Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Billings Calypso  (Read 28452 times)

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Billings Calypso
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2007, 04:36:07 pm »

Side planks fitted, I used the supplied deck planks that I'm not using. I thought this would give the plain hull some detail. It looks quite effective when painted. Port holes fitted & anchor fairlead & rivits ( 20 of a 4mm intervals ) also fitted. Now the other side :D

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2007, 05:12:56 pm »

It's coming together nicely O0 Are the motors in their final position or are they still loose? Another question for you, the prop shafts and props, are they the kit versions? They look very quite nice either way!

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2007, 07:23:11 pm »

It's coming together nicely O0 Are the motors in their final position or are they still loose? Another question for you, the prop shafts and props, are they the kit versions? They look very quite nice either way!
Hi motors are in position, I had to move one a little off as they wouldn't fit both straight, doesn't cause any problems though. The Shafts are as supplied, but the props are extra, I got them from S.H.G. Model supplies on 01785 840308 I received excellent service next day delivery.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2007, 02:09:45 pm »

Started to build the lower superstructure. On the plans it shows this as one piece, however I noticed on the real ship, there is a walkway from one side of the ship to the other, this was easily remedied by planking the center section of the main deck, & using some plasti-card making up two extra bulkheads. I've also added two doors to the front bulkhead, as these are present on the real ship & not on the plans. I've also added some door handles & hinges to detail it up a bit.
The rear of the superstructure has to be sanded to fit as there is a slight curve to the deck.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2007, 11:41:11 am »

Finished off the lower superstructure. I added a kick strip around the base, & fitted door handles & hinges to add a bit of detail. sanding & priming / sealing to follow.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2007, 11:38:49 am »

Primed the hull with a primer filler, firstly rubbing down the hull with 240 grit to give a good key. I've added a white primer on the top section to help the white top coat cover easier.

romainpek

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2007, 01:43:13 am »

For your info, this picture of the Calypso was taken on October 11, 2007. She is being tugged from La Rochelle and on her way to Concarneau where she'll be repaired.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2007, 10:34:06 am »

Well I've nearly finished painting the hull, just a bit of touch up here & there. I used Humbrol paints Red No 19, tinted darker with Black No 21, as it was a little bright. White No 22 for the upper hull & Black No 21 for the center section. I used an airbrush for the red, & a good quality brush for the other bits. The inside of the bulwarks will be painted with a light grey, I found that Humbrol No 40 was a good match.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2007, 11:35:38 am »

Made the rear hatch cover today, pretty straight forward. I added some planking & a tarpaulin, as the main hatch was covered when sailing on the original.

kiteman1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2007, 08:00:12 pm »

Hi Dan.Lord

Your Calypso looks pretty good from here. I hope I don't upset you with this comment but I remember a Calypso sinking at Nottingham many years ago in rough water during a Midland Area Regatta.  I was daft enough to go in and recover it with the help of Mike Henton of PMBC who had the brains to stay in the rescue boat!  As I came up with the boat and broke water the weight pushed me down again a bit fast.  It turned out that the stern hatch had no coaming and had warped a little allowing the stern to fill quickly.  The sinking was really lifelike from shore.  The owner was fortunate to get it back with all fittings intact and it sailed again later on that year.     

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2007, 08:56:10 pm »

Hi Dan.Lord

Your Calypso looks pretty good from here. I hope I don't upset you with this comment but I remember a Calypso sinking at Nottingham many years ago in rough water during a Midland Area Regatta.  I was daft enough to go in and recover it with the help of Mike Henton of PMBC who had the brains to stay in the rescue boat!  As I came up with the boat and broke water the weight pushed me down again a bit fast.  It turned out that the stern hatch had no coaming and had warped a little allowing the stern to fill quickly.  The sinking was really lifelike from shore.  The owner was fortunate to get it back with all fittings intact and it sailed again later on that year.     
Hi no not upset at all. there is a coaming around the hatch, but only about 2.5mm tall, also the main hatch is 2mm abs, so hopefully won't warp, also there is lots of extras to put on like heli pad etc, this will help keep it in place.
, so hopefully ( famous last words ) this shouldn't be a problem. All thoughtfull comments / criticisms received with thanks. Dan.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2008, 10:49:21 pm »

Hi all, I've had a break for a few months, but now getting in the mood for another bash. If any of you are interested, here's a pic of the real Calypso, she's been lifted out of the drink, & transfered to the FCRN boat yard in Concarneau, where she will be fully restored. Brilliant if I say so myself.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2008, 10:51:12 pm »

That's good news. I saw her in La Rochelle some years back and she was quite a sorry sight.

captain morgan

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2008, 08:33:18 pm »

Hi all
if anybody is intrested there is a website called rcgroups.com if you go to the forum part and scroll down to model boats,enter the scale section and run through the pages till you find billings calypso thread,this thread has loads of very good info and the things these people have done(includes working heli/sub.I,m building one and I have looked through this and it is brill,hope you all think so.
best regards captain morgan

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2008, 05:15:08 pm »

Have you made any progress with this build lately? I'd be very interested to see it. (I'll also check out the link Captain Morgan posted). I've just myself acquired a second-hand, part built Billings Calypso kit, I bought this with the intention of converting it back to the original BYMS minesweeper (I'm more of a warship fan) - but on receiving the kit, it turned out to be much more complete and not as badly built as I originally thought, so I've decided to build it "out of the box" as Calypso.

Another Calypso-related question I have - what was the type of helicopter carried? The parts Billings provide for this are rather basic (and the clear canopy parts in my 20-year old kit are badly yellowed) and as the scale is 1/48 (one of the standard aircraft modelling scales) I'm wondering if there's a plastic kit available for it.

grzegorz75

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2008, 10:34:40 am »

Hello  8) , it is my ferst big model - Calypso .  More fotos  http://www.kartonwork.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7987&highlight=calypso

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2008, 03:44:49 pm »

Hi Dan

Whats happened to the build ?

We're all waiting for the next installment.  :-\
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2008, 02:35:14 pm »

Hi Dan

Whats happened to the build ?

We're all waiting for the next installment.  :-\

Hi All, well I've had a break of late, been doing other projects etc, starting to get the itch again though, so hopefully soon there will be something to add. Cheers Dan.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2008, 04:26:35 pm »

Hi All, well I've took the plunge & got her out of mothballs. After gluing the lower superstructure in place, & useing a mega clamp on the front section to get the hull to stay in place, I managed to get the front deck glued in situ, & trimmed off the excess abs from the hull. This was a job well done, as getting the front deck on can be a right pain, especialy if the bracing strut is in the wrong place, as it tends to distort the hull. Luckily, it went well & fitted a treat, I say luck, but it could be because I'm brilliant, ( I think luck is more correct ).
Also I've painted the upper deck supports ready to be fitted.
Not much done, but it's a start. Cheerd Dan.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2008, 04:30:06 pm »

Great to see you back on with it Dan.  O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2008, 04:36:32 pm »

colin, she does look like she's in need of some major tlc. 

sad to see such a famous ship in a sad state like that.  monseur cousteau would turn in his grave if he knew what she was like. 

good to see she's getting a full restore.
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

amdaylight

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2008, 05:41:27 pm »

When I saw the first photo of her on the tow line I was shocked,  :( horrified,  >:( mad,  >>:-(. I am also glad to hear that she is going to get a full restoration. O0 And as Ghost in the shell said both Philippe and Jacques Cousteau must be spinning in their graves.

Andre :)

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2008, 11:12:48 am »

Managed to get some more done to the wee beasty. Fitted the upper deck posts, I has to enlarge the holes slightly in the lower decking, to allow the posts to sit a little lower, as the decking I used was slightly thicker than the original that was supplied. I've also decked the front & rear upper decks. As previously stated I've used some pre made decking that I brought from the USA, I really like the finish on this, & it's a real time saver. I used "gel" type cyno from the £1.00 shop to glue it to the decks, & it stuck really well & almost immediately. I pre stained all the edges, in case any glue spilled out, as from a lesson learnt earlier the stain wont take on cyno'd wood !!
I've also added the hatch for the observation chamber at the bows, & also added the gunwhale strip, if thats what it's called, along the entire length of the upper & front decks, this isn't shown in the plans, but is very evident on pictures of the real ship, plus it looks nice too !!

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2008, 05:22:52 pm »

Hi all, well been quite busy with the bridge the last few weeks. The bridge is made from ply, & remembering last time how difficult it was to build, having to steam the ply to get it to bend etc, & also the large amount of paint needed to hide the grain, I decided to use plastic instead. I used the original pieces as templates, & used some 1mm styrene sheet I happened to have from a previous build. This made life a lot easier, & also had a far better finish.
After building the main cabin, I decided to scratch build the interior, including the ships wheel, as the one supplied was for a gallion type vessel. Again straight forward using welding wire. The  telegraphs were supplied by Paul from PPS Ships, and very nice they are too ( Cheers Paul ). The two crew came from George Turner models.
I used the same method for building the rear superstructure.
As you can see I decided to wire in some lights, 6v Grain of wheat type were used, & I'm very pleased with the results, just got to paint over the wires for the nav lights, & tidy up the edges here & there.

barryfoote

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2008, 05:31:01 pm »

She is looking beautiful, a credit to you. Keep the photos coming. I could really be tempted to build a model of her... :-)) :-))
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.