The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Submarines

Nixie

(1/12) > >>

GG:
After a gap of some 10 years I felt like building another RC submarine.  This time the aim was to create a simple design that did not require anything the average modeler might not have, material or skill wise.
The result is an admittedly rather "slab sided" hull but it seems to perform just as well as more rounded forms.  Construction is mainly plywood with some balsa for the extreme bow and stern areas.  The RC gear fits in a watertight box and the application of a bead of grease before securing a removable hatch keeps everything dry.
Being a dynamic diving type, forward motion driving it under the surface, only three RC functions are needed, rudder, hydroplane and motor.  When set up correctly it will cruise around at "periscope depth" (only the top section of the RX aerial being visible) in a most stable fashion.
By having two free-flooding compartments, the 25 inch (63 cm) long hull weighs a convenient 4 1/2 pounds (2 kg).
No problems so far except when I take my eyes away from the "periscope" it can be damn hard to find again.  Fortunately, stopping or reversing the motor has the model immediately resurfacing.
Plans just about to be sent off to the magazine "Model Boats".  Now to think about the next model as I sneak unobserved around the lake!
Glynn Guest
[size=78%] [/size]

Big Ada:
Will this be for 40megs or 2.4 Gig things?.

GG:
Big Ada,
        Anything but 2.4 GHz which has trouble passing through water.
GG

U-33:
Son of Spook, GG?

GG:
Rich,
         "Son of Spook" only in general appearance and operation.  Totally different construction.
GG

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version