Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi from Hampshire  (Read 1390 times)

DougA

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Hi from Hampshire
« on: April 27, 2017, 01:26:22 pm »

I can offer a useful tip about model boating. DON'T bid on Ebay items after a couple of glasses of wine. %% I chucked in what I thought was a silly bid and won!
So now, I've got an elderly Thorneycroft MTB to play with. The paint work is pretty tired and a lot of it is flaking off but it's fine from across the lake. I probably won't due too much just yet although I'm tempted to make the machine gun tub rotate for no other reason that I fancy doing it :-). It came complete with a couple of NimH batteries and a 2.4ghz transmitter and receiver so good to go. I took it up to our local boating lake and it works ok but I think I've got a steep learning curve ahead of me especially configuring the r/c transmitter. A couple of extra jobs came up, one of the engines came adrift from the bed so that's top of the to-do list.
I'm sure I'll be popping up around the forum so please take pity on a newbie!

Thanks
Doug

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Hi from Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 07:26:10 pm »

Hi Doug,

Allow me to be the first to congratulate you on joining Mayhem, The primary chat forum for hundreds of excellent modellers who made a silly bid on Ebay. You could always spend some leisurely evenings with the old 'Wet and Dry' and give it a good rub down and a fresh coat of paint. The MTBs are great fun boats...so maybe not as mad as spending £500 on a complicated kit that you don't know how to build or even have the tools needed to do it.
Ask your questions, we're all slightly mad here anyway. But always ready to help out with friendly advice.

Cheers....(Hic!) Ron.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: Hi from Hampshire
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 09:08:20 pm »

MTBs are a good shaped hull for installing and accessing electrical gubbins. They also seem very forgiving on the water, you could have done much much worse.

Definitly prepare and repaint the hull to prevent water damage to the hull if it is wooden and why not try and motorise the gun tub? There are several discussions on turret mechanism here on the forum, some more technical than others, but it depends on how smooth/fast/accurate you want your traverse to be.

Pop some photos up and we can share your adventure throwing in any help we can give along the way.

Welcome to the forum Doug!
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 21 queries.