Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scale Sail Advice/Identification  (Read 5098 times)

steamyjim

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Scale Sail Advice/Identification
« on: April 17, 2017, 10:57:08 pm »

Hello, some of you may have seen my post in the 'Chit-Chat' section regarding a collection of model boats I purchased recently. As a mainly steam man I've very little knowledge of the sailing ships I purchased in the collection. I wonder if people here could advise me as to what I am looking at, please?

I'll put some pictures of my steam fleet over in the steam section...

Fingers crossed the images upload correctly!

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Scale Sail Advice/Identification
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 08:59:33 am »

They look great, your first picture is similar to some of the decorative models, I have one I am hoping to convert to RC. (aprox 22 inches loa.)
Can you indicate the lengths of the boats please?
regards Roy

steamyjim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 04:07:01 pm »

They look great, your first picture is similar to some of the decorative models, I have one I am hoping to convert to RC. (aprox 22 inches loa.)
Can you indicate the lengths of the boats please?
regards Roy

Hi Roy,
The first one did have a sign with it saying "Morecambe Bay Prawner"

The boats are all somewhere around a metre long.

steamyjim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 08:42:54 pm »

A couple of others...

Some may have seen the green and red hulled one for sale on the MBM Facebook group...

steamyjim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 08:39:58 pm »

Anyone?

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 02:31:45 am »

Hi Steamy...  may one ask who built them?  They all seem rather good work by an accomplished builder.  There are a few modellers who would command a higher price tag.  Is there any literature/ plans with names?
 The white sail blue hull boat has a very similar hull to Inga IV.  A kit boat but the hull only was available and the deck build looks good.
The 2 white jib blue hull with wood deck may well be a current kit called Moonbeam.  If it has white metal fittings this would often show it is a kit boat
The ochre coloured sails boat looks like an ex fishing boat converted to a family sailer.
Are they plank on frame build of glass fibre hulls?

As a group they are cruising yachts modelled from the 1890s to 1920s, (but not that old) I suggest not specific boats but built by someone with a good eye for proportion and detail. 

If you have radio control in them and you have the transmitters this might be a clue as to age.
27Mhtz is going to be 25 years plus in age, 40 Mhtz 15 years back with 2.4 Htz modern.  If they fall within first 2 definitely check out all the batteries.  Look for green battery contact deposits and black wires on the negative wires in transmitters.  All problem areas.
I would be very pleased to have any them myself but lack of space prevents.

all the best Roy

misog

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 04:20:02 pm »

If i were you, i would take some photos and pay a visit to Mike Mayhew in Clevedon. Not so far down the road from you in Bristol.

Look him up, very helpfull bloke.

You'll even get a cup of coffee from my experience.

Misog

Utterly amazed at the models that folks happen upon, why not me?

steamyjim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 06:44:03 pm »

Hi Steamy...  may one ask who built them?  They all seem rather good work by an accomplished builder.  There are a few modellers who would command a higher price tag.  Is there any literature/ plans with names?
 The white sail blue hull boat has a very similar hull to Inga IV.  A kit boat but the hull only was available and the deck build looks good.
The 2 white jib blue hull with wood deck may well be a current kit called Moonbeam.  If it has white metal fittings this would often show it is a kit boat
The ochre coloured sails boat looks like an ex fishing boat converted to a family sailer.
Are they plank on frame build of glass fibre hulls?

As a group they are cruising yachts modelled from the 1890s to 1920s, (but not that old) I suggest not specific boats but built by someone with a good eye for proportion and detail. 

If you have radio control in them and you have the transmitters this might be a clue as to age.
27Mhtz is going to be 25 years plus in age, 40 Mhtz 15 years back with 2.4 Htz modern.  If they fall within first 2 definitely check out all the batteries.  Look for green battery contact deposits and black wires on the negative wires in transmitters.  All problem areas.
I would be very pleased to have any them myself but lack of space prevents.

all the best Roy

Hi Roy, thanks for your reply. I don't think they've all been built by one person as I got the impression from the seller they were bought from all over the place. There is no paperwork relating to individual boats unfortunately. Also, the quality does vary from boat to boat - there are some really beautiful vessels which I've yet to add photos of - I still need to sort the various masts out to suit the boats!

I'm a tad confused with your reference to blue hulls - I don't think one of the ships I posted has a blue hull! There is certainly a 'Moonbeam' in there - in the second batch of photos I posted. From memory they're all on glass fibre hulls.

The radio gear has generally been removed from them - I had a few boxes of assorted RC gear that came with the collection which had everything from 27Mhz though 45Mhz and on to 2.4Ghz so unfortunately that doesn't narrow down the individual boats.

I have much the same problem, I'd love to keep them all but lack of space stops me, so some will have to go...

steamyjim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 06:45:45 pm »

If i were you, i would take some photos and pay a visit to Mike Mayhew in Clevedon. Not so far down the road from you in Bristol.

Look him up, very helpfull bloke.

You'll even get a cup of coffee from my experience.

Misog

Utterly amazed at the models that folks happen upon, why not me?

Mike is an old friend of mine from when I started in the hobby but I've had very little luck getting in contact with him of late. I ought to take a trip down and see if he's there as you say though... 

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 07:58:03 pm »

Hi, I was refering to the photo yta, it has a white under water colour.  Has my colour perception gone?
regards Roy

steamyjim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 10:27:18 pm »

Hi, I was refering to the photo yta, it has a white under water colour.  Has my colour perception gone?
regards Roy

I see that as some sort of maroon!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 05:42:03 am »

My dear Roy.......I think you may have had too much afternoon sun on the balcony having a toast to the Sun God ...with our good old red wine  on the Central Coast of New South Wales in OZ land & overlooking the blue water and rolling waves over the golden sand  ;)

The aroma of garlic spiced lamb & fish on the BBQ's wafting through the green shrubbery   :kiss:....[no nearer to God can we be than down here]

I thought image Y1a.jpg displayed a white striped waterline %)....below the black & above the maroon

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 08:57:41 am »

Yeah right!  Us (nearly) old codgers have lots to contend with in life, but I made the picture as large as I could and it still looks blue on my laptop!
But I shall defer to members who are better equipped than I to perceive the finer things in life. 

I have been contemplating painting a newly acquired yacht hull and I think I shall choose this new maroon colour, but I am not sure whether to go for a 'navy' maroon or 'French' maroon.  But then again 'sky' maroon is rather nice.
I will let you know.

Regards to all,  (sent from Specsavers)
Roy

steamyjim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 08:29:03 pm »

Regarding Roy's comment about being of a certain maker this ship has a bull by 'Bob Underwood' - does that mean anything to anyone? There is also some information regarding the builder but I've forgotten for the time being. The stand says it's a 'Gentleman's Cutter' Certainly made a lovely job of it (and a beautiful ship at that too - one I definatley plan on keeping!)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 08:42:30 pm »

Bob Underwood made some very nice hulls.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2017, 11:19:00 pm »

Could "Rebecca" be built to the 1730 tonnage rule?

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 03:28:13 pm »

A couple of others...

Some may have seen the green and red hulled one for sale on the MBM Facebook group...

First one is a Metcalf Mouldings 'Moonbeam', gaff -cutter. I had 2 of them and miss them both! Great sailers.

steamyjim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2018, 09:08:08 pm »

Chaps - I've been going through some more of the collection of sailing boats and have sent a couple of evenings sorting out masts, sails and rigging - as you can see, it's quite a fleet!

I wonder if anyone would be able to help me identify some of the below - there appears to be a couple of J-Class (I'm rather fond of the large one sat out in the garden so I expect that'll stay in my collection). I've been told this may be built from a Bob Underwood hull/kit?

There are a few that I've not posted before and some better pictures of ones I've already posted.

Since last posting here I purchased a beautiful MH&B 'Opal' which has taken pride of place in the house - I'll put some pictures up over in the steam section later.

steamyjim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2018, 09:25:09 pm »

A few more here - the first I've been told may be built on a Bob Underwood 'Gentlemans Cutter' hull, but I seem to be struggling to find much information about such a hull. I've another boat in my collection that appears to be built on an identical hull moulding so I'm sure that the hull is commercially made. Does anyone recognise it?

Next is something I've not got any clue about at all. Does anyone recognise either the ship or the hull form?

Finally, another very nicely made J-Class - anyone recognise the hull on this one?

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.