Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Agincourt build project  (Read 161508 times)

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Agincourt build project
« Reply #675 on: May 24, 2019, 02:10:58 pm »

Bob,

I seem to recall you are planning on having Agincourt at MBM on Satirday, right as I also plan to bring ID Satirday.

Cheers

Geoff

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #676 on: May 24, 2019, 03:43:12 pm »

Geoff,

I was planning to arrive on Saturday, shortly after 10AM.  I am still having a little trouble with some turrets sticking.  A mechanical issue, nothing to do with 3-CPO's electronics which all tested out superbly on Wednesday.  Not sure if my issue will be resolved by Saturday, time is getting short, but the actual gunfire is awesome, thanks to your servo pump / thermistor system.  Many thanks.

see   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqpJotasUKA&feature=youtu.be
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Agincourt goes to Mayhem
« Reply #677 on: May 26, 2019, 05:50:47 pm »

HMS Agincourt goes to Mayhem

Another key milestone in this long and complex project was achieved at Wicksteed Park on Saturday.  The development of C-3PO’s TARGET bearing control system took a big step forwards on Wednesday when the electronics were fitted and initialised in the front half of the hull.  Previously only the rear half had been fitted out.  At the same time the software in the existing Arduino units was updated to match the latest versions.

A long but pleasant day near Kettering installing got as far as test firing the aft turrets in C-3PO’s garden.  We didn’t quite have time to test fire the guns in the other hull or finish integrating it all together with Wicksteed Mayhem only three days away.

I knew I had a problem with some turrets mechanically “sticking”, but by then knew it was the pump servo lead connectors catching in the top of the barbette, where spare was very tight.  Replacement servos with very long leads arrived, but not in time to fit them for Mayhem.

First run on the Mayhem lake had to be aborted when I realised I had forgotten to add fog fluid to the barbette reservoirs.  A small “kick myself” moment. Guns will not fire without ammo !

After that we did had gun fire and a lot of smoke with flashing orange LED’s, but not from all guns.  Still some work to do, although I am sure this is a minor electrical bug that will be resolved, not a major issue.

The real fun part was in C-3PO’s hidden high power sound system that exactly replicated the sequence of guns as they fired with a slight time delay to add realism.  I am told you could clearly hear it the other end of the lake.  As I am sure that anyone who has operated sound from a boat it becomes inaudible a couple of meters away.  Very low frequency gun sounds only make that worse as it involves shifting a lot of air.

All in all quite a successful day, even with a few issues still to sort out.  We at least were able to exchange gunfire with Geoff’s HMS Iron Duke.  HMS Agincourt moves another key stage closer to combining Geoff’s gun fire design with C-3PO’s TARGET automatic target bearing control system.

HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #678 on: May 26, 2019, 06:04:11 pm »

I look forward to seeing some footage of this in due course Bob! I am very pleased that all your and C3's hard work is finally paying off. All being well, niggles will be un niggled and you can concentrate on the details etc.
Pond weed is your enemy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #679 on: May 26, 2019, 06:40:12 pm »

The noise from C3PO's speaker was literally like thunder. Very effective.
Colin
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.