Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Glue etc.

Styrene to styrene

<< < (2/3) > >>

Tug Fanatic:

--- Quote from: CGAux26 on March 22, 2017, 04:45:57 pm ---Straight MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone).  Buy it at a hardware store in the paint department.  Comes in quarts in the US for about $8.  A lifetime supply for a model builder.  Tape the parts together in perfect alignment, then run a narrow bead of MEK down the seam with a small brush.  It bonds in seconds, and stays strong for years.

--- End quote ---

I am not aware that paint departments sell it in the UK. What, in connection with paint departments, is it used for?

CGAux26:
MEK is a solvent for some kinds of paint.  I'm not sure which ones-I never used it for that. 

CGAux26:
Well Fanatic, you made me curious.  Here's a link that explains MEK/Butadone more.  Note the heading "Application."   :-)

In the oil refinery where I was an engineer MEK was used to dewax lubricating oil, in its manufacturing process.

Tug Fanatic:
Thanks for the information but I think that you forgot the link. I have read the Wikipedia article & I am surprised that hardware store paint departments sell it.  I think that you have much more adventurous paint departments than we do.

ballastanksian:
Plastic weld and an identical product made by Deluxe materials is available from many model shops and Squires sell it as well as MEKPAK (They used to) which was M.E.K but is now more like Dichloromethane that Plastic weld is made from.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version