Mess Deck: General Section > Tugs and Towing

Tug Towing Courses & Rules and R/C Scale Steering

(1/17) > >>

destroyer42:
Hi All,
our local club is looking to re-introduce tug towing, what are the rules that clubs use?
Also steering courses do clubs set out their courses to accommodate all sizes of models as currently some of our members feel that they would like to have a go and it's something that needs up grading and made more fun as some members feel intimidated by the more experienced members around a steering course.
I for one would like to see a steering course laid out to accommodate all sizes of model and maybe a penalty put against those models which are small, or have bow thrusters, steerable kort nozzles etc. which are not on the real model.
What's you views and how does your club carry out tug towing and steering courses?

Destroyer42

Colin Bishop:
Glynn Guest, Andy Cope and I have been trying to stimulate some discussion about this on the new MPBA website forum, without much success at the moment but you can read it here: http://www.mpba.org.uk/community/main-forum/your-mpba/paged/1/

Andy has also published a link to the steering courses used by the Southend club which has a good selection of workable layouts here:
http://www.smpbc.co.uk/2015-scale-series.html

I think it would be good to see more scale steering events, they need not be particularly competitive but there is much satisfaction in putting your boat through its paces in a way that exercises your handling skills rather than just swanning around the lake in rather aimless circles! Scale steering used to be a thriving competitive scene and while I think a lot of people are no longer into intense competition, that doesn't mean that a lot of fun could not be had from a more relaxed regime with just friendly rivalry.

I don't know much about tug towing myself but no doubt someone will be able to supply information. It is another area where ship handling skills can be demonstrated on a team basis and means you can actually use your model tug in a similar way to the full size prototype which has to be a good thing.

Glynn and I would like to see the MPBA sponsor a good open steering event somewhere reasonably central to attract as many people as possible. Realistically it would need to be hosted by an existing club which has a readymade set of hazards and obstacles and the organisation to stage it.

Colin

Pirate:
Hi, I am the competition secretary for (Lincoln) 'Hartsholme Electric MBC'.
    We have been doing steering courses for 35 years and tug towing for the past 5 in seriousness. Our rules are the same for any competition, Penalties are given as ; 10 points for a wrong course deliberate or otherwise, 2 points for every touch/scrape against an object in the course either by the tug or tow (vessel), 3 attempts at any particular part of a course such as the touching of a bell buoy or attempt at docking betwixt two fixed points (thus failure after 3 attempts incurs a 10 point penalty). We have found that for scale steering events a minimum length of vessel of 21" is applicable and within tug tow a contestant may use whatever he deems fit (as it is by experience that no particular drive system is superior to another when it comes down to the pressures of guiding a barge/s through a challenging course!!) All objects are of uniform distance apart (1 yrd/m) making gates to steer through. The courses are diagrammed in colour and set out as near to the map as is possible. Start and finish gates are designated by red and green bouys (Port and starboard). A demonstration run is verbally given or even shown by the secretary so as all competitors have no excuse. Although good humour and discretion rule the day. If you would like any further details, I am more than happy to share photos of objects, courses etc

Good luck to you all
Pirate

Martin (Admin):

Topic renamed on request....

Butts:
At Balne Moor MBC we have operated tug competitions for many years.  Our rules have been posed on this Forum before.
I've tried to put them as an attachment to this post, but the file size is currently too big.

I'll persevere and find a way to post them again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version