Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Nixie  (Read 10596 times)

GG

• Full Mayhemer
Nixie
« on: March 16, 2017, 02:12:20 pm »

After a gap of some 10 years I felt like building another RC submarine.  This time the aim was to create a simple design that did not require anything the average modeler might not have, material or skill wise.
The result is an admittedly rather "slab sided" hull but it seems to perform just as well as more rounded forms.  Construction is mainly plywood with some balsa for the extreme bow and stern areas.  The RC gear fits in a watertight box and the application of a bead of grease before securing a removable hatch keeps everything dry.
Being a dynamic diving type, forward motion driving it under the surface, only three RC functions are needed, rudder, hydroplane and motor.  When set up correctly it will cruise around at "periscope depth" (only the top section of the RX aerial being visible) in a most stable fashion.
By having two free-flooding compartments, the 25 inch (63 cm) long hull weighs a convenient 4 1/2 pounds (2 kg).
No problems so far except when I take my eyes away from the "periscope" it can be damn hard to find again.  Fortunately, stopping or reversing the motor has the model immediately resurfacing.
Plans just about to be sent off to the magazine "Model Boats".  Now to think about the next model as I sneak unobserved around the lake!
Glynn Guest
[size=78%] [/size]

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Nixie
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 06:23:48 pm »

Will this be for 40megs or 2.4 Gig things?.

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 11:00:43 pm »

Big Ada,
        Anything but 2.4 GHz which has trouble passing through water.
GG

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 08:33:44 am »

Son of Spook, GG?
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 10:37:53 am »

Rich,
         "Son of Spook" only in general appearance and operation.  Totally different construction.
GG

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 11:53:01 am »

Hope you don't mind, Glynn...I've posted this on our Facebook sub group.
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

MartinL

• Full Mayhemer
  • Founder member Westham Ocean Racing Yacht Club
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 04:51:15 pm »

Having just built this little beast as my first ever sub I feel I must respond to this topic.
I built it as per plan but used any off cuts I had laying around in workshop so the sides are only 1mm ply and the wtc has a 5mm Perspex lid ( cut from an old printer hood).
Its maiden voyage brought lots of appreciative comments from club members but the little devil would not dive, other than backwards, needs more ballast was the result of much discussion.
The whole bottom was lined with a church roof and it was ready for its second outing (today).
Still it wouldn't dive but it was nearly there. Few bits of stick on lead were added and voila, it dives and potters along at periscope depth, still using 2.4 so dare not let it go any deeper.
This little sub has certainly got me and a few of my club mates interested in the whole sub culture so I must say a big thank you to Glynn and where can I get a 40 MHz radio?
I would add a photo but haven't figured out how to do it yet.
Thanks again Glynn.

salmon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 05:47:38 pm »

Congratulations Captain! It is a wonderful and unique slice of our RC world you jumped into! Glad you did.

If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Davy1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Association of Model Submariners
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 08:20:32 am »

Really nice to see!

Concerning the "church roof" - model subs always feel really heavy - they need to be about as dense as water!

To reduce the carrying weight you can use "Velcro"  (I use the self adhesive stuff) to fix sheet lead on the bottom of the model. It also lowers the centre of gravity, that way. It also means that you can move it fore and aft easily.

Happy sailing!

David

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 10:47:25 am »

Of all the different types of model plans published, Submarines give me the most worries.  Other types, no matter how badly built and outfitted, can usually be made to float and go but submarine models operate on the proverbial knife-edge between success and failure.  So, the smallest mistake when drawing up the plans and writing up the construction/operating notes for the magazine article could end up with streams of bubbles and complaints!

As for diving trim, these dynamic diving models have to have only a small amount of positive buoyancy.  I ballast them down until the deck is almost awash (see first photo in this thread).  This is sufficient for them to "pop up" to the surface when power is cut.   Astern is best reserved for emergency stops, the models usually being uncontrollable when moving backwards.

Of course the joy of operating RC submarines is reserved for those who did not discard their "old fashioned" 27 and 40 MHz gear in the rush to use 2.4 GHz!  The higher frequency radios might work if you can safely cruise around just submerged but dip too deep and.....?
So glad to hear of this success, any feed back is rare in this hobby (unless it's a complaint of course).
Glynn Guest 

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 09:29:55 pm »

I'm so pleased to see this thread, I started building Nixie 12 months ago, it was shelved for other "pressing" rc plane projects, and I started again last week. The plan is once running to turn the tower into a dorsal fin shape, as its intended to use with my Orca Jaws boat.

Please keep posting your progress, pictures and video would be appreciated
Paul

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2018, 02:51:20 pm »

What edition of Model Boats was this published in ?  Anybody got a buckshee copy with plan ?   Postage and small donation to a charity ?  I feel a Red November coming on :embarrassed:
..well can you land on this?

MartinL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2018, 02:48:05 pm »

It was in the October 2017 edition. Sorry not got spare because I'm building a slightly bigger version.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 01:15:04 pm »

Thanks Martin.  That was my idea too. I was thinking 25% bigger would be my choice.  Are you going to share a build with us ?

tony52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2018, 02:17:47 pm »

There is currently an October 2017 issue for sale on The Magazine exchange site

http://www.magazineexchange.co.uk/model-boats-magazine-october-2017-issue.html

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2018, 03:43:42 pm »

Thanks Tony, I  just bought it :-))   

MartinL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 05:01:06 pm »

I don't think my build would warrant inclusion in these hallowed pages, or to put it another way, I'm a bit of a bodger, more interested in it working rather than the way it looks.
I've got to get my head around putting pictures on the site, if I crack that obstacle then I may have a go.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2018, 06:28:08 pm »

I don't think my build would warrant inclusion in these hallowed pages, or to put it another way, I'm a bit of a bodger, more interested in it working rather than the way it looks.
I've got to get my head around putting pictures on the site, if I crack that obstacle then I may have a go.

Makes no difference we love to see pictures of anything model building related....

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2021, 10:17:34 pm »

Its time to finish what I started 3 years ago, so the bag of Nixie bits, and the magazine with the plans, are back out of the attic, and its back on the workshop bench

Anybody else built this and got it running? pics would be good!

Sven

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2021, 09:52:38 pm »

Hi ,

try  spook uboot on Goo...   and you will find a lot of pics.

According to this forum and otheers this boat is well known in the world, thanks to Glen.

b.r.  Sven

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2021, 11:56:20 am »

Some pictures I have of a modified one.

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2021, 11:38:46 am »

Have to admit it's nice to see that the "Spook" sub design has been successfully built by others.  There's always a worry that something important has been left out of the construction article/plan.

Have to admit that my favorite sub is the smaller Type XVII U-boat.  Current sat on a top shelf, only needing a recharge before sailing (whenever that might be possible?).

The latest sub design, based very loosely on the type 2 and 7 U-Boats, fortunately came through it's shake-down runs successfully before "lock-down".  The hull design is a simple free-flooding type with a central watertight compartment for the RC gear.  Construction mainly plywood and no elaborate workshop is needed, just the skill to cut accurately and make make sound glued joints.

Glynn Guest

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2021, 12:15:55 pm »

just the skill to cut accurately and make make sound glued joints.
Glynn Guest

Well that's me knackered then  {-) {-)

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2021, 09:52:05 pm »

and me :embarrassed: , my waterproof box is currently waiting for the resin to harden in the gaps! I just cant do wood, plastic, depron, metal, no issues, but wood, just cant get on with the stuff

GG, that smaller sub would be ideal, as I only want an rc dorsal fin to accompany my Orca (jaws) boat, before I go much further with Nixie (all parts are cut out, and the box is built) is it just a scale down ?

thanks

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2021, 10:03:23 pm »

I always regarded the people that had mastered RC Submarines as having some sort of mythical superpower, having conquered the dark art of sinking an rc model, and retrieving it, with a degree of control and direction. The models are stunning, and my wishlist would be nautilus, flying sub (and it would have to fly as well as submerge) stingray, probably in that order, then a large U Boat.

So way down in the list of scale representations, comes my wish for a rc dorsal fin, its as simple as that, it must go left and right, dive, maintaining fin under water, and surface run. I've attempted this many times, and its the one thing that keeps beating me. The last attempt was a model supplier going back a couple of years who marketed a small simple submarine. Unfortunately no evidence of success could be found, and my attempt was also a failure, then Nixie appeared! so lets hope this is more successful.

The last attempt had been in the loft for a few years, so today it was rescued, I have a 40meg tx and rx, receiver, small brushed motor, some micro servos, a selection of pushrods etc, enough to pretty much complete the running gear, only thing missing is a brushed motor esc.

I'm a bit embarrassed posting in this thread, my feeble attempts to join the rc submariner Gods, but when posting a build, it keeps me interested, as I have a very short attention span when building things

If anyone can offer advise along the way, please chip in!

So tonight made a motor mount from some scrap aluminium, laid out the propshaft, and used resin to fill the gaps from my poor wood cutting skills. The propshaft wasn't level, the mount was a few millimetres high, so I enlarged the hope in the stern of the watertight(we hope!) box, and will epoxy a plate on the inside holding the shaft level
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.