Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Invincible- The First Battlecruiser  (Read 71793 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: HMS Invincible- The First Battlecruiser
« Reply #325 on: June 20, 2020, 04:28:05 pm »

Good for you Nick, bloomin boats  :(( If I had the dosh, I would definitely go printed for the blighters.

Sorry to hear about your busy and stressful week. Seven strikes? Nature really didn't like that aircraft.
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #326 on: April 09, 2023, 04:21:29 pm »

Right it’s time I got on with some model building as I’ve not been enough in the last two years. I’ve made a restart to finish the two Battlecruisers on my bench. Invincible has sat for far too long so with that I ordered some signal flags from Mike Allsop aka Flag Man: these read as follows- 2WN or ‘General Chase’.
This was the order given at the battle of the Falkland Islands 1914. These will attached to the signal yard in anticipation of her cruiser squadron chasing down Von Spee’s Squadron.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #327 on: April 11, 2023, 08:58:49 pm »

Excellent news Nick! I look forward to seeing these launched and being lithe on a pond near you soon!
Pond weed is your enemy

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #328 on: June 25, 2023, 03:15:23 pm »

I expect you already know Nick, but I will mention in case you are not aware, the anti torpedo netting arrangement was removed just before out break of war and put back in 1915/16 in time for her one way trip to Jutland. So she is just right to fly that signal for the Falklands chase. Beautiful model by the way you have there, you should have been a professional modeler, some thing to consider on demob.

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #329 on: June 26, 2023, 10:04:53 am »

In point of fact the torpedo nets were removed before she sailed to the Falklands. Whilst of limited value they were typically retained in home waters where submarine attack was more likely but for distant operations they were removed. On return some ships had them replaced and some did not. By the time of Jutland most ships had them removed but its unclear if Invincible carried hers or not. Frequently old pictures surface from an old books showing particular ships at particular times but the photos so captioned are often incorrect and were stock images being labelled by the publishers but have now passed into history as being accurate.

I have seen several pictures of Lion, one just after Jutland without Q turret and there are no booms. Another from the fighting at Jutland which purports to show the fire in Q turret and again no nets but I've also seen another picture of Lion returning from Jutland with nets clearly visible. (British Battleships of WW1 RA Burt). there are black marks on the side of the hull from hits and people on top of Q turret still pointing to port (others are fore and aft) so that seems genuine.

As regards Invincible exploding the pictures I have are just not clear enough to show she had nets or did not.

Its always a puzzle.

Cheers

Geoff

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #330 on: June 26, 2023, 11:20:03 am »

Hi, I picked up this info for Nick from the book "British Warship Recognition by Richard Perkins" which apparently was so accurate that the Admiralty managed to shut down his publications because they were worried about hostile foreign powers using for accurate identification. Its quite interesting as he puts in mods to the vessels as they progressed through live.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #331 on: June 26, 2023, 11:29:27 am »

Hi , further to my last, it would appear a large portion of Grand fleet capital ships lost their nets from about 1915 onwards according to this book, not knowing which vessels belonged to which squadron just wondered whether it depended on individual  squadron commanders.??

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #332 on: June 29, 2023, 10:12:04 pm »

Hi David

Thanks for the info, the Perkins books are excellent, I managed to complete my collection of them recently and regard them highly.
Thank you for confidence in my model making ability, personally I think I need another 10-20 years to improve after seeing some other modellers including Geoff’s work.
Hopefully with my new job and promotion I’ll be able to finish Invincible and continue with my next project of Glorious and future future project of Kongo.
Cheers  :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #333 on: June 30, 2023, 05:49:20 pm »

I am not sure you need many if any years to improve Nick. I would say you might have to many projects on the go, but that again may be a norm, or even a mark of prowess amongst the creative hobbies especially if you are doing things to all of them.

Regarding the model, build her to how you reckon she should be. She'll be fabulous what ever.
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.