Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wheeler Dealers  (Read 5767 times)

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Wheeler Dealers
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2017, 06:32:01 pm »

Hello,

I should have said, it was NOT an old or a Classic car, it was a modern streamlined one !.
The shock absorber, and the suspension arms were still attached to the wheel.
BUT, they were NOT attached to the Car !!!.
John.  :((

all I can say about that then john is........he probably didn't have a current mot and probably no insurance either, because normally a well kept car is cared for and a cared for car usually has a caring owner who pays for insurance. I would have called the police and reported it as an unsafe car on the highway...stand no nonsense with such drivers at all......a real danger to everyone else. obviously it hadn't been checked for a while.

as you say it could have happened on the motorway with catastrophic results for other motorists.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2017, 07:43:10 pm »

unfortunately many drivers nowadays are totally ignorant about their cars, they dont even look at the tyres to see they are inflated, let alone check the oil or water. everyone at work were dumbfounded this week at work, when after failing my MOT on monday due to a worn ball joint (18 year old car 187,000 miles)  I ordered the part (new control arm) on next day delivery, fitted it in my lunch break, and put the car back in and got my pass, before the old mot ran out, and for only £63. plus I am the one who has a tyre pump in the boot of the car- plus I am the one that usually tells them their tyres are low in the first place.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2017, 07:48:04 pm »

You're not alone Grendel

I keep a toolkit, pump, two spare wheels and a trenching tool incase of snow!
I believe in being prepared and have often changed tyres during a snow storm at night we had several years in preparation for traveling home the next day.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2017, 07:51:27 pm »

I am just about considering lightening the load in the boot by taking out the snow chains and shovel :-)

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2017, 09:38:37 pm »

I am just about considering lightening the load in the boot by taking out the snow chains and shovel :-)

I'd just stay at home with a bottle of Pussers, if the snow got that bad, lol.

Jim.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2017, 08:45:58 am »

I heard on the radio that the weather was turning bad and I should make sure I was properly equipped, even for the trip to work.  So I got snow chains and a can of petrol,  flashlights, a fresh supply of batteries, blankets, matches, extra clothes, bottled water, and non-perishable snacks, a small stove and fuel and a snow shovel...

I looked a right twit on the bus!
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2017, 09:15:55 am »

I heard on the radio that the weather was turning bad and I should make sure I was properly equipped, even for the trip to work.  So I got snow chains and a can of petrol,  flashlights, a fresh supply of batteries, blankets, matches, extra clothes, bottled water, and non-perishable snacks, a small stove and fuel and a snow shovel...

I looked a right twit on the bus!

{-) {-) {-)

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2017, 08:02:33 pm »

When my son worked for C***ys ( well known UK electrical retailer) he always said that he could tell who the old timers were 'cos they carried a tartan rug and a foot pump in the car boot... %)

Dave
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2017, 08:37:32 pm »

If production has gone to the US it will very soon become a soap with cars in there somewhere and fake drama everywhere.  Since I gave up on Sky, I'm not really bothered.
Different program, but the opening to "Chasing Classic Cars" always broke me up.  "Hi, I'm Wayne Carrini. I chase classic cars."  My neighbour had a dog that would do that.  Any cars, really.  The fact that intentionally or not, he did a cracking impression of Tex Avery's Droopy Dog character, is neither here nor there.

Give Wayne a Stetson and he would be Yosemite Sam to the life! :-))

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2017, 10:50:57 pm »

the problem is, and unless you are into the classic car scene in this country, the MOT TEST and Certificate was abandoned on pre 1960 cars by the DOT  in 2012, and so, there are a lot of old "classics" on the road these days that shouldn't be.

the majority of classic car owners look after their cars and a good proportion of those have the ways, means and money to have their vehicles checked for fatigue and  wear and tear regularly.....but others don't, and sadly I believe that this lack of official mot is now on a rolling scheme as was the road fund license for vehicles over 25 years for some time.
Jim.

Yes it's called an MOT test.  While you don't have to have them for cars in the exemption, there is no reason that you can't have the car tested and many owners still do, for their own peace of mind.

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2017, 10:56:10 pm »

Yes it's called an MOT test.  While you don't have to have them for cars in the exemption, there is no reason that you can't have the car tested and many owners still do, for their own peace of mind.
I'm told a lot of insurance companies require it any way.
Jim

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2017, 08:29:44 am »

Back in the late 1960's when I was a Copper in London, I saw many horrendous crashes caused by lack of maintenance. As a lot of Forum readers of my generation would attest, when we started driving we had to get to know how our cars worked and how to service them because we couldn't afford to pay for general servicing. I'm afraid this is not true anymore. When I see 'Boy racers' tearing around at speed and throwing their vehicles around, jerking the steering and slamming on the brakes, coupled with tyres screeching etc. I reminds me of some of the crashes from my Police career times.

One classic incident involved the young driver of an Austin Westminster, a highly regarded car of the time and quite a heavily built one, unlike the cheap imports we get today. This guy decided to turn left at speed before going down the wrong road. He yanked the steering hard over and the whole front wheel assembly, brakes, steering arms and shock absorbers came off as one piece, being held to the chassis on a 1/4 inch thick square plate and 4 quite small studs. The front of the car dug into the road surface flipping the car upside down, where he promptly scalped himself on the edge of the sun roof. Remember..no seat belts or air bags at that time. (He was OK after about 6 months!!)

If some drivers knew just how flimsy some parts of a car really are they would take more care.

Getting back to Wheeler Dealers, I used to enjoy the program as that is the type of thing I did with my own cars, but I do get a little heated when the car is sold off for little more than the overall bill. Do away with the buying and selling and all that rubbish and let Ed...and his team...just explain to the younger generation how to repair and maintain their cars..... and keep death off the road.

By the way...anybody got a spare Mercedes Diagnostic computer and cards for a 220 E estate going cheap!!!

Ron.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.