Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Horible Paint job  (Read 6847 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Horible Paint job
« on: August 26, 2007, 07:30:30 pm »

Here are the result of my attempts at painting.

I have acquired an Air brush and compressor and today, I started learning about paint spraying. (the hard way)

As you can see, there is crazing on the surface.  The first coat was white, which was sprayed on from a Halfords tin. The second coat was a deep red from a brush on Plasticote, which was sanded smooth because it was a horrible colour, but not completely removed.

Enter the air brush learner..... I have used Humbrol paints which are mixed 50% with Humbrol thinners. I was trying the green, just to practice with on a flat surface, and this is the result.  ooh er.  :embarrassed:

I shall have to sand this lot off and try again, I suppose. 

I have also sprayed my Vliestroom, which I show the pictures in my build section. This is only the first coats and will need tidying up a bit, but I show them, Warts and all.    ;D

Cheers...Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Stavros

Re: Horible Paint job
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 08:02:40 pm »

What thinners did you use cos it looks like a reaction to me more than dust,what primer did you use etc

Stavros

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 08:08:04 pm »

I have had problems with incompatability between Halfords and Plasticote.   Pete M
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 08:08:24 pm »

Ken

That looks like a reaction of some sort and the paint looks very thick for an airbrush application. Go for several light coats rather than a few thick ones and don't expect it to cover completely on the first coat.

I always (well nearly always) clean the styrene with surgical spirit and try not to touch it too much so as not to introduce static.

Apart from cleanliness there are three things to remember with airbrushing:

PRACTICE               PRACTICE               PRACTICE              

but not on your pride and joy

Best of luck

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 08:17:17 pm »

Hi everyone

Originally, I sprayed white undercoat using the Halfords tin paint about three weeks ago. Then I used a brush to apply the plasticote and that looked all lumpy and showed brush marks, (it turned out to be a horrible bright red anyway)

I sanded the lot to a smooth surface today but admit there was both colours showing when I sprayed with the Humbrol. I agree with you on the chemical reaction. It certainly is very prominent eh !!

I also agree with the over spray. Beginners fault here. I shall go more steady. I was trying the nozzle adjust screw and thought I was spraying a car.   :embarrassed:

I shall removed the Bl.....y lot tommorrow and start again.   Have a look at Vliestoom build.  Talk about bleed through with the dividing tape  !!  Hey Ho, Perhaps I should keep practicing like you say.

Cheers...Ken

cdsc123

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 08:54:19 pm »

Chem reaction more likely to manifest itself as crinkling, crazing usually due to substrate layer not fully cured.

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 08:58:17 pm »

Hi Ken,

Sorry to hear of your painting problems. My method is to use Halfords spray primer grey or white as required as the base coat. I spray the area required with a very thin coat, leave about 5 mins, repeat exercise maybe 5 or 6 times, or maybe more as required, until I get an even build up but without any runs. Its very tempting to spray too much paint too soon to completely cover an area first time around. Be sparing with your coverage on each coat.  This primer is normally ok if Humbrol is used as a top coat.

As regards to enamel. Get the mix and air pressure correct and the paint will be dry almost on contact. Allow a little more time between coats as too much build up too soon will cause runs.

I've just hand painted part of my latest project using plastikote but thinned in down using white spirit as the paint can be rather thick and if you're covering a large area then it can start dry so quickly that you cant blend in the paint.
Look on the positive side, at least you aint melted the abs  O0

Pointy

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 09:01:06 pm »

Don't use halfords and plasticote together!!!

I thought my coaster looked good, but months and months later the plasticote varnish started to react to the halfords paint  :'(

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 11:38:54 am »

Came down this morning to this .............

I was held back from cutting my wrist by the crowds.   :'(

Ken

Stavros

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 01:16:02 pm »

Right Kenny it seems to me that the humbrol thinners has attacked the plasticoat paint.I seem to see this happening more and more,one of our group members is having this problem,it seems to me that the only way forward is to only use one type of paint from start to finish,this is what I do all her time,if I start off with Halfords acrylics I stick to them.If I start with humbrol or plasticoat well simple I stick to this system throughout.The paint bleeding IE red into white is caused by thinners creeping under the tape,easy soloution either but electrical insulation tape and use this first and then apply masking tape on top of it and mask as usual,or buy some Tamya fine line masking tape or go to your local motor car paint factors such as Partco,Brown Bros and buy yet again fine line tape.
Best of luck if you need advise pm me for my tel no

Stavros

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 02:40:44 pm »

I now use Halfords for all my painting jobs, but I normally apply Humbrol matt lacquer over it to give a protective coat.   I no longer have any paint problems.   Pete M

Stavros

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 03:45:35 pm »

you been listening to uncle Stav then ?

Stavros

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 06:53:45 pm »

Stav, I admire your capabilities, but at 76 I am a bit old to be your nephew.   Regards,  Pete M

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 11:18:34 am »

Well, this morning it looks much better.  I was sanding all day yesterday with the wet and dry and plenty of water.

What I have left is a nice flat surface with traces of all the colours blended flat.  Ths cabin roof was torn apart to ease the sanding and new sides have been constructed.

1st question.  Is this allright to cover with Halfords grey undercoat, or does the surface have to be free of all paint ?

2nd question.  Will succesive coats fill the tiny scratches.

ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 11:21:37 am »

Here are some pictures of "Mr Horrible"

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 11:40:14 am »

I usually use Plastikote myself, but I'm assuming that you are going to use Halfords as your top coat.
I would apply several thin coats to one section only to see what occurs. I would think if you just applied several thin coats you would be alright.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 12:44:45 pm »

Ken,

Halfords do I spray filler which should get rid of your scratches. Apply first. Lightly rub down (You should be good at that by now),
then apply primer.  I havent used the filler for a few years now but it came out yellow so primer was needed before final top coats.

I assume that you will try on a test piece following your previous experiece.

Terry.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 12:59:45 pm »

Re Halford's spray filler - a recent post somewhere else on the Forum advised against using it as the formula may have changed. Can't remember the details though. If the scratches are not deep then repeated thin applications of grey primer rubbed down between coats will do the job.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 01:14:33 pm »

Re Halfords filler /primer:

I have used it on my current build, it comes out yellow, but if you do what it says on the tin, it works great - look at steam drifter build, the superstructure was all sprayed with this prior to final topcoats.

Through experience I have found that several lights coats, with drying times as recommended (15 mins between coats I think for primer/filler) is the way ahead.

Sshake the tin for 10 mins before you start, and shake continually between coats.

Warm the tin prior to use - stand in hot (not boiling) water for 10 mins or so.

Good luck

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

bigH

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 04:49:36 pm »

Can I just place an addendum to Ian's advice on warming the paint,    Be very careful with the temprature, a slight leek from a pressurised vessel and
   BANG

Stavros

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 09:39:56 pm »

KEN PHONE ME UGNT CHECK YOUR PM BOX BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING

STAVROS

Stavros

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 09:50:13 pm »

KENNY DONT DO ANYTHING TILL YOU HAVE TALKED TO ME ON THE PHONE
If you use halfords primer filler on top of what I have sen a reaction will DEFINATLY take place.Kenny you need to talk to a PROFFESIONAL and listen to what I have to say ,I have 25yrs+ of experience painting various paints and should know a few tricks of the trade.Read your pm for my te no

Stavros

slewis

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 10:38:17 pm »

Ken   call Dave  he does know the score  O0 O0

Shane  ;)

slewis

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2007, 10:40:14 pm »

Dave the sooner we have that paint tutorial sorted the better methinks  O0
Let me know what you have or email it to me and I can look at it and make suggestions

Shane

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2007, 11:38:48 am »

Stavros

Thanks for the mail.     Everything on hold till we speak.  Have PM'd you.   O0

Ken

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.