Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 52   Go Down

Author Topic: MMM Portgarth build  (Read 331292 times)

T33cno

Re: MMM Portgarth build
« Reply #550 on: May 26, 2017, 04:57:19 pm »

Hi mate lovely build there - any chance of a linky to where you got that Bosch extractor - ta  :-))
Thank you Mark and Likewise your Fairmount  :-))

Its got even cheaper  :((
https://www.alza.co.uk/bosch-gas-20-l-sfc-d4737572.htm?kampan=adeu_uk-pla-cpa_produkty_c_9046326_BOC162b&gclid=CjwKEAjwpJ_JBRC3tYai4Ky09zQSJAC5r7ruHkk3bhFNZKL3G7mhSxqoggKty3hPxxkAnkbpepEejxoCI3fw_wcB

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #551 on: May 26, 2017, 05:00:04 pm »

Good man - I've searched every where and that is a cracking deal on the price.  My next build will be starting soon (hopefully) and theres a lot of sanding involved so this will keep my wife very very happy

T33cno

« Reply #552 on: May 26, 2017, 07:01:40 pm »

I'm glad I went the extra yard today and the hull below plimsol line will only need a recover of lacquer
Transforms the stern to a close likeness from a don't really care it'll do  >:-o 

T33cno

« Reply #553 on: May 26, 2017, 09:55:23 pm »

Going well today. However the asymmetry again rears its ugly head around the stern. It's as though the whole starboard side is lagging behind port by as much as 5mm which plays havoc with bulwarks n gunnels
 All one can do is try disguise it or build your own plug (I'm thinking about it)
It's a shame to work so hard when the product undermines your efforts.

I'll avoid the birdseye view  <*<
Best effort

counterman

• Shipmate
« Reply #554 on: May 26, 2017, 10:15:07 pm »

Hi Andy do you have to worry about water getting in through the access covers on the deck I'm worried about my electronics underneath.

T33cno

« Reply #555 on: May 26, 2017, 10:19:18 pm »

Not if you position them so any leaks or drips are not directly onto something delicate.
My main hatch will have a gasket and be screwed down. The rear hatches will just be vaseline and screws.
On a clam day I don't think water is an issue but when choppy it can be different but I think mine can take a fair bit of bilge before it'll sink  O0

Kevgarth

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #556 on: May 26, 2017, 10:34:09 pm »

That looks a lot better Andy it's a great pity you had to do this in the first place.
When you off to Liverpool?

Regards
Kevin

T33cno

« Reply #557 on: May 26, 2017, 10:36:17 pm »

Next Thursday for 12 days

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #558 on: May 27, 2017, 01:04:08 am »

Going well today. However the asymmetry again rears its ugly head around the stern. It's as though the whole starboard side is lagging behind port by as much as 5mm which plays havoc with bulwarks n gunnels
 All one can do is try disguise it or build your own plug (I'm thinking about it)
It's a shame to work so hard when the product undermines your efforts.

I'll avoid the birdseye view  <*< 

Best effort

Welcome to the world of model boat building Andy

T33cno

« Reply #559 on: May 27, 2017, 08:15:21 am »

Next Thursday for 12 days

I'm not so far into the build yet that I can't change this to the Smit Belgie as Portgarths are common as muck  {-)

timbo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #560 on: May 27, 2017, 11:00:40 am »

Good idea, something different go for it.

T33cno

« Reply #561 on: May 27, 2017, 12:56:45 pm »

Nearly finished the gunnels, just the bow piece to make.
My next plan of attack is to mask the bulwarks and paint the decks. This will be red primer with matt lacquer.
As Im using 2mm styrene for the bulwark ribs I see little point trying to glue them where they meet the deck as it is doubtful they would stick securely anyway.
So in my mind its better to have the deck waterproof and finished now.

Any advice to the contrary??

T33cno

« Reply #562 on: May 27, 2017, 08:37:20 pm »

This morning the mast was not even on my mind then this afternoon I noticed all the brass tubes I'd bought in a drawer. Most of it way oversize! Anyway one thing lead to another and it's underway

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #563 on: May 27, 2017, 09:16:38 pm »

I really admire your tenacity (and build skills) with getting accuracy with your build however I have got to ask are you going to use the boat for towing? or will it just be a show model.
    Please don't be offended by my question but I have to ask this because the rivet counters and " that's not how it was built" show people were my reason for stopping building model boats.
      No offence meant!
             Regards, Pete.

T33cno

« Reply #564 on: May 27, 2017, 09:22:11 pm »

Yes it's a working boat hence the working winch and beefed up gog.

I see no reason to not strive for as close a resemblance as possible
It takes no longer to do it right than about right

I build for me no one else and no offence taken :-))

T33cno

Re: MMM Portgarth build...... Styrene to GRP glue
« Reply #565 on: May 28, 2017, 11:25:08 pm »

I have decide to grind off the strake mouldings completely as they are not fit for purpose to attach the rubber fenders and are too long too.
I have bought [ section styrene that will accommodate 8mm round neoprene cord.
My problem was finding a suitable strong adhesive and my google searching has lead me to this
https://www.deluxematerials.co.uk/gb/rc-modelling/107-fusion-5060243900166.html

The fusion will also be used for the shelf like structures over the bow & stern fenders. I have 18mm neoprene for the fenders which is better than the 8mm gas pipe from MMM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121060637076?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=420119478283&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #566 on: May 29, 2017, 12:04:52 am »

Andy...on a different subject......you mentioned using a gasket for the main deck hatch, however only using petroleum jelly for the covers over the steering gear

The latter on a hot day will migrate away.......I know the yachters say it's fine....but considering the components that could be dampened, an alternate is available

Hylomar Universal Blue is an excellent gasket in a tube........$20.00 maybe....you could also use it for the main hatch......you won't regret it  :-))

Derek

PS some models also have a few small replaceable bags of Silica Gel installed in the hull.......[although primarily for locations with warmer temperatures with higher humidity]
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

T33cno

« Reply #567 on: May 29, 2017, 12:12:59 am »

Thank you Derek I will  :-))  the gasket on the main hatch is purely to bring the paxolin flush with the deck. In reality some water ingress is fine as nothing is placed where drips would be detrimental

tugnut

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #568 on: May 29, 2017, 07:47:59 am »

Yes it's a working boat hence the working winch and beefed up gog.

I see no reason to not strive for as close a resemblance as possible
It takes no longer to do it right than about right

I build for me no one else and no offence taken :-))   

O0 O0 O0 :-)) :-)) :-))

T33cno

« Reply #569 on: May 29, 2017, 01:32:35 pm »

I've made a start by filing off the starboard strakes. This leaves cavities that I have filled with 15 min resin. When hard and sanded it should leave a nice wide flat strip for the [ profile new strake runners. This also means I can fit the strakes to where they should actually start and end.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #570 on: May 29, 2017, 10:09:39 pm »

Ah !!  the fun part.  It's always nice to use filler and get a smooth surface.

One of my favourite parts.  It's looking better each time I see it.

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #571 on: May 30, 2017, 03:41:52 pm »

With regards to Hylomar gasket sealant. Have any of you used it?

- have on many engines in the 70'a & 80's. I can tell you its a brilliant sealant, but it is not re-sealable! Once you remove your plate, engine cover or whatever, it will need to be scraped off and re applied, it only semi cures in an engine environment so making it relatively easy to remove compared to the silicone variety's.

In short I wouldn't want or advise to use as a hatch sealant, it will cause more trouble than it is worth.

What you could do is lay a bead of kitchen/bathroom silicone around your opening, apply some veg oil to you hatch cover or wrap in cling film. Then lightly lay into place just enough to squash the sealant. Leave it for a day to set. Then remove the hatch, leave another couple of days to fully cure and you have a good watertight gasket that you can fasten your hatch down to with a couple of screws/bolts or whatever you are using.

T33cno

« Reply #572 on: May 30, 2017, 06:32:40 pm »

Thanks Ken

Hi Brian
My Kort hatches will never be removed unless there is a mechanical failure so Silicone makes more sense than vaseline of Hylomar.
My main hatch will initially be a self adhesive gasket which is 2mm expanded foam used for ductwork supports. If it won't compress to .5mm I'll have to try another option  :-))

This will be the replacement strake carrier. 8mm neoprene cord is on the way but may need 9mm yet.
Fusion adhesive is on the way too.

Unfortunately a holiday is looming so I'm not going to get anything done  :((

T33cno

« Reply #573 on: May 30, 2017, 06:46:07 pm »

Has anyone counted the rivets  {-)
Picture by Kevgarth

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 52   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.