Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: boat stands  (Read 5744 times)

pete_486

boat stands
« on: August 30, 2007, 08:34:02 pm »

what boat stands do you all use, post some pics and plans for a wooden which is the way im gonna go i think, im sick of the plastic overflow fittings breaking and coming apart..........Pete

slewis

Re: boat stands
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 08:47:01 pm »

I made this out of some MDF and covered the edges with some styrofoam
Took about 45 mins to make . I used the blanks from 2 of the frames to cut the shape right for the hull  O0
The parts just slot together although I have glued them now  ;)

Shane

tmbc

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 10:01:50 pm »

pete
 the overflow fiitings need glueing with a solvent from the plumbers merchants they dont come apart then m8

pete_486

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 01:12:02 pm »

i did glue them with solvent glue but both of them still shattered.
nice stand Shane, thats the very thing i meant..............Pete

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 01:59:01 pm »

I use one of these kids folding wastepaper/toy bins.
 I think you will find this sort of thing in the cheap shops on the High St.

I used pieces of foam cut from a kip mat (sleeping mat) to cusion the sides.

The bin is deep enough to allow for the sailing keel. When the boat is in the water I use the bin to stash my bag, water bottle and other loose bits.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

pete_486

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 05:17:25 pm »

thats a good idea too TigerTiger but my stand will have to withstand starting my 57" makara with a 27cc Sikk in it...........Pete

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 07:22:08 pm »

I saw some interesting stands for IOM yachts in Milton Keynes that folded in different ways to either have the yacht in the usual upright position, or lying at an angle should the wind be too strong or to set the sails. As usual I didn't have a camera with me and my leaky brain has long since forgotten the construction. Anybody up that neck of the woods with some pictures they could post, please  ::)

MikeK

omra85

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 10:58:11 pm »

Hi Mike
No pics I'm afraid,but the cross leg wood ones have been used for ages for yachts.
The top is two strips of canvas and the legs can be set to give the required "bend" under the hull.
The cross brace can be fitted so that, if the keel is placed OVER it, the boat lays at an angle.  This can be varied to taste.
Simple but effective.
Excuse the rubbish sketch but might be worth money as "art" one day (hopefully AFTER I've died - I couldn't stand the embarrasement (sp))
Danny

AC RAZOR 45

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 11:38:29 pm »

pete
 the overflow fiitings need glueing with a solvent from the plumbers merchants they dont come apart then m8
[/quote
HI MARK NICE TO SEE YOU ON HERE WELCOME, MINE WAS GLUE AND IT SHATTERED AS PETE WAS TRYING TO START MY BOAT,SORRY YOU CANT MAKE IT SUNDAY....ALAN

edible_engine

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 04:34:55 pm »

make one out of copper pipeing the same as you did with plastic if you dont have a blowtorch ther is a product called copper weld its a glue made for joining copper pipes

i made one it outlasted the boat

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 04:39:02 pm »

or if you are building it to display...

try something like this.
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 05:08:19 pm »

Hi Mike
No pics I'm afraid,but the cross leg wood ones have been used for ages for yachts.
The top is two strips of canvas and the legs can be set to give the required "bend" under the hull.
The cross brace can be fitted so that, if the keel is placed OVER it, the boat lays at an angle.  This can be varied to taste.
Simple but effective.
Excuse the rubbish sketch but might be worth money as "art" one day (hopefully AFTER I've died - I couldn't stand the embarrasement (sp))
Danny

Thanks for that Danny - you can do a better job drawing with the mouse than I can  O0 . The type you sketched is the one I use already. The one at Milton Keynes club has a complicated crutch shape that, with the use of different folding arms, allows the yacht to be upright or at an angle of about 30deg to the horizontal. Looks like nobody from 2 Islands club reads the forum so I'll have to wait until my next visit - armed with a camera this time !
Cheers
MikeK
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.