Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Billings Calypso  (Read 28449 times)

ronkh

Re: Billings Calypso
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2009, 08:27:57 pm »

Plenty of sweat & tears though.
I bet but well worth it!!

Dan. That is a lovely build. Glad to see more of it and look forward to some more of her.  :-))

Ron.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2009, 10:52:57 pm »

Thanks for the kind words Ron, I'll try to keep the build going this time. Brought some model filler today to carry on with the vac form bits  Dan.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2009, 02:42:42 pm »

painted the air supply ready for fitting, Also detailed up the diving saucer, I scribed the lines to simulate the joins in the panels with a sharp needle, & scratch built the hatch area to give it a bit more authentic look. & added some headlights lifting loops etc. ready for painting next.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2009, 10:42:55 pm »

Hi if anyone's interested, there are 2 video's on you tube following the restoration of the real Calypso. You need to turn on the captions lower r/h corner for the subtitles.
Makes very interesting viewing. Cheers Dan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnv-ZmArDxA        This is part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT1Lml855vA&feature=channel      This is part 2

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2009, 10:12:51 am »

Finally got the detailing bits n pieces painted & fitted. also painted the diving saucer. All the O2 cylinders, fuel cans, out board motors etc came from Paul at PPS. Many thanks for those, really liven up the boat.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2009, 07:38:12 pm »

Hi all, well been at it again. Made the helicopter, added the cockpit interior from another kit, as it only comes as a shell. This took some fitting, but once in looked the part, even came with several crew !!
also made the decompression chamber, tin boat, & inflatable. The Inflatable, ( which still requires tidying up) is a resin cast one, that I got from Paul at PPS ships, this is very well detailed & much better than the vac form one that comes with the kit, which is void of any detail at all !!.
I've also done the upper deck hand railing out of brass which is included in the kit. One thing about Billings kits the brass fittings are excellent quality. Slowly working forward now, doing all the detailing, I think the light is showing at the end of the tunnel now :-)
Cheers Dan.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2009, 10:14:59 am »

well got a little more done. fitted both inflatable & tin boat, cranes etc. also made bridge railings. I used a grain of wheat bulb to simulate the rear light below the flag, as I couldn't find a bulb small enough to fit inside the brass light supplied. I've painted it to try & resemble a light as best as poss {:-{.
Now in process of painting the oil drums & life raft containers.
More to follow. Cheers Dan.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2009, 12:56:30 pm »

Will this is certainly turning out a museum piece build!  :o
Well done Dan.

Green with envy of Peterboro!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2009, 08:25:42 pm »

Thanks for the kind words Martin, goes along way. I don't know about museum piece, I intend to get her wet (not completely hopefully) If all goes well in the next few wekks.... Watch this space  :D

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2009, 12:58:29 pm »

You've done some very impressive detailing work to the (often rather basic) kit parts! I'll definitely be saving some of these photos as reference for my own build of this kit (and the small Revell 1/125 kit which I also have)

A couple of questions:
- What reference material are you using? I haven't managed to find many close-ups of Calypso, either online or in books.
- Do you know what type of helicopter Calypso carried? Apart from being rather lacking in detail, the fuselage/cockpit parts in my kit are badly yellowed, and I'm wondering if there's a 1/48 scale plastic kit available which would make a suitable replacement.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2009, 03:42:55 pm »

You've done some very impressive detailing work to the (often rather basic) kit parts! I'll definitely be saving some of these photos as reference for my own build of this kit (and the small Revell 1/125 kit which I also have)

A couple of questions:
- What reference material are you using? I haven't managed to find many close-ups of Calypso, either online or in books.
- Do you know what type of helicopter Calypso carried? Apart from being rather lacking in detail, the fuselage/cockpit parts in my kit are badly yellowed, and I'm wondering if there's a 1/48 scale plastic kit available which would make a suitable replacement.

Hi Edward, thanks for the kinds remarks  :embarrassed:
As for reference, I have all the films on DVD so I tralled through all them & got some screen captures etc to help I also have a great book called "Jacque Cousteau's Calypso" & this has many great pics & diagrams.

The Helicopter is a Hughs 300, & unfortinatley no body makes one in a kit form, apart from the very small radio controlled ones, & they arn't very well detailed or correct either.
I have many pics & plans I could send you on DVD if you're interested & I also have a spare helicopter body that came with the kit which you are welcome to . Send me a PM with your e mail address & I'll get back to you.
Cheers Dan.

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2009, 12:54:55 pm »

Thanks for the offer - I've sent you a PM.

According to this page - http://www.sacusa.com/corporate/history.asp - the helicopter is actually a Schweizer 300C (which was based on the Hughes 300)

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2009, 02:39:11 pm »

Managed to get on a bit more over the last week. Made a start on the observation platform, including wiring up the lights. I'm hoping to use a 3 gram micro servo to power the radar, should hopefully be small enough.
Finished off the bow hand railings & painted them, & made a start on the bow mast, again I've use a grain of wheat bulb for the light, now got the fun of threading the wire throught the hull so I can reach it to wire it up.... hopefull some thin welding wire should do.

ronkh

« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2009, 07:46:51 pm »

Very nice :-))

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2009, 09:37:13 am »

Getting on with the observation platform. I've made the radar work by useing a 3 gram micro servo, I removed all the electronics from inside & cut the case down abit , & used the main support legs to solder the wires from the motor to. Not being much of an electronics wizz, I was rather pleased with the results.
I'm going to add a voltage regulator to slow down the rpm, to give it a more realistic speed. I've been told running on 1v will give about 30 rpm.

Here's a link to a short video of it in operation.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1105505#post13027690

snowwolflair

« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2009, 10:00:31 am »

Wht a neat idea.  Im in the process of re-building a Calypso (Ebay salvage) and I was thinking about how to get a realistic radar.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2009, 04:52:54 pm »

Made a shark cage to go on the roof as a bit of extra detailng. All most finished the observation platform, just adding a few extra bits n pieces. Very nearly finished :} now

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2009, 02:02:16 pm »

Well she's just about finished all bar the testing tank for ballast  & trimming then off to the pond for sea , well pond, trials & then hopefully lots of trouble free fun. Here's a small video clip so far.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1107352#post13056204

I hope you have all enjoyed watching the build progress I'll post some pics of her at sea soon. Cheers Dan.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2009, 02:04:17 pm »

Definitely a model to be proud of Dan, well done.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2009, 04:59:18 pm »

Hi all. well she had her mainden voyage today,it was rather windy, but she sailed quite well. Here's a few pics if your interested & a short video clip . Cheers Dan.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1112389#post13128212

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2009, 05:29:25 pm »

Jacques Cousteau would be proud to sail in her Dan.
How would he put it....

"Dan, youu have dune yourshelf prooud. Youu have accomplished the imposssibull and reeecreated the vessul I once luved so much."

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.