Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Billings Calypso  (Read 28451 times)

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
Billings Calypso
« on: August 26, 2007, 12:02:27 pm »

Hi all, I thought I'd start a thread on the build of the Calypso. ( for the second time ) So here's a few shots of the kit as received.
The main hull is abs & void of any detail, but the forming is nice & clean with no cracks splits etc. All the superstructure is made from lazer cut wood & is very clean, although I think I'll replace this with plasti card, as with my last build I found it very difficult to hide the wood grain even after several coats of primer & sanding, plasti card is also lighter.
two large plans are included one being a full size drawing, the other general build plan. typical with Billings I found the instructions to be rather vague to say the least, & you are expected to work out lots for your self, but with studying the drawings this doesn't prove to be to much of a challenge.
The brass fittings I think are excellent very clean crisp fittings & lots of detailing + lots of fittings hopefully none of which will get lost !!
There is also a couple of sheets of vac formed bits & bobs & several bundles of wood strip for the decking & rubbing strakes ( if thats the correct term, Bunkerbardge please correct if I'm wrong ) Again plenty included.
A small quantity of injection moulded parts for the heli deck & mast lookout position grace the kit too.

Well thats about it for the intro, I'll post some more pics & words as the build continues, or should I say starts !! All the best Dan.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Billings Calypso
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 12:55:12 pm »

This gonna be good!  I've always wanted to see one of these being built. O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 01:33:58 pm »

This gonna be good!  I've always wanted to see one of these being built. O0
Well thank you. I hope I don't disappoint you all !!

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 02:01:03 pm »

My mate brought his in to me and told me to fix it, he had lost it in the dam on turning while the ballast was way out,
They are quite a good model and look good on the water when sailing and ballasted correctly...........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 06:27:05 pm »

Sorry to see your mates Calypso playing submarines, such a shame after all that hard work. I hope she repaired ok.

Well this is the fruit of todays efforts. I cut the hull out, following the built in lines, which were nice & deep, so that was an easy job. Around the top of the deck at the bow it said cut to 3mm, I've left it bigger & will sand it down once the deck is in place, as I found this to be easier than trying to mark out 3mm all along the edge, worked the first time round, so should do again.
Fitting the rudders & shafts was straight forward. I've replaced the original plastic props with a pair of brass ones, which look a million times better. These are "Raboesch" props from S.H.G. Model supplies, a great company to deal with, next day delivery, can't ask for more than that !!
Cutting out the vac form observation chamber, again straight forward, drilling out the holes for the port holes was a bit tricky, as the plastic is very thin & you have to drill right on the join for three of the holes, which tended to make the join open again. I used a square file to open the holes & finished off carefully with a surgical blade. once I've put some pug around the edges, it should look fine.
I'm going to use some two pak clear glue for the port hole glass.
Next job is the keel & main floor for the electrics etc. I'm going to put some lead under the floor, as there is a nice sized gap which will help with the ballast. Dan.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 02:15:21 pm »

Well here's the latest installment. Observation chamber has been filled & smoothed down, & brass port holes fitted ready for priming. I added the keel, & then fitted some lead flashing cut into strips alongside the keel, as it needs quite a lot of ballast 7-8 lbs I recall, so I thought it would be better to hide some of it under the main floor. I keyed up the hull with some 100 grit & stuck the lead down with some 2 pak epoxy, worked a treat. Main floor then went on next again epoxied into place & held in position with 2 SLR rifles, most usefull for this type of job, no home should be without them !! I've also added the front bulkhead, on the plans it is shown fitted on top of the main floor, but it then stands proud of the upper main deck, so I've fitted it on the end, where it fits perfectly, I'm not sure if this is a printing error or you're supposed to trim it, but it works fine where it is  ( past experience tells me so ) so I'll leave it be.
More to follow when work permits..... Dan.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 07:59:22 pm »

I was gonna say 'it's a terrible build', but in view of "held in position with 2 SLR rifles" I think it's the best Calypso I've ever seen!  ???

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 08:37:09 pm »

I was gonna say 'it's a terrible build', but in view of "held in position with 2 SLR rifles" I think it's the best Calypso I've ever seen!  ???

Very wise obe wan

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 09:38:17 pm »

Of course, it's what we all have lying around - 2 slr rifles available to double up as clamps!

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

slewis

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 09:55:58 pm »

It does of course offer up the obvious question .
Why do you have 2 SlRs' in your possesion ?
Are you not in Uk or are you building on a Military base somewhere in which case I would of thought they should be in the armoury ?
I may of missed something along the line but when I was in the RN arms were closely gaurded NOT used to build model boats !  ;D ;D

Shane

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 09:47:14 am »

It does of course offer up the obvious question .
Why do you have 2 SlRs' in your possesion ?
Are you not in Uk or are you building on a Military base somewhere in which case I would of thought they should be in the armoury ?
I may of missed something along the line but when I was in the RN arms were closely gaurded NOT used to build model boats !  ;D ;D

Shane
Well so you don't all start getting worried, the wooden one is just that, a mock up made from wood, & the black plastic one is a de activated real one thats welded solid, another one of my hobbies. You have to admit they make great wieghts though.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 05:48:59 pm »

Hi all, here's the latest installment on the build. Not much happened over the weekend as that horrible thing called work got in the way of modelling, yet again !!!

I managed to fit the rudder linkage & motors, Added the wooden deck mounting strip around the edge of the hull, I used cyno glue for this stuck really well.
The main deck is 2.5mm ply, & very flexible, so when you put it in the hull, it tends to bow in the middle, so I added several strips of 8mm square wood on the underneath to strengthen it up a bit, I left the front hole clear so to leave enough room to get the battery in. I know the others cover the motors, & if I ever need to remove them I can carefully remove the braces as they are only cynoed in on the ends.
I've photocopied all the decks, as they have where all the fittings go printed on them, which is great until you add the planking, & cover them all up, so I thought that was a good idea for reference.
One other thing, if you look in a previous picture, you will see some epoxy glue called 151, I got this from a local cheap shop to see what it's like, & at £1.29 a go it's really great value for money. It dries in approx 3-5 Min's & goes rock hard, much cheaper than branded makes.
Well thats all folks .................Dan.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 10:59:11 am »

Not much to add at present, fitted the stabalizers on the hull. these were made from a moulding supplied, with the ends rounded off, again stuck with cyno, this material really likes cyno.

bigH

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 12:22:25 pm »

Thanks Dan I really appreciate you putting up this thread, I have been given a Calypso that really needs some??? NO make that A lot of TLC, and after this I am seriously going to think of stripping it down for a rebuild,   If you dont mind I will wait until you finish then copy all of the photos and remarks to use.
   You are doing a fine damm job of it mate, keep it up.    Harry

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 12:49:40 pm »

Thanks Dan I really appreciate you putting up this thread, I have been given a Calypso that really needs some??? NO make that A lot of TLC, and after this I am seriously going to think of stripping it down for a rebuild,   If you dont mind I will wait until you finish then copy all of the photos and remarks to use.
   You are doing a fine damm job of it mate, keep it up.    Harry
Hi Harry, no mate I don't mind at all, thats what it's here for. I'm glad someone can make use of it.
Sometimes I think well thats obvious that goes there etc, but I'll try to be as informative as poss without boring the reader.
Stick a pic of yours on now so we can see just how much work you have ahead of you  All the best Dan.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 05:06:47 pm »

Managed to cut out the sides of the hull this afternoon. They come on a printed sheet of plasti card, approx 2mm thick, so you need a really sharp knife & steady hand. You have to cut out several holes for the cleats, I used a very small drill & trimmed with the point of my knife. there is a injected plastic detail moulding to glue to the outside, A loads of wooden strips to simulate the hulls ribs on the inside. These can't be fitted until the planking for the main deck has been glued in place.

bigH

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 05:20:51 pm »

Thanks Dan,  I will get a photo up as soon as I can master the way to do it, at the moment my grandson is showing me how to do things, only hope I live long enough to learn it all.    Harry

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 10:46:52 pm »

Well planking finally arrived from the good old U S of A. It took 4 weeks to get here, but who's counting. I was going to use the photo copies of the deck I made as a template, however when I went to cut them out I found I'd slightly enlarged the copy, so that Idea was scrubbed. I decided to carefully cut out the planking by eye, got it 99% right, the small undercuts won't be seen once the side & stern bulwarks are in position. I used cyno to stick the planking to the main deck, again stuck really well, firstly I stained the edges of the planks so any glue wouldn't stick on the plain wood, & seal it from the stain, has this happen on first boat, lesson learnt !!
After completing the deck , the planks were sanded with 320 then 500 grit paper to get them smooth, & a couple of coats of teak wood stain added.
I know there aren't any ends to the planks, but at this scale & once the superstructure & deck fittings are in place you won't be able to see much anyway. 

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 11:07:25 pm »

Dan,
One member of a club I used to belong to had a Calypso.
He built it just as the instructions, but he used a 6volt 4Ah battery sitting on the motor base.
This made most of the battery above the waterline and she would turn turtle in even the slightest breeze.
I re-sited all the weight on the hull using thin foam to spread the loading for the battery.
Result a very stable model.
I don't know which battery you are going to use, just a word to the wise.
She was a US minesweeper, but with lots of additional topweight.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 11:15:14 pm »

Dan,
One member of a club I used to belong to had a Calypso.
He built it just as the instructions, but he used a 6volt 4Ah battery sitting on the motor base.
This made most of the battery above the waterline and she would turn turtle in even the slightest breeze.
I re-sited all the weight on the hull using thin foam to spread the loading for the battery.
Result a very stable model.
I don't know which battery you are going to use, just a word to the wise.
She was a US minesweeper, but with lots of additional topweight.

Bob
Hi Bob, I encountered that problem with my first build. I'm still using a 6v 4ah battery, but this time I've added quite a bit of lead under the motor floor, see earlier pic, this should help with ballasting . I will need more, but that can be added in the bow & stern sections, seemed to work  with the first build ok.... famous last words !!!! Cheers though Dan.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2007, 03:13:21 am »

Well planking finally arrived from the good old U S of A. It took 4 weeks to get here, but who's counting.

Ahoy Dan
(TLAPD)

There was a mention of this type of planking on a planking thread.
Some of us would be interested in more details.

Who is ths suppier?
And out of interest, how long are the strips and how much was postage?

I am looking for a timber supplier, but postage from the UK is crazy for anything over about 500mm. (I am in China)

TT

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2007, 08:54:07 am »

Dan,
If you can still access the "floor" cut out a hole just big enough for the battery, this will hold the battery secure and let it drop onto the hull.
She has a lot of topweight so needs ballasting deep.
then you end up with a good stable model.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2007, 11:20:24 am »

The space under he floor is full of lead, so no space available, the first one I built I added extra ballast & she ended up nice & stable, so I'm not to worried about her turning over, ( Here's where I regret saying that).

Planking sheets are from  www.MicroMark.com   & are 3" wide by 22" long & come in various width planks. I think the postage to the UK was approx £7.00, but I had a few other bits & pieces too.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2007, 03:27:35 pm »

Well todays efforts consisted of side pieces & rails.
The side pieces were glued in place as were the wooden ribs. The sides are quite easily knocked off even with the ribs fitted, so care has to be taken whilst handling the boat.
The wooden hand rails were fitted using cyno, & the edges smoothed off to give that worn appearance. On the port side rear, the rail had to be bent to allow for the large crane thats fits on the rear, I boiled the wood for approx 20-30 Min's & that softened the wood enough to allow it to bend thew tight curve OK.
The side rubbing strips were also added & smoothed off.
Thats about it, stern detail to follow. Dan. 

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2007, 06:16:35 pm »

Decided to finish off the stern detail. The end piece was made from sandwiching togeather two pieces of hand rail, & filing out the apertures for the fairleads etc. Added a little pug to fill any holes etc & smoothed off.
Inner view shows how it nicely covers the ends of the planking.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.