Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starboard - Offset Rudder?  (Read 4681 times)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Starboard - Offset Rudder?
« on: April 20, 2017, 05:13:30 am »

Folks....the image below depicts a rudder offset within the vessel :o......my limited research suggests the following

•   one of the interesting things with this vessel is the rudder being offset to the side we now call starboard
•   my research ended with text suggesting that sailing vessels berthed on the left going forward, so they were moored to the physical wall of the port & hence the term of port was designated to the left side of the vessel
•   the word starboard appears to be a derivation or opposite to port
•   the placement of the rudder in the vessel away from the side of the vessel as moored was to ensure mooring ropes did not foul the rudder and made for better manoeuvring during berthing with clean water available

When we research the words Port & Starboard we end up with differing explanations talking about Larboard
This was also the term used for mooring a vessel assisted with oars and also by the left side of the vessel to the port
If anyone has a further comment or explanation would be most welcome O0

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
Re: Offset Rudder?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 06:45:27 am »

Starboard was a derivation of Steer board, indicating the side that the steering board was
typically located on old ships. (Steered by right handed sailors)

ok2

And since the steering board was on the right, the boats would dock to the port side so
as not to interfere with steering. The could then use PORTers to load the boat, so the
loading side, larboard has it's own history.

8)

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 03:59:24 pm »

As I have read in the past "larboard" was replaced with "port" when too many mistakes were made when an order was given and misunderstood from "starboard" sounding too much like "larboard" over the noise of the ship and the sea.

Same thing happened in my family when water skiing.  My dad would yell "Ready?" from the boat, and I would say either "Go" or "No."  Over the sound of the engine this created much confusion, until I learned to say "Hit it" for Dad to advance the throttle.  >>:-(

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 09:39:54 am »

Derek my friend, I understand you are contemplating putting your beautiful steam plant in a model of this boat. Is the rudder offset ? I should be very weary of this drawing. Its only a artist impression & not that accurate as we discussed before. Also isn't your boiler horizontal. Now is that a vertical boiler, or it could be a tank around the funnel to heat the feed water. I don't think it is though. Robert, Bob, Geoffrey, Geoff, or Joe. Blame who you like. But I still want to be your friend.
Restricted to playing on the computer. Hammer.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Starboard - Offset Rudder?
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 09:51:58 am »

I though Starboard came from the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang  song:
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNpWBMNyC0w    %)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 10:33:46 am »

Well RGY.....from this you are back at home after your little stay with the Hospital  :kiss: nurses...I reckon after 48 hours they knew you were just malingering  {-).......

The computer games will drive you to drink  :o within a day or so......then back to Irene O0

With respect to the De Schelde......to me she has that STDB sided rudder which may or may not eventuate, however her steam plant with the vertical boiler would suit the layout of my build.......I have even signed on the first bilge rat crew member to man the pumps.......he is shown in the image below..& he will stand with his back to the bow  %%

Looking forward to progress with the Irene

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 05:07:55 pm »

Sorry Derek an't got my brain back yet.  :o  I don't know what made me think your boiler was horizontal. I have seen it often enough. %% Just awoke from my afternoon nap, what a good boy I am. Wile I was laying in bed I had a thought. Nothing else to do in bed now. The thought is the boiler in De Scheilde could be a "haystack" boiler. A lot of circles around the base stoke holes? Yes should be on lower deck, but artistic licence again who knows.   
As for Irene I have installed the pumps. I had them made & holes drilled when it happened, so just pushed them in. Tell your deckhand look the other way Irene is well in front. {-)

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
  • Very passionate about ships
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 07:22:22 pm »

How the English language came to calling it starboard I don't now, I do know why the Dutch call it stuurboord (sounds a bit the same, count in the sounds of the sea and ships and I can imagine the English and Dutch word being heard pretty much the same).
Stuur (translated into English steer from steering) has to do with the Vikings having a steering oar on the right side of the ship.
Early sailing ships also had this feature.
Thus, the right side of the ship became known as steeringboard (literally translated).

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.
A day without learning is a lost day

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 10:23:21 pm »

Thanks Josse :-))

....interestingly Google  'Searches related to De Schelde paddle boat by Naerebout' reveal little however do reference the Naerebout ship building in Holland....it also appears they built submarines for the German WW1 offensive

It may be a coincidence that the freelance artist with the surname of Naerebout did in fact paint image of mythical vessels

If you found any references to either I would be most appreciative

Derek  O0
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 02:21:02 pm »

Derek the first photo in reply 5.

Why has the ship got wings on the hull?

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 02:21:29 pm »

Evening Brian ;)........they are sponsons......ie.,  it is a paddler hull.............. Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 11:47:50 am »

Well Derek my brain is coming back slowly. Now I am wondering who is taking the P*** here. The artist, Brian or you. Defiantly not me.
The artist is supposed to show a fast steamer but the smoke & flag are going rapidly forward.  The boat is not reversing as can be seen by the wake from the paddles.
Geoff .

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 11:57:28 am »

40 Knt following wind :-))
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.