Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ESC'S  (Read 2652 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
ESC'S
« on: April 03, 2017, 06:56:06 pm »

I don't want to duplicate myself so I've put this here.

What is the smallest possible esc on the market, it can be brushed or brushless, the motor isn't chosen yet, however I'm tending toward brushless for the power/tiny size. The battery, esc, motor and receiver need to be tiny enough to fit into an 200mm length hull, this is a daughterboat to my other in-progress build. I'm anticipating tiny motor as the prop is only going to be around 10mm in diameter

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: ESC'S
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 08:05:06 pm »

You should be looking at motors and escs used for micro indoor flight. They tend to be brushed but some brushless are available.
http://www.servoshop.co.uk/index.php?pid=EMAXHS3&area=ESC is an example for a one cell lipo.
Modt small indoor motors and esc tend to be for one cell lipo.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 07:21:58 am »

Brian

These are the electronics in the Speedline mini Huntsman. All from HobbyKing. Alternatively there are usually some brushed 10 amp ESC on eBay which are about 1 inch square, but I can't find any at the moment.

Barrie

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 08:36:27 am »

The next issue of Model Boats has an article on using the control board from a continuous rotation servo (about 12mm square and weighing less than a gram) to power the Revell Lucky XI tug

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 09:11:48 am »

A servo motor with its board is pretty small and probably good for an 8" hull.  Certainly worked for my Lindberg conversions.  Never tried stripping a mini servo down.  The servo board lacks deadband, so stopping is finicky. 
The Chinese 10A ESC works well - http://www.banggood.com/10A-ESC-Brushed-Speed-Controller-For-RC-Car-And-Boat-Without-Brake-p-966363.html?rmmds=search - with the usual caveat about Chinese Amps.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 09:33:00 am »

Hi
I found this one 80 or 150 rpm motor 6v(2S) ESC has lights also!!!

Hope you have good eye sight.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/2-in-1-2s-lipo-esc-w-led-light-set-oh35p01-1-35-rock-crawler-kit.html

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 10:20:47 am »

The servo board lacks deadband, so stopping is finicky. 

The deadband for the Feetech FS90R CRS featured in the MB article has a much larger value than a traditional servo solving this problem

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 03:10:31 pm »

The deadband for the Feetech FS90R CRS featured in the MB article has a much larger value than a traditional servo solving this problem
I was talking about generic servos that were designed as devices to take up a new position on demand, rather than what is basically a mini winch servo.  If the eyesight is good enough and the soldering iron pointy enough, that one does seem like a promising device.  When mis-using a modified servo, I have always used a servo motor, or something very close in spec, regarding that as a safe option.  I wonder what the Feetech FS90R CRS board can handle.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 05:20:34 pm »

Thank you all for your suggestions, certainly some good info to digest and follow up on.

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 05:34:52 pm »

Another option is where the ESC is incorporated into the Rx board.  I covered this with the recent MB article on converting the Airfix Vosper to RC - total weight of micro servo, Rx/ESC , 250 mAh Lipo and Parkzone geared motor was 17 grams.  See http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/rx_dt_land_r6.html for more info.

I can fully recommend Micron
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 22 queries.