Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Agincourt build project  (Read 160746 times)

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Agincourt build project
« Reply #525 on: April 24, 2018, 12:55:45 pm »

Just a thought - when did they start painting boot toppings on ships, I've seen photos of Dreadnought with and without!

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #526 on: April 24, 2018, 01:05:13 pm »

HMS Agincourt had a wide black line at the waterline, shown on the plans and in photos.
Difficulty painting it as it is on a slightly raised section of the moulding, and the sheer size of the hull.
So far hand applied the black "coach line", now just some minor touch ups along the raised lip edge corners.
Fiddly  :((                                                                                             
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Agincourt build - Painting
« Reply #527 on: April 28, 2018, 04:03:30 pm »

Painting

Hand painting the boot-top black between the grey and red areas has been challenging, but seems to have come out OK after some minor touch-ups afterwards.  The main difficulty being the sheer size of each hull half.  Using stands of different heights avoided using steps.

Luckily Halfords did touch up pen brushes for the grey primer, and although they no longer sell similar for the red I was able to get some on EBay.

Now I can add the fine trimmings.  With 4mm punch pliers I cut out porthole windows in a darker grey transparent sheet and stuck the discs on.  Next was floating the PE 5mm brass lettering for the ships name on each side of the stern using varnish as Geoff suggested. 

The finish will be potentially vulnerable until I could cover it with a couple of light coats of PlastiKote satin varnish.  Although EU regs have stopped them making this in polyurethane I had already got in a good stock before they did.
Then the hull be handleable and I can continue work on the superstructure.

HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #528 on: April 28, 2018, 05:44:38 pm »

More . . ..

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #529 on: April 28, 2018, 08:58:13 pm »

I'm falling in love Bob  :-))

Pond weed is your enemy

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #530 on: April 28, 2018, 11:15:25 pm »

Bob,

I've made the other three turret connectors for you but you will need to fin some m3 x 0.5 screws as i'm out! Next thing is how to get them to you!

Cheers

geoff

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #531 on: April 29, 2018, 08:04:31 am »

Geoff,  You are a real star sir.   :-))

I had sent you an email on Friday, but that may be to your work email?
The bosses from China arrived much earlier than "by the 9 June!" delivery quoted.  They are quite small though.

The screws are no problem.  I will email you my address.

Bob K

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #532 on: April 29, 2018, 02:01:02 pm »

I'm falling in love Bob  :-))

run bob run.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #533 on: April 29, 2018, 03:01:29 pm »

Best laid plans when deadlines are wooshing up on my inside . . . . {:-{

As stated before I had four new unused cans of Plastikote clear satin polyurethane varnish to seal the finish on the hull halves.  Took the first new can, two minutes of vigorous rattling, went to press the button for the first spray pass .....  Nothing !  Duff can.  The same with the second, third AND fourth  <*<

They had been stored nicely in a cupboard indoors for around nine months.  Boy, I am teed off !
I managed to source some more from Amazon, but most of the week ahead is forecast rain.

Basically, not a lot I can do until the hull halves are handleable.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #534 on: April 29, 2018, 10:13:34 pm »

Is there no way they can be re pressurised? I presume they are full of useful varnish, but the pressure has gone, or was never there in the first place?

Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #535 on: April 29, 2018, 10:21:07 pm »

I am sure the pressure is still there.  I've even tried soaking the spray caps in Polycleanse.
Maybe there is a maximum shelf life?

2 new cans on their way.
Normally very good stuff, used it on every boat.  When fully dry provides a hard scratch resistant coat.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #536 on: April 30, 2018, 12:47:27 am »

I understand you note they were new/unused cans Bob, however I store by soaking nozzles in IPA from both new/unused and partially used cans

Possibly the worst thing to do is insert/place the cans nozzle valve on any packs that are planned for storage

Have not encountered any problems with Rustolium or the VHT range of spray packs in this way

Even with higher ambient temperatures in OZ, on colder days [20-] I place a spray can in direct sunlight for 30 minutes

This does increase the cans temperature contents by 3 or 4 degrees C...placing the spray can in warm water for a similar time would help elevate the temperature

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #537 on: April 30, 2018, 12:12:19 pm »

PlasitiKote arrived from Amazon.  Absolutely no problems.  Worked exactly like on previous boat finishes.

No idea what was wrong with those other four cans, especially after being stored in a cupboard indoors, CH controlled to 19 degrees. 

Well, now I can progress with the build  O0

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #538 on: April 30, 2018, 02:18:59 pm »

I've got two cans that worked perfectly when new but stopped when left on the shelf for a while. (Yes I did clear the nozzle after use.) Never touch the stuff now  >>:-(
Don't Assume Check

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #539 on: April 30, 2018, 04:03:53 pm »

As with most rattle cans it is always best to give it an inverted blast when finishing so the nozzle remains clear.
When using matt finishes a protective coating is essential to protect against finger marks, pond and rain water dirt.

Tomorrow, when the finish is hardened, I will start on the barbette structures with stepper bracketry and electronics box mountings. 

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #540 on: May 01, 2018, 11:33:02 am »

A gentleman over here, someone with 25 + years as a supplier and manufacturer of model parts, just had a rattle can explode in his face, taking an eye, fracturing bones and causing severe lacerations. Please use extreme caution when and if attempting to heat a rattle can. Please remember that they are full of explosive gases.
Jonathan

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #541 on: May 01, 2018, 01:17:33 pm »

Obviously, no one should attempt to heat a rattle can.  Mine had been stored at room temperature in an indoors cupboard.

Anyway, all done.  Finish is now nicely protected.  Back to the turret mechanics

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #542 on: May 01, 2018, 11:01:16 pm »

I hope the gentleman recovers quickly. A chap on YouTube was using a blow torch periodically to warm a gas canister as it was freezing up.

He does many videos making madcap machines and suchlike, and though he made videos that date after this one meaning that he survived, I was wondering whilst watching whether he went up in a steel encrusted ball of flame.

While I would question his take on safety, he does a god job of explaining his builds, and does not drone on like so many other video makers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKpMQlVu1As  (2:10) I did expect it to go horribly wrong  :((

How is progress Bob?
Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Agincourt build - Turret mountings
« Reply #543 on: May 08, 2018, 01:09:34 pm »

Turret Mountings

Most of what is being worked on right now will be largely hidden inside the hull.
Seven sets of stepper motor mountings, 2mm ply platforms with shaped hardwood mounting blocks, curve to suit inside face of barbette.  I had to make a jig for this as they need to be dimensionally accurate.  ie: Stepper spindle exactly on turret inner shell centreline.  Minimal space either side of platforms to allow turret wiring to curve around and through.

And then Disaster

So little space to work on this monster in this tiny workshop.  To use part of the worktop for turret mounting work I have had to stand each hull half on end on small step stools. Very handy for the hull that has the protruding brass latch bar.  Anyway, I have to keep moving the hulls around as I squeeze around them.
As I moved past the fore end I must have caught something on one the gun barrels, and CRASH, over it went.  Sprung most of the ply deck panel, and the casement inserts, plus ripped out four of the net booms.
Suffice to say repairs cost me two and half days I could ill afford to lose.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #544 on: May 08, 2018, 04:15:24 pm »

Hi Bob,

Looking good - sorry to hear about your set back.

Can Martin put the snow covered logo back and we can have Mayhem @ Wicksteed in May December? - Maybe we would be ready by then...

Sure it will all be worth it...

C-3PO

I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #545 on: May 08, 2018, 04:22:31 pm »

I can try the 'restore from backup' option C-3PO .... but I don't think that works on dreadnought on let than Windows 7!     %)

Feel for you Sir Bob. what was the 1st thing you did?
Swear, cry, scream, kick / throw something?!!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #546 on: May 08, 2018, 04:43:02 pm »

Ready or not the Beast From The East South will be coming to Wicksteed !
I had previously thought the days grew rapidly shorter in December ?  Wrong  >:-o

When the hull went over, smack onto the point of the bow, was more of a   <*<  >>:-(  <:(  :police: moment.

Anyway, time pressing on.  I have just ordered a load of wiring, fuse holders, etc from Comp. Shop.
I need to start sequentially charging up batteries too.  But before that the fiddly wiring up of ten barrel LED's, and yes I will have to file the base ridges off the LED's so they will muzzle-load - after I've wired them of course.

On the 26th you may find me asleep with my finger on the fire button.  I am tired already !

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #547 on: May 08, 2018, 05:07:10 pm »

I am tired already !

Know that feeling Bob - never had blisters from over use of wire cutters before - this is the debris from construction of 7 x Turret Control Units and still got 3 boards to go...

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #548 on: May 08, 2018, 05:18:43 pm »

Ha, ha! As we large battleship builders get into the special effects and scale detail its quite daunting the enormous amount of time and effort that goes into making one of these models, not to mention the financial cost and the debris that ensures!

Its just like the real thing!

Sometimes I get demoralised at how much there is left to do on a large model as at times it just seems endless!

Its all a significant emotional and capital investment (hence capital ships) which stretches our skill sets in all sorts of unanticipated directions and creates a huge mess. I usually have to stop when I've worked myself into a corner and there is no space to work on anything!

But its fun!!  :-) :-)

Geoff

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Agincourt build - LEDs
« Reply #549 on: May 08, 2018, 08:08:18 pm »

Thanks for your appreciated support and encouragement gentlemen   O0

How did the R.N. build the prototype HMS Dreadnaught in less than a year?  Beats me.
I expect it to take a month just to do the deck planking, and two weeks more for the stancheons, but that is months away still. 

LED Wiring

I now have LED's in all four firing turrets.  Not too fiddly, apart from filing down the LED "ledge" so it fits in the muzzle.  I wouldn't have to do this with 13.5 inch guns, but 12 inch are smaller.

The non firing turrets should be easier, although they have two LED's each, wired in parallel.

Running all the wiring distributed down the outside of the inner barbettes. To keep it tight in I intend using clear Gorilla Tape.  Heck, it is a very close fit, and will be even closer where it all exits around the stepper motor bracketry. 
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28   Go Up

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 22 queries.