Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: HMS Agincourt build project  (Read 160733 times)

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
Re: HMS Agincourt build project
« Reply #375 on: December 04, 2017, 09:31:58 pm »

Told ya! ;)

My current focus is on funnels. ...been inspired, yet?!

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #376 on: December 04, 2017, 11:27:18 pm »

Battle ship funnels are models in their own right before you even get to stays and any plumbing for smoker tubes etc!

I wonder if Dreadnought had a winch for mine sweeping gear, and wether it might be the same as what Nick and Steve are after? Lovely illustrations, I think we have all learnt a little about the subject today.
Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #377 on: December 16, 2017, 06:28:46 pm »

Any detailed sub assembly, such as funnels, are indeed a model in their own right Ian.

Torpedo Nets Detail

Well I did ask for more detailed information on torpedo net booms, but when the book “Anatomy of a Ship. HMS Dreadnaught” arrived I automatically went into my “detailing” mode and tried to reproduce them with the same degree of accuracy.  Scuppered myself, as after a week I am still working on them.  Each of the 34 booms will be constructed in eight pieces, which unfortunately takes a lot of time.
Had I not seen those two highly detailed pages I would probably have made simple rods with representative “lumps” at the hinging point, much like most other such models I have seen.

I have never seen the Brailling Davits on any model I can recall.  More than sixty of them are used to deploy and recover the actual ringed netting. 

Whilst at Dean’s Christmas Open Days today I happened to ask Ron if he had ever seen Brailing Davits, whereupon he took me into his parts store and brought out this die-cast one - exactly the right size  . . .

OK, so I will not try to fabricate sixty of these as Dean’s can die-cast them in quantity for me.

Apparently the cataloguing for the Semi Kit list of Agincourt fittings is underway as I write.   O0
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #378 on: December 16, 2017, 09:05:52 pm »

Die cast or pewter Bob? I ask because if the former, they would be stronger given that Mazak (Die casting alloy) is stonger than pewter in most forms excepting where the harder pewter alloys are also quite brittle. The parts I have got from Deans have so far all been pewter, a material I work with weekly at several levels cast in rubber moulds.

I am not being picky, it is just that, as mentioned above, Mazak would be great for certain parts.

The book on Monitors has thrown up so many interesting extra details for M19 over the last year or so that the model will be almost unrecognisable from the parent kit! So Agincourt will be bursting with details  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #379 on: December 16, 2017, 10:28:09 pm »

"Die cast" as in a hot metallic component poured into a centrifugal machine that can cast many items at once.  As I understand it the spinning expels air bubbles and drives the hot metal outwards to fill the moulding cavities.  Not sure what metal is used, but the various machines used look very impressive.

At least I will not have to 3D model it and send an STL file for 3D printing such a large quantity, and die cast parts will be inherently stronger.

I will carry on hand crafting the 34 booms.  Carbon fibre tube plus various brass wire sizes and small pieces of 3mm heat-shrink.
The hull mountings are 4mm threaded eyes with 5mm deadeyes sliced across.  I have a little production line with a micro h/shrink gun. 
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Agincourt build - Devil in the Detail
« Reply #380 on: January 05, 2018, 10:43:47 am »

Devil in the Detail

As many of you know I am a sucker for detail.  Had I found a clearer picture of the joint at the bottom of the torpedo net booms I would have been content to build much simpler representative booms.  However, the technical illustrations in “Anatomy of a Ship” meant I could not proceed without going the full monte, including fittings and brailing davits.

On the hull 4mm eyes with 5mm deadeyes sliced in half to form base joints.  3mm carbon fibre tube for the boom, with brass wire detail at the ends, and 3.1 I/D heat-shrink over the boom ends. Finally, some fiddly straps formed from litho-plate, plus stowage chocks carved from ABS section.  A dumb move as there are 34 booms that kept me amused for weeks.  I needed a large supply of disposable lighters for my micro heat-shrink gun, but when the first batch arrived they were too small so I had to order another lot.

A large pile of part completed booms

First booms being installed.

I am currently assembling the 34 booms onto the hull.  There will be a lot of cables involved with their deployment, plus the roll of netting of course.  The netting will not go on the shelves until after spray painting. 

Yes, thoroughly O.T.T., but given the detail info it’s what I tend to do.

PS:  My complex 4 Buhler motor system with four ACTion electronics units system runs sweet as a nut, as I knew it would.
Special thanks to Dave M and Component Shop for their technical advice and super prompt delivery.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #381 on: January 05, 2018, 11:03:15 am »

Wow Bob - looking good

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #382 on: January 05, 2018, 11:36:01 am »

Stunning detail Bob

You’ve got me interested in my Prince George torpedo net protection again. Lots and lots of interest now!  :-)) :-)) ok2
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #383 on: January 05, 2018, 11:58:23 am »

Bob you going to alley pally?
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #384 on: January 05, 2018, 12:22:51 pm »

Bob you going to alley pally?

Sorry, physically impossible due to my dodgy legs and the snooker finals being held there.  I could no more scale that hill again than Mount Everest.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #385 on: January 05, 2018, 12:28:27 pm »

Don’t worry Klunk I’ll be there on the Saturday with Steve. We can go and get Phil! :}
Nick B

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #386 on: January 05, 2018, 01:42:13 pm »

Lol. Will see what i can do then!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #387 on: January 05, 2018, 02:42:52 pm »

?  Unsure as to what that question was about?

Anyway, all 34 torpedo net booms finally fitted.  Sure is a lot of them.  Top shackles were challenging to mount.

Apart from commencing on the basic superstructure islands, I am getting fairly close to the point when I need to start work on the turret mountings - on which all else depends.  These will be technically complicated with both TARGET bearing control system and the actual gun smoke firing equipment. 

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #388 on: January 05, 2018, 03:37:23 pm »

?  Unsure as to what that question was about?

Don’t worry about it bob, I’m going to Alexandria Palace show and klunk is too when he asked yourself.

Keep up the good work. I’m considering using the same materials for my booms too :-))
Nick B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #389 on: January 05, 2018, 09:39:15 pm »

Fret not Bob, I think they was gibbering  %%

Those booms are so detailed that I will one day refer to these photos to build mine from when building Achilles.

Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #390 on: January 05, 2018, 09:57:38 pm »

Oops,  my passion for over detailing may have started a "boom" in model torpedo protection ?

Maybe I should make some progress on the secondary armament internals.  Can't fix the decks down till the turret internals done, and can't plank the decks until the decks are secured.  Same with the superstructure. 

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #391 on: January 05, 2018, 10:04:23 pm »

That's a rather neat execution of the Boom Nets Bob >>:-(.... will the Carbon Fibre tube surface need any special priming prior to actual painting?

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #392 on: January 06, 2018, 09:22:34 am »

Thank you Derek.  I am hoping the carbon fibre parts will not need special treatment, other than the usual thorough washing to degrease, then careful application of a fine scouring pad before the Halfords grey primer rattle cans.  Same as the fibre glass.  The tubes have already been lightly abraded prior to installing the detail on them.

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #393 on: January 06, 2018, 10:20:07 am »

Really impressive work on the booms - great attention to detail!
Work in progress and RN history on Instagram @beagleshipmodels

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Agincourt build - six inch guns
« Reply #394 on: January 09, 2018, 06:50:43 pm »

Six Inch Guns

HMS Agincourt carried 20 six inch guns as secondary armament, fourteen of them in casemate embrasures.  Ten of these protrude up to 30 mm outside the hull lines and are therefore very liable to damage on a model.  I had considered casting them in fairly stiff rubber, but in the end came up with this solution instead.

Separate ply platforms made up inside the hull with 16 diameter neoprene “bar” to represent the visible facing of the gun mount.  Additional sections of 5 mm neoprene sheet for the angled internal side facings.  Next I opted for aluminium tube fitted into the neoprene gun mount as this would be light, less likely to snap off, and the neoprene providing a degree of shock protection.  Another advantage is that individual barrels are readily replaceable. 

Four thickness of K&S tubing used.  3/16 inch dia x 3 inches long for the barrel, 7/32 inch dia for the ticker part of the barrel near the gun mount, and short lengths of 5/32 and 3/16 inch to reduce the I/D of the muzzle end.

Gun in neoprene mount

Assembled casement

I just need to assemble the remainder of the gun mountings in the hull and hull-step positions, the same as above.  The barrel is fairly firm, but able to take slight knocks without damage.  A lot of barrel sticking out all the same, so I needed a reasonable solution.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #395 on: January 09, 2018, 07:57:22 pm »

The added benefit of using the smaller diameter tube at the muzzle is that it creates the slightly protruding inner tube.

I like the idea especially as the initial untidiness of having to cut rubber is hidden neatly inside the casemates.

I bet that is a headache behind you? Good for you Bob.
Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #396 on: January 10, 2018, 07:38:20 pm »

Six Inch Guns

Fourteen of the 20 six inch guns are now fitted into the hull using the shaped neoprene mountings described yesterday.  The detail inside the casemates does not show very clearly as both the gun mount facing and angled plates are in black Neoprene.  They will show better when all sprayed grey.

Foremost six inch guns

Detail showing the four guns on the step deck

The remaining six guns are mounted in the superstructure, which will probably be my next area of construction. 
At least it is starting to look like a WW1 Battleship, bristling guns like a porcupine.   :}

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #397 on: January 10, 2018, 09:31:14 pm »

Seeing that has filled my entusiasm tanks to the brim Bob! Capital ships are beautiful  O0 I love those booms very very much.
Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #398 on: January 10, 2018, 10:14:18 pm »

Thank you Sir, appreciated.  These ships were built to impress with power, to look dangerous.  Unlike a modern Type 45 with almost no detail to speak of - but of course a Type 45 can do far more damage at much greater range.  They just look flat and unthreatening in comparison though.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Agincourt build - Aft superstructure
« Reply #399 on: January 24, 2018, 04:08:25 pm »

Aft Superstructure

I am nearing the point where I cannot get much further without first trial fitting the barbettes with all the yummy gun fire and bearing control circuitry.  So I have made a start on the aft superstructure island.  To keep the weight down this is mainly in 1.2 mm ply for the vertical surfaces and 4 mm balsa for the horizontals.

Because the aft superstructure has to align in several planes with the two aft deck panels I was compelled to ‘nail down’ both the rear deck panel and the continuation of the foredeck panel.  I was trying to leave that until after sorting out the barbettes, although all the 12 inch guns are in lift off panels.

Main difficulty was in needing to refer between 3 very large plan sheets with the model filling my workbench, plus the plans show her after RN conversion.  ie: No aft tripod or boat deck.

A tricky bit of alignment as the centre hatch runs through this six sided island, and aligns with three verticals between the decks step, hence having to secure the aft decks first.  Cut-outs made for the apertures for various gun types.  To make things interesting the front face is curved, plus the after tripod mast rises through the island’s balsa decks.

A lot of detail still to add, namely the aft funnel; another couple of decks, more guns, and completing the tripod base. 

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.