Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: HMS Agincourt build project  (Read 160744 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: HMS Agincourt build project
« Reply #400 on: January 25, 2018, 10:30:32 pm »

Crikey,those 6 inch guns poke out everywhere! They must have been a handful to even try and control. The doors look great.
Pond weed is your enemy

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #401 on: January 25, 2018, 10:38:10 pm »

Main difficulty was in needing to refer between 3 very large plan sheets with the model filling my workbench

Bob, have you considered scanning or copying the plans in sections ? you could then just pin up the relevant part you're working on - just a thought :-)
I know from your postings that your space is limited. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #402 on: January 25, 2018, 11:46:21 pm »

Really good work going on here Bob. Reminds me to get a move on with my Invincible project! :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Agincourt build - Aft superstructure
« Reply #403 on: January 26, 2018, 07:54:41 am »

Aft Superstructure

Ray:  That is a good idea.  Thanks.   At present I am part-unrolling plans across the forward deck, but once I start on the main superstructure island I will have nowhere left to unroll them on. 

ballastanksian:  The uppermost guns are the first of the four inch, although more six inch are mounted in the forward superstructure, which will be more intricate to build.  I have to keep re-reading the tech info, and have discovered that the two six inch guns mounted on deck alongside that structure were added after the RN conversion, so “only” 18 six inch as-built.  Handy, as these were uniquely mounted with open rear gun shields, unlike all the others which were in casemates. 

Nick:  I am looking forward to seeing more progress on your Invincible, especially any tips on superstructure building.

I may need to make a start on the main superstructure soon due to certain commonalities such as funnels and tripod masts.

HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #404 on: January 26, 2018, 08:48:14 pm »

Does anyone make this type of Six inch as a kit?
Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #405 on: January 26, 2018, 10:32:37 pm »

Not as far as I know Iain, although Dean's may include it on their semi-kit fittings list for Agincourt which is due out soon.  The extra two 6 inch MkXIII (with open rear gun shields) were fitted after the RN takeover of this vessel, so in my case I will not be fitting those as I am building it to the as-built spec.  The rest of the 18 six inch guns are casemate mounted so I just had to make up barrels for them.

I have now made a start on the main superstructure island, which will be a fairly challenging fabrication exercise.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #406 on: January 27, 2018, 09:16:33 pm »

I'm looking forward to that Bob  :-)
Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Agincourt build - Gun fire
« Reply #407 on: January 29, 2018, 02:30:35 pm »

Gun Fire System

I was greatly inspired by the awesome gun fire system developed by Geoff for his beautiful HMS Iron Duke.  So much so that I wanted to replicate it on Agincourt.  We had a long chat at Wicksteed, and several times since.  My problem is that I do not have a lathe or other equipment for turning the metal parts for the pump system and heat exchanger blocks.  Geoff very kindly offered to make these for me, and said he wants a ship to fire back at him at the next Mayhem event.  O0

I sourced the thermistor heaters, servos and special fog fluid.  Geoff said he would make the other essential parts that I did not have the equipment to reproduce from his detailed drawings and description.  This week he contacted me to say he had built four barbettes with fully working pumps, reservoirs etc.

O.M.G  When I visited him on Sunday he had produced four barbette inners, complete with all the essentials of the firing system. We fitted the servos plus the bosses to mount the stepper motors concentrically.  Here are some photo’s.

(L) Barbette assy.  (R) Underside of barbette with stepper motor boss.  (F) Inner frame with brass pump, servo, and fill tube.

(R) Barbette with f/glass hood, (F) Thermistor, heat exchange block and barrel inner

The servo pumps a small quantity of fog fluid from the base reservoir up to the heat exchanger, vaporises it, and expels it under pressure from the gun barrel inner.  The pump, with two ball bearings acting as valves, lies just under the level of fog fluid in the base reservoir.

Geoff you are a real hero  :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #408 on: January 29, 2018, 08:39:28 pm »

What a gentleman  8) Geoff deserves at least one bacon roll on Sunday Morning at Wicksteed this year! It's such an elegant system.
Pond weed is your enemy

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #409 on: January 29, 2018, 11:35:42 pm »

Su-flippin'-perb.  :-))

That's the bar raised, I think. Carry on ... I'm agog.

Andy

Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Agincourt build - Main Superstructure
« Reply #410 on: February 10, 2018, 01:59:16 pm »

Main Superstructure

The construction method seems to work OK,  The aft superstructure, as far it got in reply #400, is very strong yet only weighs 68 gm.

The main superstructure is larger and more intricate than the aft island, the principle construction feature being the circular conning citadel which I built first.  This was formed around a 2 inch dia alloy tube former.  Several thicknesses of 0.020” Plasticard to make up the profile.  Next was the 4mm balsa lower platforms to support the 1.2mm ply vertical panels. 

So far this has taken more time than the aft structure.  Getting the build sequence right is vital, however, I had glued the sides to the base before realising I had not cut out the gun embrasures.  Doh !!!

Photo is the first three decks, 2 x six inch guns and 4 x four inch guns, plus conning citadel. 
Rough shaped so far, weight just 145 gm including guns.

Several more decks to go above this, plus main tripod mast, and of course funnel (I look forward to the funnels!).

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #411 on: February 10, 2018, 10:02:15 pm »

I look forward to see these in progress.

You are making great progress Bob, the superstructure basis looks nice.
Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #412 on: February 11, 2018, 02:01:03 pm »

Tight for space

Things are getting tricky.  I cannot fix the two superstructure islands in place as I would be left with nowhere to work.  Without the superstructure the conjoined hulls looks a bit like HMS Furious, with two thirds of a ‘flat top’ that I can use with a sheet of ply over as a temporary workbench. 
Once I mount the superstructure on however . . .

So, temporary pegs to position them, then remove and store.  It feels like building an airship in the airing cupboard.  The plan is to complete each island with its own tripod mast, funnel, and additional decks as separate builds, then remove them and start work on the barbette outers.  After that will be C-3PO's Arduino turret bearing electronics, then marry them up to Geoff’s barbette gunfire innards.  This will be the first ever T.A.R.G.E.T. bearing system, plus only the second example of Geoff's unique gunfire system.

Eventually I will get around to the deck planking, then Ron Dean’s semi-kit fittings list when that becomes available, but for now I must concentrate on the gunnery controls.  Mostly all scratch building, and Wicksteed is coming up fast  %%

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #413 on: February 11, 2018, 06:26:52 pm »

so bob, your making a seperate deck area yo turn it into a what if ship with a flight deck. an interesting concept!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #414 on: February 11, 2018, 06:55:36 pm »

Just for you Klunk, temporary ply worktop (flight deck) with Dragon Rapide   {-)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #415 on: February 11, 2018, 07:04:44 pm »

Just a thought have a read of ‘Far Aft and Faintly’ by Mark Klimaszewski which was advertised in Model Boats magazine last year for a Lion/Princess Royal hybrid battlecruiser aircraft carrier project by the Dutch and used in WW2. A Fleetscale 1/128 scale hull, two 13.5inch gun turrets and a flight deck... just one of my future plans one day!!! ok2
Nick B

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #416 on: February 11, 2018, 07:04:49 pm »

I think you should do it
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #417 on: February 11, 2018, 09:58:02 pm »

Anyway, happily sidetracked, brilliant work Bob :-))
I’ve been busy wiring up my Invincible and busy buying some PTC thermistors on Geoff’s advice. I think you know which will be the third model with Geoff’s patent firing gun system! %)
Nick B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #418 on: February 11, 2018, 10:04:24 pm »

But Adamant did not have any armament. (Chortle  :} )

Do put up photos of your turret firing system chaps as it will be useful to see the variations in building styles and if you make any modifications/adaptions to Geoff's original design (Not that there need be, but smaller turrets may need a thought or two on making things fit.)
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #419 on: February 11, 2018, 10:08:20 pm »

But Adamant did not have any armament. (Chortle  :} )

Do put up photos of your turret firing system chaps as it will be useful to see the variations in building styles and if you make any modifications/adaptions to Geoff's original design (Not that there need be, but smaller turrets may need a thought or two on making things fit.)

Will do, I’m still collecting/buying the various bits and pieces that Geoff recommends. Looking forward to trying it once everything arrives. :-))
Nick B

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #420 on: February 12, 2018, 08:31:03 am »

Bob,

Nice progress, don't forget to cut slots in the conning tower so the crew can see out!

Cheers

Geoff

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #421 on: February 12, 2018, 09:12:57 am »

Geoff,

Certainly.  There is a sighting hood to go on top, a bit like a submarine conning dome.  Your gunnery system is generating even more interest.  Nick want to replicate it on his HMS Invincible. 

Not a huge amount of info on the two decks above what I have rough modelled so far, and aligning the tripod mast elements through them will prove interesting.

Bob K

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #422 on: February 12, 2018, 09:30:35 am »

Bob,

I've given quite a lot of thought to tripod masts as I have two to make on Invincible. If they are made of brass tube then the legs could be cut at each deck level to take measurements with an inner brass tube inserted afterwards to make the whole thing rigid and keep alignment.

This would allow each deck level to be cut and measured accurately for the holes and then the whole thing assembled afterwards. A bit like a telescopic tube but with the outer level always being the same diameter.

The weight would be minimal but if of concern alloy tube could be used and glued or even plastic tube.

Cheers

Geoff

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #423 on: February 12, 2018, 06:04:35 pm »

Geoff,

An excellent suggestion. Mine will go through 2 or 3 lower superstructure decks that are already in place, but I was trying to figure out how to accurately go through the smaller decks above.  For the lower decks I will pierce through with piano wire then open out to fit.  To build upwards I will use thin ply to use the method you suggest.
PS: I am using dowel for the vertical members and Plastruct tubes for the angled ones.  Least weight.

Thank you

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #424 on: February 12, 2018, 09:35:02 pm »

I keep forgetting that top weight isn't such a problem, it is over all weight you are watching Bob. I was thinking 'would brass tube be that heavy on a hull with over 20 kilos of ballast?' and then remembered the 0ver 20 kilos of ballast!

I will watch your development of the masts with great interest (well I am watching everything you do as such!)

Pond weed is your enemy

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.