Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: HMS Agincourt build project  (Read 160801 times)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Agincourt build - Hull latching
« Reply #600 on: June 09, 2018, 09:01:04 pm »

Hull Latching

Despite the inter hull latching mechanism being inside a coffer dam, the latching bar is still close to the waterline.  With battery weights now reduced the square bar should be well clear, but to protect it further I carefully dremeled a circular U groove to half embed a one inch diameter O ring, embedded in epoxy.  Thus the clamping latch has a sealing ring around it which the the hull face clamps against.

The latch mechanism is very effective and easy to use, but unfortunately the stepper motor under turret #3 fouls on it when latched, even after cutting away part of the latch handle.  I need to redesign this to allow the deck assembly to fit fully flush.  This will involve a bespoke latch, rather than utilising a stock item.

Thinking cap on.   It's going to need a latch that goes around the stepper motor.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: HMS Agincourt build project
« Reply #601 on: June 10, 2018, 12:30:51 pm »

Having seen the bloke on Project binky (YouTube Austin Mini project series) cut lumps out of his new front chassis and then rebuild and weld bits in, I imagine that you could make a new latch to weld onto the stump of the old one and retain the strength required to make it workable.

I am pleased that you have managed to modify 'Court' to improve movement and turning  :-)) T'is a bloomin nuisance about that motor poking into the latch  >:-o
Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Agincourt build - New latch
« Reply #602 on: June 12, 2018, 08:38:26 pm »

It is indeed a nuisance Ian, but that is development into the unknown.

Hull Latching

As depicted in the picture below, even cutting away part of the latch handle was insufficient to clear the bottom of the #3 turret stepper motor. I had considered cutting away part of the 3mm thick under shoe as well but it was still going to be very close.  The latch clamps the two hull halves together.

I decided to bite the bullet and use a shorter latch mechanism mounted further back, with the threaded rod extended using an M6 threaded spacer.  No, I was not going to get involved with welding etc.

The new latch was secured using M5 nutserts, epoxied in position.  The new assembly clears the stepper motor allowing the deck panel to fit properly flush.

New battery

The new 12v 7Ah LifePO4 battery weighs only 960gm, so I discarded the two 12V 9Ah SLA’s weighing in at 5.2Kg after measuring just under 4A for the four Buehler motors running full speed in water.  Agincourt now sits with her waterline just above water.  This will allow for completing the superstructure, tripod masts, and detailing.

Some expensive mistakes made in battery selection, but that’s the cost of developing something so radically large.  There is a lot of ancillary weight on board, namely 3Kg for the four motors, 4Kg of joining tubes, and some very thick bulkheads to support them.
Six batteries in all fitted, totalling 8Kg.  The ultra light LiFePO4 was a life saver.

Weather permitting she will be going to Black Park Lake on Sunday.  I think I have the propulsion system effective now with much larger props, and she should turn with greatly enlarged rudder.

HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #603 on: June 12, 2018, 09:22:26 pm »

The batteries you have discarded should have resale value as I am sure you kept them topped up.

That was a good idea for the latch and has saved lots of cutting and redesign of the hull and it's internals beyond that needed immediately for mounting the latch.

Onwards and upwards Bob  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
Re: HMS Agincourt build - New latch
« Reply #604 on: June 12, 2018, 09:36:25 pm »

Weather permitting she will be going to Black Park Lake on Sunday.  I think I have the propulsion system effective now with much larger props, and she should turn with greatly enlarged rudder.

Bob - looking good - pleased you have found a solution - when you next take her out any chance of a fellow club member taking some video to post on here?

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #605 on: June 12, 2018, 10:43:41 pm »

That would be excellent.
Pond weed is your enemy

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #606 on: June 12, 2018, 11:15:47 pm »

Neccesity is the mother of all invention........according to some bloke named Plato........whoever he is %)
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Agincourt Trials - The Movie
« Reply #607 on: June 17, 2018, 01:42:40 pm »

Sailing

Agincourt went to Black Park Lake today, her home port. 
Hopefully the modifications to propellers, rudder and lighter batteries, would make all the difference.
The modified ship transporter did the short journey from car to water admirably, even with a fully laden payload on board.

On the water

The two halves were assembled at the waters edge using the three stainless connecting tubes and toggle latch clamping the two ends.  With assistance from a fellow club member she was lowered into the water.

First thoughts:  Now almost exactly on the waterline, thanks to replacing the two huge SLA batteries with the single 960gm LiFePO4 of 12V 7Ah. 
The toggle latch bar hole is now an inch above the waterline, and with an embedded O ring for extra security.  No visible water ingress.  Gently ahead, props now moving her well.  Once clear of the bank full throttle. 
Now that’s more like it!. 

A realistic turn of speed with the much larger props fitted. The Buehler motors with rubber couplings virtually silent even under load.

Turning was vastly improved with the greatly enlarged rudder, plus mixing on the two outer props 165mm apart.  She can now steer properly in a congested seaway, and stop within a third of her length in an emergency.

After two hours of sailing the Tracer 7Ah battery was still going strong, which was another aim of this trial sailing session. 
Two hours sailing time being a key prerequisite for the new lighter battery arrangement.

I was asked to take a movie.  Here it is.  (Sorry about the shaky quality)  But judge for yourself.  She runs and turns beautifully, and the new battery can run the four Buehler’s for at least two hours.  I am a happy bunny.

The Movie !!!

https://youtu.be/ARyMl7_Qfi0

I feel well relieved that the key parts of this trial proved most successful, in fact better than I had hoped.
Making a 7 foot ship in two parts able to fit in my small car, developing an easy way of assembling the halves at waters edge, and launching it.  The waterline is almost spot on to calculations, allowing for the rest of the superstructure and detailing. And most important it remained watertight.

I can now concentrate on the TARGET electronics and gun fire system at my leisure, whilst starting in earnest on the detailing -  Which is my favourite part of any build.

steve pickstock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #608 on: June 17, 2018, 03:01:19 pm »

Please can you check and repost the link as I can't seem to make it work?

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #609 on: June 17, 2018, 04:07:04 pm »

Great news Bob
You are nearly there
Linc don't work though
mate.
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #610 on: June 17, 2018, 04:12:04 pm »

Strange.  Link works here, and its set to "Public" on YouTube.
It also works copy/pasted into YouTube
Try   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARyMl7_Qfi0&feature=youtu.be

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #611 on: June 17, 2018, 05:13:32 pm »

Sorry Bob but link still not working?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #612 on: June 17, 2018, 05:24:05 pm »

Doesn't work for me either, just a black screen with an exclamation mark on it. Like this: https://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/116483/youtube-has-a-grey-exclamation-mark
Colin

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #613 on: June 17, 2018, 06:45:12 pm »

working perfectly for me  :}

Bob
I will finish this model

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #614 on: June 17, 2018, 07:45:09 pm »

Hopefully the video is now working for everyone, but I can assure you all that Agincourt was very manoeuvrable and despite lacking top hamper, she looks darned regal. Top marks to you Bob for succeeding thus far.
Pond weed is your enemy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #615 on: June 17, 2018, 07:47:59 pm »

Yes, OK for me now. The model looks very responsive and impressive, you seem to have nailed it Bob.
Colin

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #616 on: June 17, 2018, 07:50:26 pm »

Looking good Bob - a great achievement....
C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

steve pickstock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #617 on: June 17, 2018, 08:12:46 pm »

Magic thanks, that looks the dog's danglies, it really does.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #618 on: June 17, 2018, 10:20:19 pm »

Thank you gentlemen.  I appreciate your support and encouragement for this over ambitious build project.
After today I am finally beginning to believe it is all possible. 
I have had one of Geoff's guns firing smoke, and have seen C-3PO's Arduino boxes working the steppers.

Thanks for everyones patience over the last year.  O0

No idea what happened to the video for a while, maybe it needed time to propagate on the YouTube network?

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #619 on: June 17, 2018, 10:47:28 pm »

Just watched it Bob, looks very majestic on the water, all the hard work is paying off.
Look forward to the next phase of the build...... :-))

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Agincourt build - Next stages
« Reply #620 on: June 29, 2018, 11:30:29 am »

Next Stages

After last week’s very successful sailing at Black Park I am now into an extensive planning mode for the next stages of the build.  Completing the electronics make take some time, apart from tidying up wiring, so I need to concentrate on the physical build.

Further to my testing on the new LiFePO4 battery, which easily ran for a full two hour sailing session, I later found the built-in “fuel level” LED’s were still showing a full voltage charge.  Good confirmation that there was plenty in reserve.

Four areas being planned in parallel.  The Admiral’s stern walk structure, to be fabricated from brass rod and copper mesh.  Special care to make the hull jointing strong as it is potentially vulnerable.  (What isn’t on this heavy ship!)

The two sets of tripod masts will need section tubes over thinner cores as they go through numerous decks at angles. 

Torpedo netting.  The fibreglass mesh is tough to roll, even after heating in hot water. I intend using 16AWG black silicon wire as a core and secure with thread before mounting on the net platforms.

Then the funnels, which I am looking forward to.  The trick will be to make them light weight, as well as strong.  With funnels and tripods the superstructure can be further advanced.

Enough to keep me amused for a while.

In case you missed it, sea trials at Black Park
https://youtu.be/ARyMl7_Qfi0[/b]]https://youtu.be/ARyMl7_Qfi0

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #621 on: June 29, 2018, 12:42:13 pm »

Link went wonky - after I had tested it

https://youtu.be/ARyMl7_Qfi0

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #622 on: June 29, 2018, 01:42:34 pm »

Bob,

In the past I have used dressmakers tulle for netting. Its a stiff netting used in dresses. On a practical basis I used a brass rod and wrapped it round in a long spiral, then a single strand of cotton and then another strand spiral going the other way (I tried a long narrow section rolled lengthwise but found it impossible to keep nest),  this keep it all in a neat roll. I then slid the rod out and you have a thin hollow tube of black netting. This was then painted in grey as you don't want it black but a dark grey. It was then glued to the net shelf. In the old days I then uses to run the Arial inside the tube. This brought it outside and was completely invisible.

I intend to use the same process on my Invincible.

Cheers

Geoff

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #623 on: June 29, 2018, 02:29:51 pm »

Geoff,

That sounds a good idea, I will try that.  Struggling a bit with the f/glass fine mesh.

Dean's Marine

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dean's Marine
« Reply #624 on: June 30, 2018, 09:33:21 am »

Hi
Have a look at beekeeper faces netting, very fine and folds and flows easily, I use it on my pre-dreadnought models Regards Deans marine
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28   Go Up

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 22 queries.