Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Queen Elizabeth  (Read 48213 times)

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
Re: HMS Queen Elizabeth
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2017, 01:14:37 am »

Defence Secretary has announced today (Tuesday) that HMS Queen Elizabeth will be arriving at Portsmouth in the next few weeks, putting an end to rumours
Bob
Presumably not until the channel is deep enough and they have removed all the old explosives.  %%
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-40787660

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2017, 08:54:09 am »

well she was on national news announcing it and the dockyard is frantically working to be ready in time.  Have to wait and see.
I will finish this model

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2017, 01:03:52 pm »

It is rumoured that the dates for her arrival at Portsmouth are Friday 18th or Monday 21st. Also the reason why she's coming to Portsmouth early and not going back into Rosyth is that she used 11 tugs to get out of there and it would take the same to get her back in as well as the same to get back out again, quite a cost. She would also need to lower her mast again and of course wait for the right tide. Portsmouth can facilitate the work package. Anyway that's the story!

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2017, 05:33:34 pm »

It is rumoured that the dates for her arrival at Portsmouth are Friday 18th or Monday 21st. Also the reason why she's coming to Portsmouth early and not going back into Rosyth is that she used 11 tugs to get out of there and it would take the same to get her back in as well as the same to get back out again, quite a cost. She would also need to lower her mast again and of course wait for the right tide. Portsmouth can facilitate the work package. Anyway that's the story!

Sounds very plausible to me, hope it is 21st not 18th, get my licence back after my eye operation but not till 19th grrr

Bob
I will finish this model

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2017, 03:02:27 pm »

HMS Queen Elizabeth was in Scapa Flow yesterday. A ceremony to commemorate the first aircraft to land on a ship at sea was attended by crew members. Lt. Dunning  RNAS flew a Sopwith Pup onto the flight deck of a HMS Furious 100 years ago on 17th August 1917.   Sadly he was killed a few days later when attempting to repeat the feat. A memorial plaque was erected.
..well can you land on this?

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2017, 09:40:09 pm »

The model of Furious at Yeovilton is marvellous. Interesting info Colin, to think we have been using carriers for a century!
Pond weed is your enemy

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2017, 12:09:35 am »

seems the 18th is favourite ("xxxxx" still will not know if I can drive), supposed to pass round tower at 9am, high tide a few minutes after  People are booking hotels, which is ok BUT RN not confirmed it.

Is anyone near Gloucester thinking of going and could manage a lift for one poss two people, would contribute fuel costs of course.

Bob
I will finish this model

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2017, 11:31:00 am »

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/defence/confirmed-supercarrier-hms-queen-elizabeth-could-arrive-in-portsmouth-as-early-as-thursday-august-17-1-8090267

So, it is confirmed that HMS Queen Elizabeth 'could' arrive between Aug 17th and Aug 22nd. Good news if you are planning to visit for a day! Still, I expect the first entry through the harbour mouth will be slow and steady, with the weather playing a big part of the operation. So we can now put weather watching into our search engines for the next couple of weeks also {-)
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2017, 12:10:52 am »

Bother!  <:(
Missed H.M.A.S. Canberra coming into Melbourne yesterday.
Not as big as QE but we do have 2 of them.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2017, 01:30:33 am »

I spent time tinkering <*< with the missile launcher, 76mm gun &  the CIWS on the previous HMAS Canberra & her main engines actually worked

This new HMAS Canberra......seatime? .....but that's only if her engines can rotate the pods ..........

A total embarrassment  :embarrassed: to the Australian Navy created by dumbsh*t  >>:-( Politicians...........

And yes, we do have two of the same specie 

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2017, 07:38:01 am »

We were going to have pods, decided against it. We were going to have electric catapults, decided against it.. Pods seem unreliable, catapults pulling the aircraft apart.....maybe things are looking up for the RN %)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2017, 12:16:32 pm »

Arrival watch. HMS Queen Elizabeth at Portsmouth.

Queens Harbour Master, Portsmouth.
Updated approx. mid day. giving shipping movements for next two days:
http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/qhm/portsmouth/shipping-movements
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2017, 01:59:46 pm »

Also, useful to know, on Friday, after about lunchtime, they publish Friday through to Mondays movements. However by Saturday, it is back to just that day and the next..could be useful.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2017, 04:23:17 pm »

I think it will be a late decision. This will be the biggest ship ever to enter Portsmouth and for the first time so they will want the weather and tidal envelope to be within strict limits. The won't want to risk scratching it.....

Colin

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2017, 04:59:06 pm »

I believe they are being cagy as this is the first time anyone has tried getting anything that big into Portsmouth Harbour.  With a slight risk of a dented hull, or a flight deck scraped against the Round Tower ("Left hand down a bit"), the fewer people there to witness it the fewer red faces.  :embarrassed:
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2017, 05:11:08 pm »

I think there will be a lot of people there, more than for the departure of the three Invincibles and there were a lot then. I live in Surrey so only an hour and a quarter from Portsmouth and quite happy to get up early for it. The locals will be out in force too.

I have an annual dockyard ticket and when the ship is berthed there should be a good view from the balcony of the RN Museum Victory gallery. I imagine the local pleasure boats will be busy too.

Colin

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2017, 06:54:10 pm »

Plan your parking early. I would suggest the Park and Ride on the M275, it only has about 600 or so spaces, but buses link to Gunwharf Quays every fifteen minutes. About another ten minute walk to Old Portsmouth, or watch it at Gunwharf, or up the Spinnaker Tower. Parking is restricted in Old Portsmouyh but there should be ample pay and display either further up the seafront or just inland a road or two....or live locally and ride your bike!!

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2017, 01:06:04 pm »

HMS Queen Elizabeth entered Invergordon Harbour, Ross-shire, again yesterday 9th Aug for refuelling prior to heading south. Large crowds were drawn to the town and special parking and speed limits were put in place. The Black Isle had similar restrictions on the other side of the Firth. Going to be hectic in Portsmouth when she arrives.

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2017, 01:44:41 pm »

If I had to take a bet on the day she arrives I would go for the Friday so as to give the crew weekend leave. This of course is weather and tide dependant, especially wind, we wouldn't want to see her do a Vanguard.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2017, 01:48:43 pm »

Some very nice videos on Youtube of her previous visit to the Cromarty Firth a fortnight ago.  Try this one by Royal Navy from on board HMS Queen Elizabeth and the cruise liner of similar name . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-qRiP3ekNc 

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2017, 06:10:18 pm »

If I had to take a bet on the day she arrives I would go for the Friday so as to give the crew weekend leave. This of course is weather and tide dependant, especially wind, we wouldn't want to see her do a Vanguard.

If I were still in the Andrew and serving on a carrier,
Ex Victorious, Centaur and The Big E
I would be expecting Thursday
to get squared away for LWE Friday
and some LB's aka watchkeepers, sliding
off for an extenders fr Thurs Tea!
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2017, 06:19:54 pm »

Friday seems to be the logical day if the weather holds. As someone has already said, high water Portsmouth is around 9:15 BST although the favourable tidal streams and period of slack water won't necessarily be at that time. I did have a tidal atlas for the area but it is packed away somewhere. Maybe a member with better knowledge of the subject can help out there.

Colin

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2017, 06:54:12 pm »

If tidal streams and hws have to decide movements of a significant asset then I think she should park
where the Nimitz dropped her pick when she came
visitn

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2017, 07:12:13 pm »

Ned,

This will be the first time the largest ship to enter Portsmouth has done so. Naturally they want conditions to be optimum. That doesn't mean that the same limitations will apply in future once they get used to how she handles.

It was the same when the big Brittany Ferry Normandie arrived for the first time, she was twice the size of the existing ferries and the QHM insisted on tugs being present while she was berthing until it was demonstrated that the ship could manage perfectly well by herself.

Much better to be safe than sorry, I think the authorities are being very sensible.

Incidentally tidal streams through Portsmouth entrance can be quite fierce and exciting if you are in a small boat! There can be a standing wave across the narrowest part.

Colin

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2017, 07:31:22 pm »

Thought I would ask again, is anyone in the Gloucester area thinking of going to welcome her in? would love a lift, cant drive due to this dam eye op.  Would contribute to petrol, don't mind Sparrow fart start :)
Bob
I will finish this model
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.