Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tug Towing Courses & Rules and R/C Scale Steering  (Read 24696 times)

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Tug Towing Courses & Rules and R/C Scale Steering
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2018, 04:36:18 pm »

It's a while since the pond looked like that Brian. 

I reckon a bit more than 5 years, I've never seen it quite like that.
The crane is still there, but needs renovation now.  The listing tow is no more <:(

I knew already that yours is a fine Maltby, but seeing do what it should is great :-))

I got a bit seasick towards the end though :embarrassed:

it is a great venue Butts, my mate Peter had the camera  {-) i will have to try and get back one of these days  :-))

I think it was more good luck than skill Spun LOL

mikromodell

• Full Mayhemer
  • On Facebook: Harry Jörg
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2018, 07:20:47 am »

Heres my first attempt at towing at Balne Moor, if my memory serves me well this was about 5years ago  {-)

hope the link works https://youtu.be/iDIMsQ8TyZQ

Well done, a new movie  :-))
As I understand it's quite still at the pond in Balne Moor nowadays?
Regards
Harry
Airfix Severn Class Lifeboat R/C converted - YT movie of the maiden journey in Miniatur Wunderland Hamburg: https://youtu.be/Dcjz5HToQ7M

Butts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Secretary, Balne Moor Model Boat Club
    • http://balne-moor-model-boat-club.myfreesites.net/
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2018, 04:30:30 pm »

Yes, it's usually quite still at Balne Moor Harry.  The difference is that now there are far more harbours and obstacles to steer around with the tugs (and for scale steering).
This year there will be a section which has fewer obstacles so the warships
can show their paces.

Come along anytime Brian, there's a full programme of the events on our website,  follow the link below

Michael

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2018, 04:42:45 pm »

Come along anytime Brian, there's a full programme of the events on our website,  follow the link below

Michael

:-))

mikromodell

• Full Mayhemer
  • On Facebook: Harry Jörg
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2018, 07:46:59 pm »

This year there will be a section which has fewer obstacles so the warshipscan show their paces.

Surely building a model of a warship is a big challenge, it has so many details to build. But on the pond tug towing and crane workings are much more interesting. The movies from Balne Moor are proving this  :-)

Did you know, in Hamburg the Royal Mail has a mailbox, too: https://youtu.be/qHQ9gKA5KbM

Regards
Harry
Airfix Severn Class Lifeboat R/C converted - YT movie of the maiden journey in Miniatur Wunderland Hamburg: https://youtu.be/Dcjz5HToQ7M

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2018, 08:04:33 pm »

This is all interesting stuff, but warships are so different to tugs in maneuvering.

Example:  The battleship I am building will have a turning circle of around 20 feet, three times its length, but my springer tug with Kort nozzle can spin virtually on its own axis.

A lovely film clip from a European show recently had warships being towed through lift bridges, turning it, and berthed alongside the quay.  Very skilfully accomplished.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Butts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2018, 02:50:56 pm »

That sort of is our point Bob. 

We have quite a lot of tug members as people know, but we also
have members with large warships which, as you say, do not turn as quickly.
The more open area is to make the pond more usable for those warships.  We've even installed
a heavy boat lift, to avoid the potential for injury :-))

Novel idea for a postbox Harry. When it rains our post arrives wet, so I do not know how the submerged box will fare %%

Yoshic48

• Retired
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2018, 10:54:26 am »

Hi, I am the competition secretary for (Lincoln) 'Hartsholme Electric MBC'.
    We have been doing steering courses for 35 years and tug towing for the past 5 in seriousness. Our rules are the same for any competition, Penalties are given as ; 10 points for a wrong course deliberate or otherwise, 2 points for every touch/scrape against an object in the course either by the tug or tow (vessel), 3 attempts at any particular part of a course such as the touching of a bell buoy or attempt at docking betwixt two fixed points (thus failure after 3 attempts incurs a 10 point penalty). We have found that for scale steering events a minimum length of vessel of 21" is applicable and within tug tow a contestant may use whatever he deems fit (as it is by experience that no particular drive system is superior to another when it comes down to the pressures of guiding a barge/s through a challenging course!!) All objects are of uniform distance apart (1 yrd/m) making gates to steer through. The courses are diagrammed in colour and set out as near to the map as is possible. Start and finish gates are designated by red and green bouys (Port and starboard). A demonstration run is verbally given or even shown by the secretary so as all competitors have no excuse. Although good humour and discretion rule the day. If you would like any further details, I am more than happy to share photos of objects, courses etc

Good luck to you all
Pirate
Hi yes I am trying to get all the information I can I can Not find a rule of thumb for the (Length) and ( importantly Weight) of the (tow barges) for each Size and class of tug Any information would be helpful, I do intend this summer to visit (Blaine Moor ) when the weather breaks as they have helped out a lot already hope to see all soon?

Butts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2018, 08:14:00 am »

As always, you're welcome to come along and have a look at how we do things at Balne Moor.  Have a look at our website (link below) and pick an event date which is suitable for you.  Even when it's listed as a scale sailing day we'll have tows in the water to test your skill.  The exception will be the May MPBA joint event which will be scale only.

Whilst in theory you could come on other weekends, it has to be by arrangement.  We are unusual in having a secure site which has benefits, but also makes it difficult for visitors to get in on non event days.

Hope to see you some time this season :-))

Pirate

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2018, 02:43:35 pm »

Hi,
    today I began to implement a new way of 'handicapping' for tug tow. I am testing the bollard pull of each tug in our club whose owner is desirous of competing this year. Utilising a 3m length of floating cord as a tow rope from vessel to shore, attached at shore is a digital fish weighing device (c 5 pound via e bay). The results today so far; 0.32/0.57/0.94/0.97/3.5/3.8/5.6 llb. So you see there is an evident division of 1llb and below and that of 3.5 llb and above. Thus when all the results are in we will have a low category pulling a lighter barge (c10 llb in weight(MMM)) and a high category pulling my own design barge (c28 llb). the 'twin tow will also be governed by this division with the lower category pulling a lighter merchant vessel, and the higher towing my own design larger vessel. If desired I will keep all informed of these advances as and when there is more data.
    My thoughts were to attempt at leveling the proverbial playing field and giving All a chance of competing pro rata. I have measured the respective tows;large barge - 4 foot x 11 inches x 6
         small barge - 33 inches x 8.5 x 4
         large tow    - 10 foot x 15.5 x 8 (c 125 llb)
         small tow    - 5 foot x 1 foot x 9 inches (c 40 llb)

I do hope this is of use. Only time will tell (perhaps this is the year I will not be the tug tow champ of our club!!?)

regards
Pirate

Yoshic48

• Retired
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2018, 05:19:31 pm »

Hi,
    today I began to implement a new way of 'handicapping' for tug tow. I am testing the bollard pull of each tug in our club whose owner is desirous of competing this year. Utilising a 3m length of floating cord as a tow rope from vessel to shore, attached at shore is a digital fish weighing device (c 5 pound via e bay). The results today so far; 0.32/0.57/0.94/0.97/3.5/3.8/5.6 llb. So you see there is an evident division of 1llb and below and that of 3.5 llb and above. Thus when all the results are in we will have a low category pulling a lighter barge (c10 llb in weight(MMM)) and a high category pulling my own design barge (c28 llb). the 'twin tow will also be governed by this division with the lower category pulling a lighter merchant vessel, and the higher towing my own design larger vessel. If desired I will keep all informed of these advances as and when there is more data.
    My thoughts were to attempt at leveling the proverbial playing field and giving All a chance of competing pro rata. I have measured the respective tows;large barge - 4 foot x 11 inches x 6
         small barge - 33 inches x 8.5 x 4
         large tow    - 10 foot x 15.5 x 8 (c 125 llb)
         small tow    - 5 foot x 1 foot x 9 inches (c 40 llb)

I do hope this is of use. Only time will tell (perhaps this is the year I will not be the tug tow champ of our club!!?)

regards
Pirate
Hi Thanks yes that sounds great in practice (I don't know )? I am building a practice /(Barge) out of a cardboard box? and yes we have the skill to make it water proof as well as sink proof (Hopfully)
we have made other models this way and we will see how it goes, but it may be on the large as in width and high to be determind but about 33in long and could weight as much as we like for different classes??
well it will be OK for tests and practice will let you know ??

Yoshic48

• Retired
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2018, 05:22:50 pm »

As always, you're welcome to come along and have a look at how we do things at Balne Moor.  Have a look at our website (link below) and pick an event date which is suitable for you.  Even when it's listed as a scale sailing day we'll have tows in the water to test your skill.  The exception will be the May MPBA joint event which will be scale only.

Whilst in theory you could come on other weekends, it has to be by arrangement.  We are unusual in having a secure site which has benefits, but also makes it difficult for visitors to get in on non event days.

Hope to see you some time this season :-))
Hi Thanks as usual and yes will do that when weather breaks .... and had some practice with tow? yet to try? will also try and test tow strength as above? see you in the ?Summer)?? Roy

Butts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2018, 11:25:40 am »

I am building a practice /(Barge) out of a cardboard box? and yes we have the skill to make it water proof as well as sink proof (Hopfully)
we have made other models this way and we will see how it goes, but it may be on the large as in width and high to be determind but about 33in long and could weight as much as we like for different classes??
well it will be OK for tests and practice will let you know ??

A waterproofed box will a good basis to practise. What you need to do though is have enough weight within it so that you can feel the change in handling of the towing vessel.  Believe me, the handling does change significantly.  You might know how to put your "light" vessel into any manoeuvre, but you have to relearn when towing a weight.

I'm still learning how to handle the effects %% %% .

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2018, 07:53:17 pm »

Hi Yoshic 48
  Here is a barge you could tow & save your self some time in making your box you could pick it up at Balne Moor when you come to
  visit, a small donation to the club & take it away.

John

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2018, 07:55:15 pm »

Roy forgot to say.  barge   33" x 14"

John

Yoshic48

• Retired
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2018, 04:33:11 pm »

Hi Yoshic 48
  Here is a barge you could tow & save your self some time in making your box you could pick it up at Balne Moor when you come to
  visit, a small donation to the club & take it away.

John
Hi that may well be a good Idea if its still there when I get there? will be looking at weather and your dates just now to see just when I can get in? will notify before hand any way and I may turn up
with my tug (defiantly) also small (speed boat) encased to preserve it as I built it in the early 60s also My brother and a joint friend may come as well?? but will let (Butts) now or leave message and wait confirmation before coming Thanks?

Yoshic48

• Retired
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2018, 04:46:27 pm »

A waterproofed box will a good basis to practise. What you need to do though is have enough weight within it so that you can feel the change in handling of the towing vessel.  Believe me, the handling does change significantly.  You might know how to put your "light" vessel into any manoeuvre, but you have to relearn when towing a weight.

I'm still learning how to handle the effects %% %% .

Hi Yes that is another problem trying to find information on (Class) size (Power of pull) I did try that this week but forgot results get next sunday? also (Size)  of Towed (vessel) and what overall weight for what class?? I do understand your course may be difficult with (My 1/48 scale Yorkshireman Tug) (with my not true deck fittings) but as said before It looks good to me and up to now goes quite well? would love to send you some photos but I can't get them to down load on here ? and as (Poll) offered just maybe I may come away with a barge as well?? if still there? when I get there? But I am coming sometime/ Roy and my tug is Heavy?

Pirate

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2018, 05:09:44 pm »

Hi,
  sorry have been otherwise engaged for a few weeks. Am about half way through collecting all the data for the club members tugs as regards bollard pull. Also measuring length, motor, voltage, propulsion type/size, scale and pull. When all of this is together I will post the results as of general interest but pertinently regards the size of tow each vessel is able to pull with ease and control. I will also post pictures of tugs, tows etc to give some sense of perspective. Please be patient as this takes a lot of cooperation and logistics but I do believe this information could be used by all fellow tug towers and could also be added to by other interested parties to then have a chart of comparable tugs and data.

What ever you do
Have fun
Pirate

destroyer42

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2018, 05:15:22 pm »

Hi Pirate,
Excellent work, I for one will be interested on your results/graph.
Destroyer42

Yoshic48

• Retired
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2018, 10:56:23 am »

Hi,
  sorry have been otherwise engaged for a few weeks. Am about half way through collecting all the data for the club members tugs as regards bollard pull. Also measuring length, motor, voltage, propulsion type/size, scale and pull. When all of this is together I will post the results as of general interest but pertinently regards the size of tow each vessel is able to pull with ease and control. I will also post pictures of tugs, tows etc to give some sense of perspective. Please be patient as this takes a lot of cooperation and logistics but I do believe this information could be used by all fellow tug towers and could also be added to by other interested parties to then have a chart of comparable tugs and data.

What ever you do
Have fun Hi (Pirate) it would be great to have that information there is some information on the net (USA) Foss Regatta) although they have some very large Tugs and (barges) I don't know if you have seen this info it could be a help? https://sosiski.com/post/jOlX2MJWkNc/r-c-model-tugboats-foss-cup-2012// you may have seen it? I am just after basics at the min so could maybe enter in the future it depends how (Clubs) are it should be Fun as well as Skill and yes there does need to be a (handicapping ) method keep up the good work will be coming to your club in warmer weather
Pirate

Butts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2018, 01:24:36 pm »

https://youtu.be/HXm8CqoXTas

To illustrate what is possible, here is Steve Clubbe's video of a tow at Balne Moor with
San George in 2013 (Harry has mentioned it elsewhere on this thread).

The lead tug is a standard Robbe Happy Hunter. Fixed korts and rudders.  To the best of my knowledge
the bow thruster was not working - I know it does not work now, but I'm not certain about its
condition in 2013.  San George is at least 4m long and very heavy, yet Happy Hunter coped admirably.

Yoshic48

• Retired
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2018, 05:02:30 pm »

Hi I am building a Tug 1/48 scale the question is because I want to (Tow) and also maybe in completion Towing, I want my Tug to resemble on the outside as close to (Scale as Possible) but I want to fit (What ever I want to as a drive system as Motor size and Prop size and bow thrusters if I wish) electric of course powered with Maximum 12volts system. So a simple way of looking at this is eg: A driving test to gain a licence in a car? IS a test of (SKILL and Knowledge) No matter the Make of (CAR) (Truck in HGVs) or (Buses) or even (Trains) and Boats or (Tanks) RC Models ( Sails? Battle ships, Tugs, all manner ) should be able to participate even (NON Scale with crazy designs Race ) So That will be my approach on this build (Rope sizes) are open for discussion as yet I have not found any information only up to the competitor? Thank You for this thread hopefully I will keep an eye on it and look forwards to Finishing my (TUG)
Just a bit of an Update ? Yes have finished and lots of re hashing of Batteries, wiring, and other but I think I am happy as I can be now It seems to have a lot of power but is a bit heavy? with hashing everything Yes I have lights of my own, Horn of a sort? and believe the tug pull is about 1 and 1/2 to 2Lbs? will have to recheck, that is steady pull on scales from bank? Nice thick rope ? to hook to any other? No winch so can alter rope Length if needed? just now Waiting for friend to finish (Barge 33" ) and My home made Cardboard own design, with my brothers system of Harding and water proofing? we will see? takes awhile to do though, all will soon be ready. Good Towing to all. Thanks for the (San George ) connection.

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2018, 07:45:04 pm »

Hi Roy. What props do you have on the Yorkshireman?

John.

Yoshic48

• Retired
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2018, 10:08:39 am »

Hi Roy. What props do you have on the Yorkshireman?

Hi John (Roy) here yes two 50mm 6 Bladed Brass the 50mm is to fit the fixed cowls with twin rubbers and a (Bow Thruster the Raboesch double brass bladed one?
I run a 12v Lead acid and a 6v lead acid so lasts and lasts? but still experimenting? because I tried two 12v at first but it was to heavy? 6v (Bow Thruster, lights, horn and rudder servo
12v runs two 800 brushed motors (MFA Torpedo Marine ) I think and a cooling fan? apparently they are lower revving than the 850 and only draw about 10amps I will be bringing it to (Balne Moor) in the summer
 but will organize that with (Butts) 

John.

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2018, 12:46:26 pm »

Hi Roy. Could you post a photo of your props please.

John.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.