Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How much !!  (Read 2359 times)

timbo

• Full Mayhemer
How much !!
« on: April 28, 2017, 02:44:18 pm »

Oph must be made of Gold  :o

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371923261780

T33cno

Re: How much !!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 02:49:08 pm »

Or best offer Tim :-))
Includes DX6 radio all complete but even if you took build time as £1 per hour it is overpriced and it must be top quality

timbo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 03:09:06 pm »

It would have be to be at that price plus £55 postage, I know build time is priceless but wow.

T33cno

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 03:11:01 pm »

I imagine he'd take considerably less why not try a cheeky offer  ;D

timbo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 03:13:46 pm »

What and risk a divorce  :embarrassed:

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 07:08:39 pm »

What a cheeky offer of about £900 would be closer to the mark,
I will say in his defence it is made from some of the best ACTion mixers, P102 power board and what looks like an ACTion sound board as well so he's used high quality components along with the Spectrum DX6 so probably worth £1000+ but I wouldn't pay that personally

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 07:10:13 pm »

What and risk a divorce  :embarrassed:

It's a cheap divorce, just tell her she can have everything but your having the boat & your car  :-))

timbo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 10:14:57 pm »

{-) <*<

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 10:24:05 am »

Or best offer Tim :-))
Includes DX6 radio all complete but even if you took build time as £1 per hour it is overpriced and it must be top quality

If you are happy to work for £1 per hour doing something as skilled as making a boat like this then you'll never be short of work, but only eat once a week.

Surely we should celebraite this sort of thing as it proves, to the layman, that our time isn't being wasted but is in fact valuable? Why is it that a well built model should sell for less than the cost of the component parts?

Perhaps you would be better off showing this to your nearest and dearest and tell them what fantastic investments your fleet are, and yes you are happy to build a few more if you really insist...

T33cno

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 10:30:04 am »

I agree but hobby hours are only rated at £1 each as so many are involved that no one would pay it.
You have to consider the pleasure of building makes up for the lack of pay  :-))
If we considered the cost we would not do it

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 11:55:17 am »

Why are hobby hours worthless? Plenty of people play football for fun, but professional footballers are paid a fortune.

A lot depends whether a boat is built for fun or to sell. If the later then you'd have to consider a sensible hourly rate or you won't do it, which is what I suspect has happened here. No different in that respect to Graupner high-end ready to sail boats, which are a similar price. The Graupner factory workers certainly expect to be paid to put those things together, it's not fun for them.

At the end of the day anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If there is a time poor, cash rich buyer then they might be happy to buy a high quality model and just sail it. If that's the case then everyone is happy. There ARE such people involved in the hobby too. Maybe not you and certainly not me, but they do exist in small numbers.

To pick up on the original point, if that was your boat and it sold for the asking price, you'd be looking at those who don't think it's right to ask so much and laughing.

T33cno

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 12:22:40 pm »

Don't get me wrong I defended the price in another thread but if I was buying I'd offer £900

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 01:04:53 pm »

Unless your name is Faberge, then the time involved with solving all the little build problems makes hobby time worthless.

Graupner employees know what they are building, how to build it quickly, they have all the parts to hand and all the kinks have been engineered out to be able to build & sell the product at a sensible price.

Realistically, I value a model to sell as the cost of the parts & paints & maybe a little more if it is done really well.

More likely will only achieve half that in practice - after all, it's used/second hand and most people seem to want the kit to build themselves - even if they never finish it (look at the number of dusty half finished models on ebay from a deceased relative).

T33cno

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 01:06:55 pm »

There are plenty of people out there who WANT but have no ability to build and a well made model will find its value

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 03:40:01 pm »

Realistically, I value a model to sell as the cost of the parts & paints & maybe a little more if it is done really well.
Which is why our hobby is a complete waste of time to the outside world. Even when given the chance, modellers shout loudly "everything we do is worthless".

I disagree. On that basis all paintings are worth nothing, they are after all just paint and canvas, and yet the consistantly sell for vast amounts of money. The same goes for hand made furniture - a Chipendale is only bits of wood - in fact for every craft based item. Yet craft fairs flog all sorts of stuff for proper money. Using the Graupner example, why is their RTR boat worth more than the cost of parts & paint?

Why do model boats sell less well? I suspect you are right that a lot of people want to build a kit, or at least store it on a shelf in unbuilt form. There is also an over-supply of poor to averagely built models which are difficult to ship by post. Well made models are likely to be a different beast. As T33cno says, "a well made model will find its value", the challenge is to find another person who sees that value.

T33cno

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2017, 04:32:42 pm »

A model can take just as many hours to build badly as immaculate so it's the quality that counts with resale. Its not often that top examples come to the fore as generally owners love them.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2017, 04:52:26 pm »

It is certainly true to say that something is only worth what someone else will pay for it.

But perhaps putting too much emphasis on the work that goes into something is a bit like looking through the wrong end of the telescope, it's the perceived value of the finished article which largely sets the price.

As far as art in the form of paintings is concerned the amount of time spent by the artist is not always very relevant, value is determined by who the artist is, the skill level demonstrated and probably equally importantly, whether the artist happens to be in fashion at the time. Fortunes have been gained and lost on the latter!

The market for model boats is currently rather in the doldrums. There is very little upmarket demand except for items such as builder's models and those with particular historical provenance. The models of the late, lamented Brian King did not fetch very high prices last year despite being some of the best examples you could possibly find in terms of craftmanship. Not all of them sold either.

I did the Caldercraft Imara review in the early 1990s. The model was too big for me and I sold it at Christies for £1,200. You would be most unlikely to get that now even ignoring the effect of 25 year's inflation. Apart from going out of fashion (see other topics on Museums putting their models into storage), I think that another reason for today's low prices for model boats is the availability of high quality kits. Almost any reasonably competent modeller can put one of these together to a standard that would formerly have been considered 'museum quality', and of course many do exactly that so there is little scarcity value.

With original paintings, buyers can be sure they are buying something unique (although too many prints can depress value) but anyone buying a Model Slipway Aziz should do so in the knowledge that there are probably a hundred or more similar models out there built to varying standards, some of which are likely to be better quality than theirs. They may have purchased something that will give them a lot of enjoyment but there is little intrinsic value in the accepted sense as the item is not scarce. Buy a decent painting and you may have a family heirloom to hand down to your kids. Buy a decently constructed kit and it might well just be binned when you fall off the perch! Your heirs won't get anywhere near what you paid for it and will be lucky to find somebody to take it off their hands.

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.