Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: U.S.S. Watters DD-115 Static Build Scale 1/350  (Read 4928 times)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
Re: U.S.S. Watters DD-115 Static Build Scale 1/350
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2017, 09:29:01 pm »

Gentlemen, this model is finished.  All I have to do is have a name plate made and mount inside the case.  It will then be shipped to my friend.  Its been a fun project and I kinda like the scale... although a bit on the small side, it may not be too bad for size.  Am now moving back to my Arizona build to finish rigging her and complete that build.  Regards,  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2017, 09:29:43 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2017, 09:30:11 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2017, 09:31:19 pm »

more.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2017, 09:41:16 pm »

How are you shipping her to your frend Dennis? I do hope that the courier (if you are using one) is well insured or offers a reasonable cover for damages etc, as I would hate to hear that your work had been used for sports or even driven over accidently.

She looks splendid Dennis.
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2017, 10:07:47 pm »

Oh believe me, I am taking cosiderable risk.  I have had success shipping a small model in this type of case to my daughter successfully.  The case is wood and plexi.  the model is secured well with very strong metal pins, plus the rigging helps alot from any jarring.  I will wrap the case in several layers of bubble wrap and then pack that in a strong box with styrofoam "peanuts".  Then, I will insure the heck out of it.  I'm sure the carrier takes great joy in seeing if they can break anything that is fragile. Only other way if for my friend (who is over 80 yrs old) drive 1000 miles to pick the model up.  I could be wrong here, but the physics for a small model like this and the over-all light weight, tends to have less enertia dynamics, relative to shearing aspects etc. (I flunked physics in school).  Of course, I believe in the power of prayer.  Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2017, 08:25:26 pm »

Hey Dennis, how did your delivery go? Was your friend pleased with his excellent model that you made for him?

Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2017, 10:11:25 pm »

Model is in transit as we speak.  I paid $100 for shipping.  The fella that did the packing was used to this kind of thing.  He did a double box within a box, with bubble wrap and peanuts.  I insured the heck out of it.  Should have an answer for you by Tuesday of next week.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2017, 08:48:38 pm »

For those that are curious, the model arrived at its destination (over 1,000 miles away) in perfect condition.  New owner is very, very pleased and grateful and so am I.  Hats off to FedEx and the local packer for making it all happen.  Dennis

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2017, 09:48:20 pm »

Well, that IS good news Dennis. After all the effort you put into the project it's good to hear of a most satisfactory outcome. So, well done to you and full marks to your courier. :-)) :-))

Regards,

Ray.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2017, 10:44:27 pm »

I am so very pleased to hear this Dennis. We have read on this very forum of the heart breaking damage casued to models by their transportation. Your efforts and expense on the packing was well spent.

Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2017, 01:20:17 am »

Yes indeed.... I was taking a real risk, but it was the only way to go.  I think what saved me was the small size and very good packing.  Would not recommend it for something in the 3ft range.  I sold a model of the Flying Cloud (clipper ship)  a number of years ago.  I had placed it in an art gallery and it sold for a ton of money.  The buyer hired a shipping company who came and crated the model, in its case with specail shock absorbsion, etc.  Cost him several thousand dollars as it went from the West coast (US) to East coast (US).  Model itself was 4ft long and I had used very fine chain (30 links per inch) for some of the rigging and a couple of those chain had parted during the trip.  He had to hire a model maker to come in and repair the damage. That was probably an extreme example, but I do wonder how models are shipped all over the world, all the time.  Summer is almost here... I'll be taking my 15ft sailboat I built out for a sail on the lake this weekend.  One last time before I sell her.
Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2017, 10:20:03 pm »

I was expecting to read that the clipper suffered much worse damage but good to hear the damage was minimal.

To be honest, the fact that most model ships for sale are collection only has saved me many hndreds of pounds!

Enjoy your last sail Dennis and go safe.
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.