Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Ocean  (Read 7677 times)

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Ocean
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2017, 09:59:50 pm »

Bob Blease could tell the story better, but I seem to remember him telling me he went to a meeting in Bath over engine spares for the TUT's and the MEO for Ocean was there with the same problem. That was the lead in time for spare heads etc. Because the German owners/engine builders did not keep spares and the lead in period for new heads etc was many weeks, which caused headaches for maintenance and repairs, plus the MoD stopped keeping B type spares because of storage costs and sent a lot of stores for scrap because a private business man brought in to help lower costs recommended these measures, dare say Bob will give a more inform view on this.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2017, 09:14:20 am »

Dodes is correct.
The MoD decided to go for what they called "Type C Support".
The theory was that manufacturers held sufficient stock or could manufacture in a short time so that no great stocks were required to be held by MoD.
This had the effect of closing 2 massive stores complexes and saving many millions of pounds.
Unfortunately successive economic recessions have severely reduced the manufacturer stock holdings.
Some spares can be like hens teeth.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2017, 12:52:22 pm »

Oh my S reg Mazda still runs - is well looked after, though as with Ocean - spares are getting harder to find for those special parts  {-) just like its owner still hanging on
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2017, 12:57:07 pm »

But not quite so many cylinder heads!!!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2017, 01:03:34 pm »

true - and not as heavy either, I have seen it removed and the tops of the pistons - not flat as expected but have a designed bowl shape probably to aid in flow characteristics (she shed a belt and stalled at lights, so was pushed down a side street and recovered to the garage the same day - was told I had luckily avoided more damage being at the lights and it was salvageable - if I had been moving it would have been a scrapper).
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

tugmad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2017, 01:49:42 pm »

Well it's on again this evening so stand by all for the next near disaster.👍👍👍

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2017, 08:48:29 pm »

Getting back to the original thread met a friend of mine today who is a retired commander E (R N), spoke to him about this programme and his comments were the same as the professional merchant engineers, should have been a straight forward 12 hour max job and in the end could hardly bear to look at the TV.

tugmad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2017, 09:03:34 pm »

Yes definitely a bit of TV sensationalism Dodes. <*< >>:-(

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2017, 04:35:55 pm »

The bit about filmed for the media also goes into the voice of the commentator.. During the Ark Royal series there was a leak in one of the heads, plenty of water sloshing about, but in a very low serious voice the commentary was something like "if whiskey walker cant find this leak and the water keeps flooding in, Ark Royal could be in serious danger of sinking !!!!"  very funny
I will finish this model

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2017, 08:47:14 am »

One point not covered here is the assertion by the commentator that there was little or no experience among the engineers present of changing a cylinder head. If correct, this is a sad commentary on the state of RN engineering skills.
Routinely changing a head for overhaul (and much bigger ones than the tiddly wee Pielstick shown) was part and parcel of life aboard a MN motorship and performed in a fraction of the time quoted, by engineers familiar with the process.  Perhaps those on Ocean just need some practice?
Barry M
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.