Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smit Rotterdam Build  (Read 37007 times)

FrozenRabbit471

• Full Mayhemer
  • Long may you big jib draw
    • My Instagram
Re: Smit Rotterdam Build
« Reply #150 on: June 04, 2017, 11:26:08 pm »

Thanks guys. I'm happy with it. I still haven't bought the RC components yet. That's a bit of a hangup.  Once I have it in place I can stick the decks in place etc. She will start coming to life then.
Better to have it and not want it, than to need it and not have it

FrozenRabbit471

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Instagram
« Reply #151 on: June 06, 2017, 10:46:17 pm »

I messed up a few windows on the rear port side of deck 1 cabins. I attempted to repair them but realized I was making it worse. Its one of those times when you just have to realize when to stop!

So I improvised and decided to install "storm covers" over them. After all is sanded down, and window box inner and storm cover trims are applied, it will look better. Ill ensure to install micro hinges to those storm covers guys, no worries

😁

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: June 07, 2017, 10:27:19 am »

Its not to late to sort he windows out .The patch that you put over to cover the mistake just cut round it and glue in a piece the same thickness as the side . If you use epoxy when its dry you can recut the window ,or cut the window  before you glue in the repair piece .
Only trying to help
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

FrozenRabbit471

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Instagram
« Reply #153 on: June 07, 2017, 11:00:07 am »

Its not to late to sort he windows out .The patch that you put over to cover the mistake just cut round it and glue in a piece the same thickness as the side . If you use epoxy when its dry you can recut the window ,or cut the window  before you glue in the repair piece .
Only trying to help
David
Thanks David. I actually used the blanks that you pop out from the windows to begin with. It helped save a couple of them. I'll try what you suggested on a couple. I think the storm cover might look ok when it's all done. I appreciate it very much. Thanks a million

T33cno

« Reply #154 on: June 07, 2017, 11:00:45 am »

I don't understand how that's happened as the windows are all laser cut and just need the tiny connecting bits cutting with a blade

FrozenRabbit471

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Instagram
« Reply #155 on: June 07, 2017, 11:06:45 am »

I don't understand how that's happened as the windows are all laser cut and just need the tiny connecting bits cutting with a blade
"carelessness " and "inexperience "
I was trying to feather out the window frames to resemble the look of some older ships. I used a file and ripped to deep. It's all good though. The lessons I've learned from this build through mistakes and folks like you guys are invaluable.  My next canoe should be a much better job.
That said, I'm proud of the hull so far. It's strong and fair on all sides.

FrozenRabbit471

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Instagram
« Reply #156 on: June 23, 2017, 01:17:39 pm »

Hi everyone. I haven't thrown in the towel. I'm in the midst of preparing to move across the country. I'll get back into it when life gets out of the way.

Terry

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #157 on: June 23, 2017, 01:39:51 pm »

Moving house is no excuses sir!   <*<
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

FrozenRabbit471

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Instagram
« Reply #158 on: June 23, 2017, 05:56:04 pm »

Moving house is no excuses sir!   <*<

Hahaha

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #159 on: June 23, 2017, 09:19:28 pm »

Have a good move. I hope you are moving near to a good pond/lake to sail on:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

FrozenRabbit471

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Instagram
« Reply #160 on: June 24, 2017, 02:43:52 am »

Have a good move. I hope you are moving near to a good pond/lake to sail on:O)
thats the plan

FrozenRabbit471

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Instagram
« Reply #161 on: January 28, 2018, 04:35:46 am »

Hey everyone,[/font]

I fell off the grid for a bit. We did move from western Canada to eastern Canada, then back west again. It was fun for me as I love travel. My wife however, not so much. That's where I've been.[/font]

Anyway, we moved from a house to an apartment. I have not lost interest in the least, I want to jump head and eyes back into the boat but it's hard to wrap my head around how to make this build work in an apartment. [/font]

I am mainly concerned about the sanding, glueing and epoxy applications and painting.[/font]

(( Keep in mind )) I live in a region where the temperatures drop to -45C / -49F so patio work is pretty much out.[/font]

Input please.😊[/font]

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #162 on: January 28, 2018, 03:06:01 pm »

Hi Terry, Welcome back. Several members live in apartments such as Danielle (MissyD) and Josse (Tafelzpitz?) so they have first hand experience and solutions to your situation.

If I was living in an apartment with a 'Significant-Other' I would do one of three things:

1, Do heavy sanding*, spraying* and smelly work* during your warmer periods when you can access the patio, and do work that requires little or no major '*' at other times.

2, If you have a utility room, then confine much of your '*' work there with defined plans for mess reduction and orderliness so as to appease 'Sig-Oth' as she might want to/want you to do something chore like and boring when you are in the utility room boat building.

3, Sit 'Sig-Oth' down and have a frank discussion about your intentions and have prepared plans and methods of how you intend to keep the results of '*' to a minimum. And keep to them to prevent nuclear melt down etc.

I am single and my house reflects this! But I have some plans to keep my home habitable as there would be a point where the fumes or dust would affect you as much as your wife. Keep newspapers for putting down and working on to keep mess to an area that can be wrapped up and dumped in one go, and that will absorb spillage giving you enough time to wipe the worst up and dump the paper and mess.
Pond weed is your enemy

FrozenRabbit471

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Instagram
« Reply #163 on: January 28, 2018, 04:24:17 pm »

Thanks for your insight. I may implement some of your suggestions. As soon as I complete a small scall WW2 model plane (P-40B Thunder bolt) Ill start back at the canoe.

Stay tuned for updates.

Terry

Hi Terry, Welcome back. Several members live in apartments such as Danielle (MissyD) and Josse (Tafelzpitz?) so they have first hand experience and solutions to your situation.

If I was living in an apartment with a 'Significant-Other' I would do one of three things:

1, Do heavy sanding*, spraying* and smelly work* during your warmer periods when you can access the patio, and do work that requires little or no major '*' at other times.

2, If you have a utility room, then confine much of your '*' work there with defined plans for mess reduction and orderliness so as to appease 'Sig-Oth' as she might want to/want you to do something chore like and boring when you are in the utility room boat building.

3, Sit 'Sig-Oth' down and have a frank discussion about your intentions and have prepared plans and methods of how you intend to keep the results of '*' to a minimum. And keep to them to prevent nuclear melt down etc.

I am single and my house reflects this! But I have some plans to keep my home habitable as there would be a point where the fumes or dust would affect you as much as your wife. Keep newspapers for putting down and working on to keep mess to an area that can be wrapped up and dumped in one go, and that will absorb spillage giving you enough time to wipe the worst up and dump the paper and mess.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #164 on: January 29, 2018, 07:08:58 am »

Several members live in apartments such as Danielle (MissyD) and Josse (Tafelzpitz?) so they have first hand experience and solutions to your situation.

You may have confused me with somebody else (I'm not Josse and I do live in a house where I fortunately have my own workshop), but I once stumbled upon some solutions for model builders with limited space. Check out this video, maybe this gets you some inspirations  :-)
https://youtu.be/QhMJoGGUnUk?t=39s

This won't help much with the messier work, though. But it may give you an opportunity for smaller detail works without having to move a lot of stuff around every time.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

FrozenRabbit471

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Instagram
« Reply #165 on: January 29, 2018, 02:27:30 pm »

Well, happy to meet you anyway. thank you for the link.

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
  • Dream being fulfilled after 47 years.
« Reply #166 on: February 06, 2018, 04:05:39 pm »

You may have confused me with somebody else (I'm not Josse and I do live in a house where I fortunately have my own workshop), but I once stumbled upon some solutions for model builders with limited space. Check out this video, maybe this gets you some inspirations  :-)
https://youtu.be/QhMJoGGUnUk?t=39s

This won't help much with the messier work, though. But it may give you an opportunity for smaller detail works without having to move a lot of stuff around every time.

Now this is hilarious  {-)
Ballastanksian has given me the name Josse in one of his comments. I thought it was a weird habbit in Crewkerne to call new friends Josse. I liked to think it was a friendly gesture anyway... Whoelse do you call Josse, ballastanksian  ok2  ?

My man-hole is down in  the cellar of our house. Effectively, it’s like working in a room of a flat. I have all the problems with sanding and painting etc. ... and er’inside. (well, guess the fact that it’s downstairs makes things a little better). I’m waiting for the summertime and dry weathers. Sanding is done with a vacuum cleaner close by - very carefully. I paint with acrylics (Vallejo) by airbrush. Window open and two fans blowing outward. protecting my breath. The cellar starts to get a brownish coat of acrylic paint despite of my efforts. I’ve seen some designs of a painting box, but my model is 90 cm long so no painting in a box for the hull and other large parts.

cheers, Hande

Trial-and-error doesn't spell failure - right?

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #167 on: February 06, 2018, 05:15:57 pm »

I think he may have confused you with Tweety 777 whos name is Josse  {-)

FrozenRabbit471

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Instagram
« Reply #168 on: February 06, 2018, 05:54:20 pm »

I think he may have confused you with Tweety 777 whos name is Josse  {-)
It's all very confusing lol

Mr Rogers

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #169 on: December 22, 2018, 03:27:56 pm »

Hi Terry,
any update on your Smit Rotterdam? I am currently in an early stage of the build. My hull is not even closed yet, but I had to take a forced break just like you.I want to get back to building in 2019 though!
Cheers,
Ole

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #170 on: January 01, 2019, 02:09:54 am »

Hi Terry,
any update on your Smit Rotterdam? I am currently in an early stage of the build. My hull is not even closed yet, but I had to take a forced break just like you.I want to get back to building in 2019 though!
Cheers,
Ole

Happy to help in any way I can Ole just ask or pm  :-))
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.