Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Billings cux 87 krabbenkutter  (Read 10863 times)

Drydock2017

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Billings cux 87 krabbenkutter
« on: March 15, 2017, 03:33:47 pm »

Hi guys picked this billings kit up off eBay pretty cheap, dads built the Mary Ann in the past well two off them in total one when kit came out and one a few years ago Mary Ann would have been my choice but it seemed silly to get a boat that dads already got, one of the problems is he can't remember what prop shaft he's running in her and wondered if any one has built this kit and can advice me on what size to go for I'd prefer to go m4 just because I already have a brass prop perfect size for it,
I picked the kit up cheap off ebay a gentleman was selling her as unstarted and unwanted due to problems with his hands and not being able to build any more so I put a bid in and got it a lot cheaper than expected here's some pictures of the kit I haven't had chance to start it yet but I'm looking forward to cracking on with it 👍

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Re: Billings cux 87 krabbenkutter
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 06:55:26 am »

Looks like a decent kit, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun building it  :police:
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Drydock2017

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 02:11:08 pm »

Thank you currently in the middle off looking for a new job and a prop shaft so boat building and model making on hold until I can get both sorted, the problem is there's really not much room in the hull too play around with and I want a m4 shaft I need to sit down and work out a size really but I'm unsure of any company's that do decent custom shafts if any one can help it would be great full

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 03:09:22 pm »

Contact Simon Higins at Protean Design Propellers his contact details are on a post yesterday or just put
 protean design propellers in your search box.
Joe
Liverpool MBC Committee Member

Drydock2017

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 01:29:19 pm »

Hi again guys thought I'd fill you in with an update, things are a bit hectic at home due too getting a new job and now working 9-5 instead of shift work and also trying to get my head round the new company and different systems etc, I haven't really had time to look or do much with my trawler and with a two year old as well with free run of our flat it's not easy I spoke to my father and he's going to build the hull for me and plank it just purely because I don't want to say put in a load of time on the bulkheads etc and it being strapped to the building board at that stage to then come home from work and find little ones got hold of it so dads going to do this for me and then plank it so atleast at that stage I can put it up high so no little hands can get at it, dads already made a start on the keel for me that you will see in the picture, I plan on weathering this one like my puffer was I have a lot off ideas and new things I'd like to try out it should be a good build I will update you guys on the hull being built as and when dad sends them and moves on with the build

Drydock2017

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 07:27:50 pm »

Dads done a bit of work on the trawler couple of the bulkheads are in decks just been roughly placed on not stuck on he was having trouble with the bulk heads due to the kit being so old as soon as he was taking them out the sheet they were just showing signs of badly warped etc so he's had too steam them but he's doing a great job so far here's a few pics.

Drydock2017

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 07:19:26 pm »

Hi guys hope every one has had a good Easter my dad sent me this picture over today update on the trawler all bulk heads fitted and true and straight he was having a bit of trouble as the bulk head wood had bowed quite a bit but he steamed it and got it all sorted decks just fitted in place not glued yet next is getting the rudder installed and prop shaft and motor placement etc and then looking at where to cut the deck for opening etc he was explaining on the phone that he's going to trim back one or two of the bulk heads like he did with Mary Ann [/font]

Drydock2017

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 02:04:04 pm »

Prop shaft and brass prop fitted had to go for an m2 shaft I don't really like running them but m4 would have been too thick for the keel it's a bit of a tight squeeze as the boats not designed to be radio controlled it's meant to be static but it should be ok just the rudder to do then start the planking looking good so far[/font]

Drydock2017

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 06:02:11 pm »

Hi guys haven't been on for a while firstly wanted to say a massive thanks to Martin for mayhem this year and the other guys that help set it up me and dad had a fantastic time after being away from shows for a while.  It was nice to come back and be treated well especially meeting up with the old faces like klunk etc . Dad brought my grandfathers old boat out and had her on the lake still looks good in my opinion even for a model over 50 years old 👍
Any way  Update on fishing trawler motor fully fitted now with universal joint servo fitted now rudder shaped and dad made a metal joint to hold the rudder and keel in. Battery box made and also parts cut out for easy access to radio gear and battery etc, at the rear is going to be my first conversion from kit standard. It's supposed to be flat but I want a raised section to show storage and more detail will be added as build goes on the rudder head has been custome made by myself so I can run like a rc car set up for steering with a bar and plastic cups on the ends to just pop on ball connector's   First half strip planking has gone on to the hull coming along well,  still haven't made my mind up if it's going to be built as a drifter or a crabber or what yet sorry if pictures aren't great

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 07:12:32 pm »

There is a nice lot of modification and scratch building there  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 08:30:06 am »

Hi Drydock, I am enjoying the build.  I hope your new job suits OK.
I have an old Mary Anne kit started at home and was wondering about encouraging the ageing wood with steaming.  I do not think I shall use the old planking wood though.
I have seen a few really excellent ones at exhibitions and is one of their best.

The Cux 87 looks good as well.  Will your dad clamp the hull straight for the initial planking, as my Mary Anne  (not yet planked) is far from straight and stable?
On my models I also fit a screw on pintle base for the rudder, just in case, but have never had to remove one yet!
The Monoperm (super?) is going to give you more than enough power for this boat.
Look forward to more.
regards Roy

Drydock2017

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 04:39:18 pm »

Hi Roycv and ballastanksian thanks for your nice comments and the job is going well thank, I took over from Dad a while ago after he got all the bulk heads in and shaft and trued it all up etc I have started to find some time to get back in to building and I have some where safe to keep it now from little hands, yeah we have never had to remove one I just do it because that's the way my grandfather and father taught me, with our plank on frame builds we always have them screwed down while the bulkheads go in then when there in and supports are in and deck is fitted we remove it  and just plank, the cux is a bit different to the Mary Ann the Mary Ann is planked in each strip with out cutting on the cux it says to cut the strips in half seems the cux is slightly longer than mary Ann only slightly and obviously the cux hull is detailed differently we have tested the wood for planking and it seems ok so far the only thing so far I have changed is I'm not using the wood the mahogany coloured wood for decking and the cabin as I ordered a load of the same size and thickness birch wood as I'm going to be weathering the cux and I want to try a new technique with the decking and cladding, also steaming and soaking the wood in water we find works when planking and then glueing and pinning everyone has there own techniques tho, also I had to change the motor I was struggling to get the monoperm in so went for a small 400 motor, here's a picture off dads mary Ann at this years model boat mayhem

Drydock2017

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 12:05:43 pm »

More work done this week made big start on planking it's coming along ok so far when it's all planked I will rub it back fill areas with filler rub it back and then use some sander sealer enjoying it so far 👍

Drydock2017

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 08:13:14 pm »

Trying something a bit different as I said it's not going to be kit standard but thinking about adding a whale back still need to adjust the height tho and sort out correctly just playing around, one my old puffer figures 1/35 blokes that I brought and didn't use but correct scale for this boat too so I may look at getting some from the same company again, done quite a bit off planking now as u can see coming along I will update with more as and when the picture of the trawler is what I'm possibly aiming for when it's  finished but still haven't made my mind up yet

Drydock2017

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 03:38:31 pm »

Hi guys lots more planking done nearly finished planking her I'm looking for some reference books or pictures on different set ups for old trawlers if any one can help

Drydock2017

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2017, 08:32:00 pm »

More photos

Drydock2017

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 08:03:36 pm »

Hi guys so the trawlers coming along Its just a tad to hot to be modelling at the moment in my opinion lovely sailing weather tho so I'm just gathering a list off extras I would like but can any one advise others than the normal places like Cornwall model boats who have always been amazing and still are and macs mouldings any where I can get decent brass Deck fittings etc thanks in advance

Drydock2017

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2017, 12:48:00 pm »

All the planking pretty much done just few more bits to do then start rubbing back and filling in areas and then some sander sealer and undercoat upper whale back added but no sides yet got some new wood to do the planking of the deck and the cabin as I don't like the standard mahogany type it won't be very good for weathering it loads work to be done Still but it's getting there managed to get some good reference books and photos etc [/font]

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2017, 09:23:18 pm »

Hi, all looking good, may I suggest that you do not sand and then paint the deck.  Instead scrape it with a sharp blade and use thinned varnish put on with a pad of cloth wrapped around a finger.  It gives a much better finish.
regards Roy

Drydock2017

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 08:46:41 pm »

Hi thanks for the advice yeah with the kit your supposed to plank the deck with mahogany wood but I will be changing it and using birch plain wood and doing as u have advised and staining them in different grades of stain to make it look aged

Drydock2017

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 10:04:16 pm »

Hey guys All the top rails done now on the hull just the fun part off rubbing back and filling in areas 🙈 but started on the custom cabin there's a reference picture for what I'm thinking and how I'm going to do it hope u guys like I have cut the standard cabin about to convert it etc all needs cleaning up sorry about poor pictures and not much of an update

Drydock2017

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 10:07:36 pm »

Cabin

Drydock2017

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2017, 03:46:08 pm »

Sorry me posting again More work under way on the cabin conversion been cleaned up bit and side gone on won't look anything like kit standard only thing really standardish is the hull and that's been converted too lol 😂 the front cabin will be planked the back cabin will be steal so painted

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2017, 05:57:09 am »

Keep it up Drydock2017, lovin' it  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2017, 04:29:38 pm »

Amen. A Blog isn't a blog without updates. Small installments are good, you don't always get a response but you get lots of views from interested members and visitors  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 21 queries.