The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Navy - Military - Battleships:

HMS Invincible- The First Battlecruiser

<< < (2/67) > >>

raflaunches:
Hi everyone

I have had some fun attaching the extension piece today and checking everything as I went. I found that I needed to place two pieces of wood beneath the joints as support and then place weights into the hull in form of old 12v SLA batteries to push the hull into shape. When everything was dry I found that there was a little bit of mis-alignment in the curvature sections but at worst is was only approx 0.5mm in difference. I have strengthened the joint with a layer of GRP and resin to seal the joint, never used GRP before and was surprised how easy it was to work with and for it to cure.
As warspite suggested I have filed the areas where the thicknesses were radically different and cause problems. Hopefully from the pictures below you should be able to see my progress.

derekwarner:
Hi Nick......the finished joint looks [mechanically] sound internally, however I must have missed how you actually joined both ends of the 5" extension piece as it appear they simply butted to either end of the hull shell?

So my fear is the downward forces of the mass within the hull will not be adequately supported

The extension piece from Deans has the same stepped profile as the hull, so you could consider scotch welding filaments of glass string outby of the extension piece and glass back over the surface in the depressions of the hull plates

In real life, many ships have been lengthened, an their hulls visibly display external doubling plates.....considering your model is of riveted plate construction....real simulated strengthening plates could be used in your model

[surfboard building was always a great pastime in OZ, & I learnt a few pointers in glass reinforcement from a mate ie., no point in only having the strength where you stand  <*<]

Derek

raflaunches:
Hi Derek

If you look in photos number 7 and 8 you can see my scarf joint being created by the piece of 1/32" marine ply which was seven inches wide allowing an inch on each side of the extension piece so I had something to glue to. The hull pieces aren't butt jointed, and the final pictures in my first post are not of the glued hull. There will be strengthening beams as per the Deans Marine Dreadnought kit so I've got something to attach platforms for motors, ESCs and batteries.
The real hull was a purpose built hull not an extended hull created afterwards so strengthening plates aren't required, the real vessel did suffer fatally at the Battle of Jutland when the hull broke into two after the final salvo from SMS Lutzow.

Capt Podge:
Hi Nick, is this a replacement for the Dreadnought hull from Germany ?

Sorry, but I'm a bit confused... :embarrassed:

Regards,

Ray.

raflaunches:
Hi Ray

I think you've definitely mixed my hulls, I've got too many! %%

This hull is from Deans Marine and is being converted into the first battlecruiser HMS Invincible.
I have her adversary SMS Scharnhorst as a GRP hull which came from Germany after a lengthy battle with the company which produced it. Together they will recreate the Battle of the Falkland Islands 1914.

Hope I've cleared up the confusion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version