizabeth could have been used as a centrepiece for a presentation on classic ocean travel. Something similar could have been done with one of the big warship models to illustrate the Navy. Unfortunately the decision was taken to clear out the lot, lock, stock and barrel.

I still have a catalogue of the models dating back to when the gallery was opened in the 1960s which is a useful reference work with quite detailed descriptions of the ships relating to the models on display.

The Science Museum was originally invited to join the Chatham project along with the Maritime and War museums but apparently negotiations fell through and they elected to use their own off site storage facility where I imagine the models will be gently left to rot!

The Museum did undertake a 3D Fly Through of the gallery before it was dismantled and you can get some idea of the huge range of exhibits here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDTbFhFZl9I

Colin

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 04:56:44 pm »

Whilst on the subject of disappearing maritime collections, does anyone recall the "Oakhill Manor" Museum in Wiltshire?
LB

it was I believe in Rutland at Rutland water if memory serves me, not Wiltshire.

as for the Science Museum......although as has been said on here which I have no doubt about, most of the models are now in storage, I asked for help a couple of weeks ago in some detailing on the steam lifeboat in their collection, and these two emails were the replies.

Dear Neil,
Many thanks for your enquiry and interest in the Science Museum’s collections, and apologies for the delay in reply while the request was processed. It sounds like a very interesting project, especially as it will be a working model, and to raise money for the RNLI too.
The model in our collections is object number 1912-130. I will be able to take photographs of this model for you, from all angles as you suggest, and will try to find the jets you mention around the stern – is this by the rudder? Are there any other details you are particularly hoping to capture? I’m afraid I am not a ship model expert so please excuse my questions.
Also just to forewarn you, it might take a couple of weeks to get the photos to you, as it is currently in quite deep storage and in a crate, so it will take a bit of time. I hope that’s OK, and we will try and do it as soon as we can. Once I have taken the photos the model will go back into storage, which is why I am particularly keen to get all the details you require because that will be my opportunity.
I look forward to hearing from you and hope you have a good weekend.
Best wishes,
Natasha.

and
Dear Neil, 
Many thanks for your reply with all the details – I will try and take as many detailed photographs as possible from the areas you suggest. And thank you for putting it in terms that I can understand as well!
I will get back to you when I can with the photographs, which as I said, might be in a few weeks but we will do it as soon as we can. 
Best wishes,
Natasha.

I don't think anyone could be of more help to a modeller than this lady has been. top marks to the Science Museum.
She's on my Christmas card list.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 05:21:17 pm »

it was I believe in Rutland at Rutland water if memory serves me, not Wiltshire.

Neil we're both wrong it's in Somerset :-))

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trainsandstuff/sets/72157608030994648/

LB, who readily admits that he is not infallible.  ok2

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 05:31:10 pm »

That's an encouraging response Neil. I am glad that the models are once again accessible. The curator, David Rooney gave me to understand that it could be up to two years before access to them could be made as they would need to acclimatise to their new environment. Some of the big builder's models were already displaying significant cracking when the gallery was closed and I don't suppose the move will have improved things. Sounds like they are all still crated and likely to remain that way although I was told that they would still eventually be available for research purposes which seems to be the case, although no substitute for being on display as they were originally intended to be.

The Chatham project is more encouraging as a lot of money was spent on the new storage facility, some £13m for the whole project, including repairs and adaptations to the No 1 Smithery building.

Colin

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 05:40:45 pm »

Neil we're both wrong it's in Somerset :-))

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trainsandstuff/sets/72157608030994648/

LB, who readily admits that he is not infallible.  ok2

I always thought it was in Rutland.................no wonder people looked at me stupid when I called in at Rutland once some years ago and started asking where the manor was where they sailed big model boats..............it's a wonder I wan't put in a straight jacket and taken away,  {-) {-) %% %% %% {:-{ {:-{

Bowwave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 05:50:16 pm »

One of the best collections of ship models was the Clyde Room at the Transport Museum Glasgow . Alas the Clyde room was moved   to the Riverside Museum  where many of the original Clyde room models are displayed  .Unfortunately   the change was not for the better . The   Riverside Museum  in their wisdom  tried to  focus on models being displayed  in a thought provoking way  , such as    hanging  them  from mid  air or on a moving conveyer belt . Whilst it was an eye catcher  you really couldn't  see any of the   models  in their entirety   and as such was disappointing . Yet at least they made the effort to show many from the original collection and not transfer them to the archive. The latter I have also visited and that was an altogether different story.
Bowwave

furball

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 06:41:58 pm »

The Greenwich collection at Chatham does open occasionally for visits, I’ve been in there several times (but I am on site quite often).

Lance

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 08:28:47 pm »

There was a brief glimpse of where all museum model boats have been stored away from public view at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f4/46/c2/f446c20dc2f504ca353e97cf9d22430f.jpg
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.