Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Tutorials & "How To’s" ...

Propshaft 'stuck' due to saltwater.

(1/3) > >>

rob:
any advice on how to unstick seized prop shaft please ?
A very nice Robbe Koh I Noor is suffering.
It is fitted with a Robbe Navy type motor/gearbox/shaft so my idea of taking out the shaft and replacing it is a no go.
If I can't free it, the owner is going to put it into the local antique/curio/junk shop !
As its lovely,  fitted with a wing keel, Nylet sails and 2.4 Futaba this will be a great shame.

derekwarner:
Rob.....

You could immerse the offending shaft in very warm water with a small squirt of liquid dish washing detergent in a stove top Pyrex dish

The dish washing liquid alters the chemistry/make up of the water and actually makes it thinner and slippery

The very warm soapy water will migrate up into the prop shaft tubing & hence loosen by dilution, the salt build up .....[this may take a number of hours in keeping the water very warm on the stove top]

Is this the same vessel from your 2004 Mayhem questions?...........Derek

Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 10:22:37 AM »

Robbe Koh I Noor

I am about to overhaul a model that I built many years ago, and the owner would like a more scale like sail set.
Anyone done this before ? And would share what they did ?
Anyone have a recommended sail supplier ?
Many thanks in advance for your ideas/recommendations.

rob:
Thankyou Derek, I think it's worth a try.
Yes, it's the same (very nice sailer now) boat.

Netleyned:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?432983-Robbe-Navy-Kompakt-Motor-and-Drive-help%21

Does this help?

Ned

rob:
Thanks Ned, probably not though.
When building it, it was a case of mounting the motor on its wooden framework, glueing it in and the glueing the shaft. It's pretty tight in there space wise.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version