Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bow Thruster  (Read 2781 times)

FrozenRabbit471

• Full Mayhemer
  • Long may you big jib draw
    • My Instagram
Bow Thruster
« on: May 09, 2017, 03:28:17 am »

Hey all,

What do you all recommend for a bow thruster for my Smit Rotterdam 1:75 build. Im quarter way done planking the hull and figured i should be preparing for that pretty quick. Im aware there are several ways to make one at home, but i prefer to order one.

I am asking what size to order, and from where? I live in Canada and I have discovered several places online in the UK and cant find one anywhere in north America.

A few suggestions and recommendations would be awesome

terry
Better to have it and not want it, than to need it and not have it

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Bow Thruster
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 06:41:25 am »

Hi Terry,

Have a look at CMB web page, it will depend on the size and weight of the model, service is excellent including overseas.

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000029.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2ecornwallmodelboats%2eco%2euk%2f&WD=thruster%20bow&PN=bow_thrusters%2ehtml%23aRAB108_2d01#aRAB108_2d01

Regards,

Rich
Regards,

Rich

T33cno

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 08:54:04 am »

There are a number of solutions on the web but you may have left it too late
http://smit-rotterdam.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/bow-thruster-position.html?m=1

My own solution is on the link to motorhome fun I gave you

Butts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Secretary, Balne Moor Model Boat Club
    • http://balne-moor-model-boat-club.myfreesites.net/
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 09:59:20 am »

I would argue it depends on what you expect of the boat as to whether a thruster is required.

My tugs have home made bow thrusters, but that is because they are designed to tow. 

If you plan only to sail, and especially if you have tank steering, then there is no real need for a bow thruster.  You will find the space quite challenging anyway.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer

T33cno

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 12:05:38 pm »

Just register its free  :-))  and you get 5 posts before you need to pay or remain read only

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 05:45:26 pm »

The Raboesch Bow thrusters work well.
Ordering from Cornwall Model boats is fine and they provide quick service.

The North American retailers would be Harbor Models, or Loyalhannah Dockyard.
Harbor Models has a nice online ordering system.

:-)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 07:26:56 pm »

Hi Terry as has been suggested try the Raboaesh bow thruster. I used one in my Alpine build and it works great. It's a near identical build to yours

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 11:27:24 pm »

I'll go with the Raboesch and Cornwall Model Boats as well. That's what I put in my Smit Nederland rebuild. Easy enough to install once you work out how to scribe the ellipses that are need for the hull openings. Always heart in mouth time when you start cutting big holes like that!

With tank steering and Becker rudders, she turns on the spot anyway, but when towing, a slight push on the thruster will bring the head back round to where I want it to really point! On a single screw tug like the Rotterdam, I'd imagine that the thruster would be of even more use when turning on the spot or in slow speed manoeuvering.
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

T33cno

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 06:07:16 am »

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 09:06:42 am »

Nice kort props, but to be effective they are too small for those nozzles. The blade tips should be about 1mm away from the inside of the nozzle to create the thrust. They will still work and they do look the part, just that when its out of the water others will tell you the same thing over and over - been there got the T shirt :)

T33cno

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 10:06:54 am »

They are a lot closer than the plastic crap supplied by billings  :-))  and this will be built for scale sailing not tugging. Most models will go far far faster than scale so not really an issue Brian

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2017, 09:33:48 am »

And mine has only got the round ended props, so heaven knows what flak I'd get from the 'rivet counters' and 'experts'!  %)

All I know is that mine sails like a dream, and goes way faster than it ever needs to. I just like to dawdle and potter around the lake. It can happily go as fast as I can walk and at that speed the battery will last for hours. Makes for a nice easy walk on a sunny day - with the appropriate stop at the cafe for refreshments (I can still control her from inside!) Apart from anything rather lightweight, like a small barge, it's not going to be doing any real towing.
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2017, 11:44:52 am »

What happened to the guy who was experimenting with 3D printed bow thrusters? they were starting to look very good and i contacted him about buying a couple but lost the postings

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 01:24:07 pm »

Hi Jarvo,

That be me 3D printing thrusters, i have had next set printed but not had proper time to build up and run yet, soon as i do i shall be posting results.
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 03:55:27 pm »

Hi BFG, thanks for the update, hope the new print works for you

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 05:17:46 pm »

And mine has only got the round ended props, so heaven knows what flak I'd get from the 'rivet counters' and 'experts'!  %)

All I know is that mine sails like a dream, and goes way faster than it ever needs to. I just like to dawdle and potter around the lake. It can happily go as fast as I can walk and at that speed the battery will last for hours. Makes for a nice easy walk on a sunny day - with the appropriate stop at the cafe for refreshments (I can still control her from inside!) Apart from anything rather lightweight, like a small barge, it's not going to be doing any real towing.

With a relatively low powered tug with a small prop I found that rounded props were much less likely to get clogged with weed and that a bigger than scale gap between the prop & nozzle also greatly reduced weed problems. Scale gave way to practicality.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.