Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tug Towing Courses & Rules and R/C Scale Steering  (Read 24693 times)

Butts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Secretary, Balne Moor Model Boat Club
    • http://balne-moor-model-boat-club.myfreesites.net/
Re: Tug Towing Courses & Rules and R/C Scale Steering
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2017, 10:26:40 am »

I would endorse your view of what is acceptable/permissible. 

You could argue that what is below the water is open to your own interpretation.

At Balne Moor the default scale tends to be 1/32, but only because it is more robust and things are less likely to get broken.  Many in reality are 'stand off" scale.  Things do get broken when you tow.

Most of our tugs have bow thrusters etc even if the real subject does not.  We have tugs which are built as pure towing machines and others which are finer scale, it's up to you.

The thing is to enjoy it :}  however you configure it!

Yoshic48

• Retired
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2017, 10:05:11 pm »

I would endorse your view of what is acceptable/permissible. 

You could argue that what is below the water is open to your own interpretation.

At Balne Moor the default scale tends to be 1/32, but only because it is more robust and things are less likely to get broken.  Many in reality are 'stand off" scale.  Things do get broken when you tow.

Most of our tugs have bow thrusters etc even if the real subject does not.  We have tugs which are built as pure towing machines and others which are finer scale, it's up to you.

The thing is to enjoy it :}  however you configure it!
Thanks for your reply as you may realize I am up to my neck in it at the moment trying to get it all in my head before I actually saw or drill anything?? I have got most all I need but trying to get a good battery at a reasonable price ?? No luck but seen a 12v 22ahs but maybe just to big doing mock up you know the stuff (measure 3 or 4 or 5 ?times then forget what you are doing?? Ill say this (WHEN) it is built if every thing goes ok I may come over to your place for a look round? Thanks

Yoshic48

• Retired
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2017, 10:30:53 pm »

Hi  These are the rules we tow by.

John
excuse Me I don't see anywhere about (One) Tug?? so I can't enter if I am on my own??  with the only Tug I have??

Butts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2017, 08:55:59 am »

You'd be very welcome to come anytime and have a look at what we do. 

We have three tug towing competitions later in the year in August, September and October (details on our website - link below). There will be tugs to borrow if you've  not got yours ready.  The August one is less competitive, though non are taken too seriously.

The second of those events has sections for 1, 2 and 3 tugs. What happens though is that you compete as part of a team of three.

The teams are agreed on the day and you'd be paired with more experienced tuggers.

I get my batteries from Component shop my largest tug has two batteries fitted a 12x20 and a 12x10.  They make great ballast.

Yoshic48

• Retired
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2017, 01:17:13 pm »

We have three tug towing competitions later in the year in August, September and October (details on our website - link below). There will be tugs to borrow if you've  not got yours ready.  The August one is less competitive, though non are taken too seriously.

The second of those events has sections for 1, 2 and 3 tugs. What happens though is that you compete as part of a team of three.

Tanks for the update and (yes ) is the short answer I will look you out not sure about August though? batteries I think I may have some hopefully run 2 ? 12v x 15Amh each and maybe run a  6v x ? forgot the amps for the min? both lead acid sealed the 6v for bow thruster and  rudder servo? and even reciver? brother is (A sparks) old but knows his stuff so he will do drawings for wires? The sise of batteries (were) a problem Its a Mine Field out there but like The sealed ones and for amps Thanks (Yoshic48) Tag but Roy is mine.

The teams are agreed on the day and you'd be paired with more experienced tuggers.

I get my batteries from Component shop my largest tug has two batteries fitted a 12x20 and a 12x10.  They make great ballast.

Formatting re-arranged

ken

Yoshic48

• Retired
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2017, 10:19:11 am »

Hi (Butts) the batteries have you got there size the ones I am looking at are 151mm X 98mm X 96mm if possible I could do with slightly smaller with higher amp hrs any help would be great?

Butts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2017, 02:51:50 pm »

If you check out Component Shop's website there is a 12vx12ah battery which is almost exactly the dimensions
you quote.  I note though that it is currently out of stock.

Yoshic48

• Retired
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2017, 02:22:07 pm »

If you check out Component Shop's website there is a 12vx12ah battery which is almost exactly the dimensions
you quote.  I note though that it is currently out of stock.
Thank you for all your help best use the time to Build?? and look forwards to meeting you in the future Roy

Butts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2017, 08:27:06 am »

No problem, just remember to enjoy the build :}
Look forward to seeing it perform at Balne Moor :-)) .

Michael

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2017, 10:58:58 pm »

Hi Roy regarding batteries I use 2x 12v 12amp batts in my Afon  hull which runs 70mm lost props powered by some very powerful motors the tug will tow any ship round all day without changing the batteries another supply for the batts are alarm wholesalers worth a look if you struggle to find some pm me as I used to work at a wholesalers and can get batts still

Yoshic48

• Retired
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2017, 11:42:31 am »

Hi I am building a Tug 1/48 scale the question is because I want to (Tow) and also maybe in completion Towing, I want my Tug to resemble on the outside as close to (Scale as Possible) but I want to fit (What ever I want to as a drive system as Motor size and Prop size and bow thrusters if I wish) electric of course powered with Maximum 12volts system. So a simple way of looking at this is eg: A driving test to gain a licence in a car? IS a test of (SKILL and Knowledge) No matter the Make of (CAR) (Truck in HGVs) or (Buses) or even (Trains) and Boats or (Tanks) RC Models ( Sails? Battle ships, Tugs, all manner ) should be able to participate even (NON Scale with crazy designs Race ) So That will be my approach on this build (Rope sizes) are open for discussion as yet I have not found any information only up to the competitor? Thank You for this thread hopefully I will keep an eye on it and look forwards to Finishing my (TUG)
Well I did have a leak but fixed now still doing electric Tested and ok but working out for (extras) but should be moving on now with deck work ?? And Yes I was about 4.5 kls over weight??  looking for good (Loud) Horn?? I did see one member on here has them but don't know who any Ideas would be welcome?

Yoshic48

• Retired
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2017, 11:45:56 am »

No problem, just remember to enjoy the build :}
Look forward to seeing it perform at Balne Moor :-)) .

Michael
By the way I may change the colours of my model and name I hope that does not bother anyone??

Yoshic48

• Retired
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2017, 01:55:40 pm »

Hi I am building a Tug 1/48 scale the question is because I want to (Tow) and also maybe in completion Towing, I want my Tug to resemble on the outside as close to (Scale as Possible) but I want to fit (What ever I want to as a drive system as Motor size and Prop size and bow thrusters if I wish) electric of course powered with Maximum 12volts system. So a simple way of looking at this is eg: A driving test to gain a licence in a car? IS a test of (SKILL and Knowledge) No matter the Make of (CAR) (Truck in HGVs) or (Buses) or even (Trains) and Boats or (Tanks) RC Models ( Sails? Battle ships, Tugs, all manner ) should be able to participate even (NON Scale with crazy designs Race ) So That will be my approach on this build (Rope sizes) are open for discussion as yet I have not found any information only up to the competitor? Thank You for this thread hopefully I will keep an eye on it and look forwards to Finishing my (TUG)
          Any help on how to ballast a vessel to be (towed by Tugs) of different sizes of tugs (Scale ) 1/48 , 1/32 scale 1/72 scale is it the how big inches and how much ballast in grams or kg?? I am puzzled as Actually (The Yorkshire man ) Tug 1/48 scale = beam 9" and 34" Long is not technically correct? the real tug is 24mt long and 9 metre wide so the model is incorrect??so I need the weight for towing a barge? I do know that models have the waves are possible not to scale?

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2017, 04:23:08 pm »

Take some empty Plastic Milk Bottles with you, and fill them from the Pond, then after use return water to the Pond.

Len.

Butts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2017, 07:33:37 pm »

Yes, that is one way we use to ballast tows at Balne Moor.

We used to have the "St George" at our pond a 1/32 scale SD14 cargo ship.  That's a big model and a lot of ballast!

Another of our tows has a valve system which allows it to take on water as it settles on the pond. 

The third has on board electric pumps which flood the hull after it is put in the water. 

Depending on how "to scale" you want to be, you do not want to be handling a tow when it is ballasted.  We have a heavy tow boat launch to avoid members being projected into the pond.  :embarrassed:

mikromodell

• Full Mayhemer
  • On Facebook: Harry Jörg
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2018, 04:56:10 pm »

Hi Butts,
last year I looked the movies on YT where tug towing in Balne Moor is showed. Very impressive, I like tug towing with models! I miss new movies, the newest I found are a couple of years old. Can I find new ones anywhere?
Regards
Harry

The picture shows a salvage of a grounded container vessel...
Airfix Severn Class Lifeboat R/C converted - YT movie of the maiden journey in Miniatur Wunderland Hamburg: https://youtu.be/Dcjz5HToQ7M

Butts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2018, 07:14:55 pm »

.Hello Harry,

No, unfortunately I do not think there have been any recent videos of tugs towing at Balne Moor.

We'll have to try to make some this year :-))

There are four videos on the Club website, one is the Club video, the other three are old ones you may have already
seen on YT.  The gallery has photos of all the events we held in 2017.  The link is below.

Your photo and video link are very interesting :-))

Regards
Michael.

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2018, 11:26:08 pm »

I will do my best to start uploading videos again I do miss seeing them again

mikromodell

• Full Mayhemer
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2018, 06:38:12 am »

I will do my best to start uploading videos again I ...
:-)) :-)) :-))

Is this your channel?: https://www.youtube.com/user/ministeve72

Regards
Harry

Airfix Severn Class Lifeboat R/C converted - YT movie of the maiden journey in Miniatur Wunderland Hamburg: https://youtu.be/Dcjz5HToQ7M

mikromodell

• Full Mayhemer
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2018, 06:47:24 am »

The gallery has photos of all the events we held in 2017.  The link is below.

Your photo and video link are very interesting :-))

Thank you 2 times  :-))
Regards
Harry

mikromodell

• Full Mayhemer
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2018, 07:29:32 am »

Tug towing with three tugs in Miniatur Wunderland, using their floating dock.

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2018, 10:21:29 am »

Yes Harry it' a shame I didn' keep up the video's as I would have liked more of friends we no longer have with us I will endevour to pull my finger out this year

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2018, 06:03:08 pm »

Heres my first attempt at towing at Balne Moor, if my memory serves me well this was about 5years ago  {-)

hope the link works https://youtu.be/iDIMsQ8TyZQ

Butts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2018, 08:56:38 pm »

It's a while since the pond looked like that Brian. 

I reckon a bit more than 5 years, I've never seen it quite like that.
The crane is still there, but needs renovation now.  The listing tow is no more <:(

I knew already that yours is a fine Maltby, but seeing do what it should is great :-))

I got a bit seasick towards the end though :embarrassed:

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2018, 11:01:44 pm »

Hi chipchase,
Great video of your 1st tow at Balne moor ,and a nice looking tug. I don't think my 1st tow was as smooth as yours.

Spud

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.